Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Tennis on the radio

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Just listening to the Kyle Edmund match on 5 Live. Is it just me or is tennis on the radio utterly rubbish?

'He hits it over the net, he hits it back, he hits it over the net...'

Can't think of a sport less suited to radio commentary.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Snooker

EUm_Xr.gif

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It is all to do with the quality of the commentary. Unfortunately most radio commentators, including for football, are useless at 'painting a picture for the listener'. They talk about what they can see, they don't describe it. I hardly ever listen to sports commentary on the radio now... including BBC Sussex... I would rather read text updates, twitter etc...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Darts - he throw a dart and scores 20, he throws a dart and scores 60, he throws a dart and scores 1, that's 81

Football - he kicks the ball, he heads the ball, one team attack, the other team attack and the other team score

Javelin - He runs up and throw the javelin, its landed 120 metres away

High Jump - She's running towards the stick, she's jumping, oh she's hit the stick and fails.

Isn't sport on the radio dependent on the quality of the commentator rather than the sport itself

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
:fishing:

Well he started with a maggot and has now decided to go with a fly, controversial decision there. We cant show your the VAR, but will report back in 4 hours, stay tuned

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
1979 Fastnet Yacht Race:
"They are sailing"
"wind's getting up"
"half of them have sunk"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just listening to the Kyle Edmund match on 5 Live. Is it just me or is tennis on the radio utterly rubbish?

This is the reason why the BBC are able to afford to pay for the coverage rights.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I think the experience for any sport on the radio is dependent on the quality of the commentator as there are no pictures to provide the detail. The commentator has to be your eyes at the event and describe the events in both an informative and enjoyable manner.
Unlike TV where if the commentator is poor you can mute the sound and just go with the visual experience, for the radio a poor commentator either means switching off and missing the event or suffering the poor commentary.

You may think golf wouldn't work on the radio, but the hushed tones around the green seem to work.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Aside from listening to the Albions games (which is basically a tense, sweat-soaked, angst-ridden nightmare where the oppo ALWAYS seem to be on the brink of scoring) I’ve always found football commentary on the radio a complete borefest. If I’m in the car listening to 5-Live or (deep breath) TalkSPORT, I’d far rather hear some general studio chitchat, or have them flying round the grounds for various updates, rather than tune in for a 90 minute commentary on a particular match. Its so dull. I’d rather listen to the shipping forecast.

As for tennis...I'd sooner chew off my own arm at the shoulder than listen to a single set on the radio. Dullness personified.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It is all to do with the quality of the commentary. Unfortunately most radio commentators, including for football, are useless at 'painting a picture for the listener'. They talk about what they can see, they don't describe it. I hardly ever listen to sports commentary on the radio now... including BBC Sussex... I would rather read text updates, twitter etc...

Very true in a lot of sports. But the problem with tennis is that it's too quick to be able to describe what's happening.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Listening to darts on the radio, whilst in the Falklands is a hoot, especially the Benny who's commentating :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is all to do with the quality of the commentary. Unfortunately most radio commentators, including for football, are useless at 'painting a picture for the listener'.
To be fair they don't have much time to paint a picture between shots in Tennis.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I was thinking exactly the same thing as I listened to the early games of the Edmund match.

The 5Live commentator was poor. After one point of "backhand, then a forehand, then a backhand" Edmund ended up losing the point and the commentator then observed that Cilic had had him on the run for most of the rally, but there was no sense of that during the point..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here