Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kazenga Lua Lua: post-Albion

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Until Gus banned the somersaults in case he injured himself. Recommenced when Oscar took over of course.

While I loved seeing the gymnastics, for such an injury-prone player, I was always holding my breath and checking for any sign of a limp as he ran back afterwards. So, I could completely see where Gus was coming from on this one.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
he was incredible for us at times..

those first few games in Hughton's first full season,, he was absolutely on fire.
Then the inevitable injury and that was that.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I seem to remember it was his somersaults that ended his flying start through injury in Hughton's first whole season, when he scored about 7 in about as many games.

A fit Lua Lua is miles ahead of a fit Izquierdo imho.

Beat me to it.

Not sure about the miles ahead bit, but at the point that they have both cut inside and are preparing a shot...
My money would be on Kaz every time.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

That is absolutely mental. Totally, totally mental. If you REALLY believe that LuaLua is "miles ahead" of Izquierdo, there's no helping you. Wow.

LuaLua is one of the most one paced, one tricked ponies there's ever been and probably ever will be. In the right team, he's dangerous and effective. But there is no argument to be made that even on his best day, he's better than Izquierdo.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Beat me to it.

Not sure about the miles ahead bit, but at the point that they have both cut inside and are preparing a shot...
My money would be on Kaz every time.

People forget that Kaz could cross and even score with his left foot. Izquierdo would never dream about crossing with his left foot from the goal line and he would never pass or shoot with his left either. Warren Aspinall constantly talked about Izquierdo being a one trick pony. Kaz had a few more tricks up his sleeve I believe.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I seem to remember it was his somersaults that ended his flying start through injury in Hughton's first whole season, when he scored about 7 in about as many games.

Think we need to remember that Kaz was playing in a much inferior Albion side, and in a lower division too. Yes at times, particularly in League One he tore the opposition apart. Worth noting though taht in the Championship he wasn't quite as effective and struggled to make the starting line up much of the time.

So no, as much as l loved him at the time, he isn't as good a player as Jose Izquierdo.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How can you possibly conclude that from what we know!?

It could just as easily be the precise opposite.

The club offered him a contract that he didnt accept so walked away. I cannot see that the club would have upped their offer, although it is possible, it seems more likely that he had a change of heart and decided to accept their contract offer.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Think we need to remember that Kaz was playing in a much inferior Albion side, and in a lower division too. Yes at times, particularly in League One he tore the opposition apart. Worth noting though taht in the Championship he wasn't quite as effective and struggled to make the starting line up much of the time.

So no, as much as l loved him at the time, he isn't as good a player as Jose Izquierdo.

Kaz generally lost his place through injury but from what I have seen of Izquierdo he has struggled in the Prem apart from the one wonder goal. As I said at least Kaz could use his left foot and wasn't as one dimensional as Izy but i's all about opinions. I have a feeling we wont see Izquierdo play for the first team again but time will decide that one.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
People forget that Kaz could cross and even score with his left foot. Izquierdo would never dream about crossing with his left foot from the goal line and he would never pass or shoot with his left either. Warren Aspinall constantly talked about Izquierdo being a one trick pony. Kaz had a few more tricks up his sleeve I believe.

Izquierdo has only played at the highest level in England, that would make a difference !

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Everyone forgetting Izquierdo's 5 goals and 4 assists from only 23 starts the season before last? One dimensional maybe, but too good to stop at times. Far more effective and more end product than Lua Lua, even when he was fit.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Everyone forgetting Izquierdo's 5 goals and 4 assists from only 23 starts the season before last? One dimensional maybe, but too good to stop at times. Far more effective and more end product than Lua Lua, even when he was fit.

Lua Lua proved several times that he had plenty of end product.
That boy has one hell of a shot on him.

Don't disagree that Izzy was superb the season before last though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here