Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What has happened to Torquay United?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Bottom of the National League and beaten 4-0 at home by Bromley last time out. They used to be a steady League 2/3 club. Obviously come upon hard times. Makes you realise what could have happened to the Albion 20 years ago.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Shouldn't have sacked Liam's dad ... certainly should have given him more than an hour

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Similar story to us back in the day. New chairman 2/3 years ago hell bent on redeveloping Plainmoor for housing and winding the club up/relocating them somewhere else.

In the meantime zero investment in the playing budget.

Sound familiar?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The stadium is also called " The Launa Windows Stadium" . . . imagine that !!

When was the last time we played there ? seem to recall a cup tie when McPhee got the winner maybe.

Was a decent result at the time.

Got place to visit Torquay

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
The stadium is also called " The Launa Windows Stadium" . . . imagine that !!

When was the last time we played there ? seem to recall a cup tie when McPhee got the winner maybe.

Was a decent result at the time.

Got place to visit Torquay

Remember us playing there in Round 3 of the FA cup possibly 2008/09 or 09/10 season. Freezing cold and IIRC kick off was delayed

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I used to like the fact that their result was always unknown when the classified pools check was read out because they preferred an evening kick-off. It made the English Riviera seem so exotic.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can vaguely remember, from the late sixties;

“To hell with Luton Town
To hell with Torquay
We’re gonna fight, fight, fight for the Albion
‘Til we win Division Three”

You are ahead of me AM.

The first version I remember was Aston Villa and Notts County.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Bit like York City too, who I think are in National North now. For some clubs the slide is steeper it seems.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I seem to remember a match at Gillingham where Rodney Jack and Jason Roberts smashed us.

Remember that as well. Those two were virtually unplayable that day, certainly for our lot anyway. Think it was 2-4 that day.

I also remember going down to Plainmoor, either New Years Day, or close to it. We were being searched as usual, various harmless items being confiscated as they could somehow be potentially dangerous if thrown. Then my mate bought a pie that was so heavy, and the pastry so solid that it could have rendered anyone concussed with the lightest of taps to the head. It was potentially a far more dangerous projectile than anything we'd had confiscated on the way in.

boliviaseagull

May 1, 2011
I go to a few Torquay games each season, parents live nearby. The quality hasn't dropped massively, which goes to show how tight the margins are, I don't see a huge difference from league one to the conference really. The new owners (stepped in last year) have a history of snapping up prime real estate for development, Plainmoor falls into that category being pretty central. There's a lot of feeling that the club is just being allowed to wind down for that purpose, pretty sad.

It does mean that you can park 200m from the ground currently though, and get back in the car and on the road in time for Sports Report...

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
Bit like York City too, who I think are in National North now. For some clubs the slide is steeper it seems.

There are plenty of fairly recent league clubs in the National League North - York, Kidderminster, Stockport, Boston, Darlington, & a few not so recent -Bradford PA, Southport, Gainsborough, & Chester likely to join them. Scarboro & Workington are even lower down the pyramid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here