Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Season's Squad

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
To ask a silly question, what do we presume will happen with our multi million pound acquisitions if, which is looking likely, we get demoted back to The Championship next season?

Ryan, Pröpper, Isq, Locadia, Groß, Schelotto etc....

Relegation wage drop and release clauses? Surely they will have all been aware that 2nd tier football was a possibility.

Ryan and Groß will have no shortage of suitors and other offers will come in, naturally.

Couple this with Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, March, Murray, Baldock....and the rest all possibly not being around next term, do we feel we may have effed ourselves in the ay or is everything under control?

Walton and White probably at a level to compete for the first team.

Still very much in the competition this year but interested in your thoughts on what might happen to our 11 (25) in the summer if we go down.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
As it stands, we will have a better second tier side than last year. Just first tier wages. I guess that's what parachute payments are for and it's also why the odd prized asset may go.

However, let's not dwell at this time.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not worth wasting energy thinking about this just yet.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Don’t know.

I’ll worry about that if we’re relegated, not in the middle of January. Just enjoy the ride eh?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Leadership-2.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That went down well.

I don't think many of us want to think about that particular "what if...?" right now, but it is a valid question, and you've been around here long enough for any lazy "Palace troll" type accusations to be patently wrong.. I'll give it a go...

To ask a silly question, what do we presume will happen with our multi million pound acquisitions if, which is looking likely, we get demoted back to The Championship next season?

Ryan, Pröpper, Isq, Locadia, Groß, Schelotto etc....

Relegation wage drop and release clauses? Surely they will have all been aware that 2nd tier football was a possibility.

Ryan and Groß will have no shortage of suitors and other offers will come in, naturally.

Couple this with Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, March, Murray, Baldock....and the rest all possibly not being around next term, do we feel we may have effed ourselves in the ay or is everything under control?

Walton and White probably at a level to compete for the first team.

Still very much in the competition this year but interested in your thoughts on what might happen to our 11 (25) in the summer if we go down.

Prior to this season, there have not been any transfer windows where we've completely transformed the squad - it's been a gradual build.

Even with the Summer's influx, we've still had game this season where the majority of the starting XI were players who brought us up. West Brom away included 7 Championship regulars for example.

But you're right, if we go down, there could be significant turnover, which doesn't feel healthy for a Championship campaign...

Bruno - this could be his last season.
Dunk - you'd think he'd be wanting to get back into the Premier League. He's not old, but he'll be getting to an age where if he's going to move it needs to be sooner rather than later.
Propper - a Dutch international won't want to be plying his trade outside a top division.
Ryan, Gross and March could be of interest to non-top 6 sides.
Izquierdo's an interesting one. Has he justified his fee yet. How much would another club pay for him?
Locadia - depends on what he does when he gets to play.

I'm not sure any of Duffy, Schelotto, Bong, Suttner, Kayal, Stephens, Murray, Hemed and Baldock would attract PM suitors, so would be staying unless we didn't want them to.

Knockaert - who knows. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on at the end of this season regardless.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I don't think many of us want to think about that particular "what if...?" right now, but it is a valid question, and you've been around here long enough for any lazy "Palace troll" type accusations to be patently wrong.. I'll give it a go...

Prior to this season, there have not been any transfer windows where we've completely transformed the squad - it's been a gradual build.

Even with the Summer's influx, we've still had game this season where the majority of the starting XI were players who brought us up. West Brom away included 7 Championship regulars for example.

But you're right, if we go down, there could be significant turnover, which doesn't feel healthy for a Championship campaign...

Bruno - this could be his last season.
Dunk - you'd think he'd be wanting to get back into the Premier League. He's not old, but he'll be getting to an age where if he's going to move it needs to be sooner rather than later.
Propper - a Dutch international won't want to be plying his trade outside a top division.
Ryan, Gross and March could be of interest to non-top 6 sides.
Izquierdo's an interesting one. Has he justified his fee yet. How much would another club pay for him?
Locadia - depends on what he does when he gets to play.

I'm not sure any of Duffy, Schelotto, Bong, Suttner, Kayal, Stephens, Murray, Hemed and Baldock would attract PM suitors, so would be staying unless we didn't want them to.

Knockaert - who knows. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move on at the end of this season regardless.

Exactly. I think that's what I find really bizarre.

It's an interesting and strange situation we could find ourselves in. I guess this is partially why we've been somewhat apprehensive in transfer windows and are keen to not offload too many players too soon. Baring in mind Norwood and Murphy are still contracted to us, albeit on loan, and Skalak et al are also still knocking about as well.

Anyway, appreciate your thoughts (and appreciate it's a somewhat premature conversation, plenty of balls to be kicked).

UTA - here's to survival.

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
Disclaimer: This is hypothetical, I'm not a doom monger saying our season is finished although it has the potential to be after this set of 4/5 fixtures if we come away with an insufficient haul. As has been pointed out, this is a perfectly reasonable question and while maybe premature, I'm sure it's one that the club have an answer to already as a contingency plan, they would be foolish not to.

Disregarding out of contract players, think we all know the names that would jump ship if we sank to the Championship. Most of our signings this season, Dunk, Duffy possibly, Knockaert possibly, maybe Stephens if there's PL interest. Baldock might want out if he's still not playing, might be a few clubs sniffing around for March but he's more likely to stay I think.

Out of contract players included, I think Bruno would retire if we were relegated. Questionable whether Krul would want to stay given he's not had a sniff, but I wouldn't completely rule him out. LuaLua, Sidwell, Rohan Ince and Rosenior are finished here, sadly for them. Maenpaa won't sign on again for another season of bench warming for potentially this season's bench warmer. Bong could stay to be fair, Uwe might if he's promised more action. But I would expect a mass exodus.

So a sizeable chunk of the team, we'd be in for a rebuilding job if that were to be the case. A few current fringe players i.e. Skalak, Norwood, maybe even Towell would come back into the fold. I'd expect to see youngsters like Molumby, Ben White, Walton, Mateju, Bjordal, Ahannach, Tilley given a chance. Hopefully Chris would still be the manager.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here