Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Notters View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Got a Google Home mini for my birthday and it's bloody fantastic. Great sound quality. Better than an echo which my friend has, let alone a dot. Looks good too.
    I've got two full-sized Google Homes and a mini. I love the mini, I use it in the kitchen, stuck to a tile. It has reasonable sound quality for a small speaker and is fine listening to quiet music and voice. However, I cast from it to a Chromecast audio in an old Sony mini hifi which has loads better sound quality.

If you can pick up a mini on offer, it's a bargain.
    If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      I do music 'on the go' the old fashioned way.

Tons of lossless albums on the phone, take a wonderful sounding mini b/t speaker and move it to whichever room I'm in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	96002
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      How are these expensive single-speaker solutions ever going to be better than even a cheap twin-speaker stereo setup? I don't get it. Maybe I'm too old.
      On the BHA rollercoaster Icy Gull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Arthritic Toe View Post
      How are these expensive single-speaker solutions ever going to be better than even a cheap twin-speaker stereo setup? I don't get it. Maybe I'm too old.
      They’re not but it does mean you can take the speaker anywhere in the house or the garden. The quality of my Bose Soundlink is more than adequate (actually it’s better than adequate , it is very good) 90 percent of the time but I do occasionally play music loud through the sound system. Having both is ideal

Continuing the old school thought though, I often listen to old albums on my car stereo and I am shocked that modern albums (well the ones I have anyway) are not stereo in the way old 70’s albums are. For example drums or vocals in one speaker and guitar or harmonies in the other. I bloody love that effect. Why has it been dumped for what often sounds like a poor mono recording?
      Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser - Toto Wolff
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      They don’t but it does mean you can take the speaker anywhere in the house or the garden. The quality of my Bose Soundlink is more than adequate 90 percent of the time but I do occasionally play music loud through the sound system. Having both is ideal
      Yes, I get that the portability is handy. I suppose my point is that arguing the toss over one vastly expensive single speaker system over another, in terms of sound quality, is a bit redundant, given that you have already thrown away 80% of the audio experience by virtue of it being a single speaker.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Arthritic Toe View Post
      New technology always comes at a premium. Google Home and Alexa are pretty affordable but not really that great for listneing to music, merely 'adequate'. The more expensive options will come down in price. They are great if you have a music subscription to spotify, play music, deezer etc. I won't include Apple Pod in that because as far as i am aware, it is locked into Apple Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post

Continuing the old school thought though, I often listen to old albums on my car stereo and I am shocked that modern albums (well the ones I have anyway) are not stereo in the way old 70’s albums are. For example drums or vocals in one speaker and guitar or harmonies in the other. I bloody love that effect. Why has it been dumped for what often sounds like a poor mono recording?
      Most older albums were produced for a better standard of equipment than most people listen to nowadays, the ubiquity of mobile listening for younger people for instance. Stereo was very 'obvious' in the early days, i.e. The Beatles playing with vocals on the left and the instruments on the right and developed far more subtlety in the 70's and 80's where a more complete and full sound was achieved. Loads of older stuff consequently sounds superior to the more recent sounds, particulalry to the older 'trained' ear.
      If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......