Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Hugh Masakela dies

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Hugh Masakela has died

A great jazz trumpeter and an anti-apartheid campaigner to boot. A hero for me on two fronts.

:angel:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42786749

Great man. Saw him and his band at Coasters in Brighton in the mid-80s, and he was still going strong and playing brilliantly when I saw him a few years ago at the Brecon Jazz Festival. RIP s-l225.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Great man. Saw him and his band at Coasters in Brighton in the mid-80s, and he was still going strong and playing brilliantly when I saw him a few years ago at the Brecon Jazz Festival. RIP

I've seen him three times, all within the last 10 years or so. The last time just he and an american pianist on stage. Brilliant music and also a human and funny raconteur relating his dealings with people like Louis Armstrong and Miles Davis, who said to him something like "If you can take some of our sh1t, and mix it up with your own sh1t, you're gonna come up with some sh1t"..... and he wasn't talking about illegal substances.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
A great performer. Saw him at Glasto in the 80's. RIP.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I stand corrected.

He's not as big a hero as Chris HOUGHTON, though.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Masekela's sound will probably be more familiar to most people by his trumpet playing on The Byrds' "So You Want to Be a Rock n Roll Star"

https://youtu.be/saAoTPXcPSg

Pop Trivia: I've just read that the screaming fans featured on this track were recorded at a concert in Bournemouth (UK) of all places. Well I never. Not really a place that has many musical associations.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here