Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Points taken off the big 6 this season

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Points taken off the big 6 teams this season among the bottom 10 in the PL thus far this season;

West Ham - 5 (7 games)
Watford - 5 (7)
Stoke - 4 (8)
Swansea - 4 (8)
Palace - 4 (8)
Huddersfield - 3 (6)
West Brom - 3 (7)
Bournemouth - 3 (8)
Southampton - 3 (8)
Newcastle - 1 (7)
Brighton - 0 (7)

The comparative failure to take any points off the big 6 teams in the division is really killing us when it comes to those games against our direct rivals where we've dropped points IMHO. At some point we need to turn one of them over if we're to have a hope of staying up.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We’ve only scored 1 goal haven’t we ? To negative and over awed. We respect the other teams to much and try to play for a draw

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I think it’s partly inexperience. If we can stay up, we’ll know better how to set up against the big 6 in future seasons.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Our best performance was away at United where we would have got something if we had finished better. Their goal was a fluke. Our big chance was Chelsea on Saturday. Two goals in the first ten minutes while we settled into a new defensive formation. Missed chances a d denied penalties.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We’ve only scored 1 goal haven’t we ? To negative and over awed. We respect the other teams to much and try to play for a draw

We've got people saying we need to be more negative in parking the bus on the Swansea v Liverpool thread!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Arsenal at home looks the shortest long-shot for a point.... if they don't turn up.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Our best performance was away at United where we would have got something if we had finished better. Their goal was a fluke. Our big chance was Chelsea on Saturday. Two goals in the first ten minutes while we settled into a new defensive formation. Missed chances a d denied penalties.

Swansea got some real good fortune last night, even down to Firmino missing an absolute gift at the end. Deflected goals conceded against United and Spurs really hurt us when we'd defended so well, and to be honest, we've missed some great chances as well against Liverpool, Chelsea, Solly hitting the upright at Arsenal.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

We had little or no chance v Chelsea.

They had decided that they needed to bounce back after a few draws recently ( they are still 12 games unbeaten ) and our new formation gave them every opportunity to hit us hard and early. Fans are forgetting the saves that Ryan made. Chelsea could easily have scored 4 in that first half and overall we could have conceded 6 or 7. Unlike Swansea, we were a complete shambles at the back and unless this improves dramatically, it will undermine us for the rest of the season.

Fans have been coming on here all season saying it doesn't matter if we lose all 12 games against the Big Six. Writing off the best part of a third of the PL season is arrogance personified. What gives us the right, a newly promoted club, with limited resources, the right to expect that we will get 38-40 points from all the others, who are obviously going to roll over and let their tummies be tickled. It baffles me why fans and management are treating these 12 games as if they are untouchable. All the others are nicking points off the bigger boys. Except us, of course, who seem to play into their hands every time we meet one of them, either through being set up wrongly, being too cautious/defensive or simply by gifting them points with unforced errors.

Failure to get anything from the remaining 5 games against the Big Six, will leave too many points to be gleaned from the other games. We will not get 15 points from 9 games.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Points taken off the big 6 teams this season among the bottom 10 in the PL thus far this season;

West Ham - 5 (7 games)
Watford - 5 (7)
Stoke - 4 (8)
Swansea - 4 (8)
Palace - 4 (8)
Huddersfield - 3 (6)
West Brom - 3 (7)
Bournemouth - 3 (8)
Southampton - 3 (8)
Newcastle - 1 (7)
Brighton - 0 (7)

The comparative failure to take any points off the big 6 teams in the division is really killing us when it comes to those games against our direct rivals where we've dropped points IMHO. At some point we need to turn one of them over if we're to have a hope of staying up.

I disagree, we don't need to beat a top 6 side to stay up. We have already taken 21 points from those teams around us.

We are only 3 points from 10th, Swansea, West Ham, Huddersfield and Leicester all have to come to the Amex, these are the crucial games if we are going to survive.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Our time will come...maybe

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I disagree, we don't need to beat a top 6 side to stay up. We have already taken 21 points from those teams around us.

We are only 3 points from 10th, Swansea, West Ham, Huddersfield and Leicester all have to come to the Amex, these are the crucial games if we are going to survive.

But you are heaping massive pressure on just a few games.
Two wins, a draw and a defeat from these four games will not be enough if we are shedding points elsewhere. We have taken 8 points out of the last 39 and people are suddenly expecting us to rattle off a string of home victories ( 3 home wins out of 12 played ) We need some momentum and that will only come from nicking points away from home as well ( 1 point out the last 18 and no goals scored ) and that must include the odd point pinched from one of the Big Boys.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Our time will come...maybe

Cannot, in all seriousness see anything from City, United or Liverpool. That leaves Arsenal and Tottenham at home. The Gunners are a massive bogey to us and have already rocked up twice to the Amex and won ( admittedly when we were in the Championship ) If a lack-lustre Spurs turn up, we might have a chance of nicking a point but I am not holding my breath.
It is a big maybe......

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
You’d have thought Swansea put on a tactical master class judging from some of the comments on here and in the media. Liverpool missed several golden opportunities despite playing way below par. Swansea parked the proverbial bus and rode their luck massively. No reason for us to throw the towel in just yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

But you are heaping massive pressure on just a few games.
Two wins, a draw and a defeat from these four games will not be enough if we are shedding points elsewhere. We have taken 8 points out of the last 39 and people are suddenly expecting us to rattle off a string of home victories ( 3 home wins out of 12 played ) We need some momentum and that will only come from nicking points away from home as well ( 1 point out the last 18 and no goals scored ) and that must include the odd point pinched from one of the Big Boys.

But we still don't need to beat a top 6 side, our away chances are Southampton, Stoke, Everton, Burnley and Palace.

I do agree with you to a certain extent about the dire form we are in at the moment, but to be fair the club are trying to address this with the likes of Locadia and hopefully another couple of additions come Jan 31st.

We all knew at the start of the season it would be a relegation battle, and that is what its turned into. But this obsession that we have to beat a top 6 side is nonsense,

Take as many points from the others as we can. Its no good beating Arsenal then losing the next four or five games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here