Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR to be used at the World Cup

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The largely untested, widely misunderstood system still open to internationally unified interpretation to be put in place for the World Cup after less than one season's testing. How far has the rigorous testing of this system gone on in England? Four matches.

And principally because they can sell advertising on the back of it. Textbook FIFA twaddle.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...n-sponsorship-for-video-replays-a3746656.html

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that it is the way forward so the sooner it is used in every Premier League game the better. The continued use will improve it as players become accustomed to it.

This is obviously hoping that we stay in The Premier League.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Depressing, but inevitable.

"This latest interminable delay was brought to you by Samsung, in association with Gillette...finer blades, for a closer shave"

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Will it "break down" if the decision looks to be going against Russia ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The largely untested, widely misunderstood system still open to internationally unified interpretation to be put in place for the World Cup after less than one season's testing. How far has the rigorous testing of this system gone on in England? Four matches.

And principally because they can sell advertising on the back of it. Textbook FIFA twaddle.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...n-sponsorship-for-video-replays-a3746656.html

When you say largely untested does that mean you dismiss the top flight leagues in:-

Germany
Italy
Portugal
Poland
America
The Copa Libertadores
The under 20 world cup
International friendlies

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When you say largely untested does that mean you dismiss the top flight leagues in:-

Germany
Italy
Portugal
Poland
America
The Copa Libertadores
The under 20 world cup
International friendlies

Maybe not exactly untested, but from what I've seen, they are a long way from ironing out the problems it presents when there is a major decision to call.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe not exactly untested, but from what I've seen, they are a long way from ironing out the problems it presents when there is a major decision to call.

Luckily they've got all those full seasons to iron it out then.

The cork is out of the bottle and it certainly wasn't going to be left for another 4 years, because even then there will always be problems.
The bottom line is it's still a bloke making a judgement call, the only difference is he's warm, comfy and 'closer' to the action.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is that not due to the officials not being totally au fait with the system?

I think the main issue is that its not been implemented very well. Nobody at home and more importantly nobody in the stadium knows what the hell is going on when the ref stands there and puts his finger in his ear. Nothing is being communicated to anyone about what is being reviewed, or why.

And quite apart from the time it can take, the reviews are such a minefield when the ball DOESN'T go dead (eg if a potential penalty isn't given but the VAR thinks it should). Then you have to wait for a passage of play to run its course before the ref can finally consult the VAR to go back and review it. It happened in the Chelsea v Arsenal 1st leg the other week, a full 2 minutes elapsed before he could go back to the penalty claim the VAR was looking at (and didn't award it). What if Arsenal had scored in that time ? Or Chelsea ? If the ref (on review) decides that it should have been a pen, then presumably he's got to chalk off that goal and point at the spot. That'll be fun !

Unless you're on the end of it, the VAR could actually be quite entertaining in its own way, but for all the wrong reasons. And until the novelty wears off and we all just get sick of the delays.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Got to be more useful than sticking an assistant behind the goal on the same side as the lino. All he does is get in the way of supporters seeing the action

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

The fact is that if the World Cup 2018 was the goal for VAR, then this process should have started 2 years ago. Personally, I see it as a solution that simply HAS to be implemented. The only thing is, it has to be done properly. In many ways it reminds me of when the backpass rule was implemented - so many people high profile pundits moaned about that changing the way the game would be played because goalkeepers aren't good with their feet (Gary Lineker was a particularly harsh critic). But guess what, keepers learned and the game MASSIVELY improved as a spectacle once it was implemented.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the main issue is that its not been implemented very well. Nobody at home and more importantly nobody in the stadium knows what the hell is going on when the ref stands there and puts his finger in his ear. Nothing is being communicated to anyone about what is being reviewed, or why.

And quite apart from the time it can take, the reviews are such a minefield when the ball DOESN'T go dead (eg if a potential penalty isn't given but the VAR thinks it should). Then you have to wait for a passage of play to run its course before the ref can finally consult the VAR to go back and review it. It happened in the Chelsea v Arsenal 1st leg the other week, a full 2 minutes elapsed before he could go back to the penalty claim the VAR was looking at (and didn't award it). What if Arsenal had scored in that time ? Or Chelsea ? If the ref (on review) decides that it should have been a pen, then presumably he's got to chalk off that goal and point at the spot. That'll be fun !

Unless you're on the end of it, the VAR could actually be quite entertaining in its own way, but for all the wrong reasons. And until the novelty wears off and we all just get sick of the delays.

Perhaps the answer is the moment the VAR spots something he should signal the ref who stops the game to review then either agrees with the VAR and gives the kick or if he disagrees restarts the game with a proper drop ball in the centre circle. Just an amendment of the rules required./

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why do FIFA need VAR at the World Cup in Russia? I'd be surprised if the group stages haven't already been sorted, brown envelope-wise.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Perhaps the answer is the moment the VAR spots something he should signal the ref who stops the game to review then either agrees with the VAR and gives the kick or if he disagrees restarts the game with a proper drop ball in the centre circle. Just an amendment of the rules required./

Er... that would be even worse.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Stoppages in plays already happen when the referee determines an injury could be detrimental to a player or an equipment failure occurs. With the frequency of VAR usage I don't see it being that big of a deal. Add on 5-6 minutes of injury/VAR time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Er... that would be even worse.

Why is that, please explain? Seems simple to me. VAR thinks ref has missed a penalty so he signals and ref stops the game and has a look at the video. If correct gives a penalty if not drop ball in the centre circle and restart the game and add the time as if an injury.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Pretty sure VAR at the World Cup was agreed ages ago.

It does probably still need work- one good point on the way it is running in this country is that maybe they need more than one ref watching the screens to see all angles quickly.

Another interesting point is what do you do as a player if you get flagged offside but you’re not sure you were offside? There is a chance the call is wrong and will be reversed so on that basis should you now keep going and try to score? Which previously might have got you booked?

Tricky choice- I kind of think I would always keep going and shoot now- as you might get the goal allowed which is worth the risk of a booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why is that, please explain? Seems simple to me. VAR thinks ref has missed a penalty so he signals and ref stops the game and has a look at the video. If correct gives a penalty if not drop ball in the centre circle and restart the game and add the time as if an injury.

That'll go down a storm if the other team is on a promising break - I'm sure we'd all love to see the game halted for that. Its interfering with the passage of play BG, and thus fundamentally altering the game as we know it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That'll go down a storm if the other team is on a promising break - I'm sure we'd all love to see the game halted for that. Its interfering with the passage of play BG, and thus fundamentally altering the game as we know it.

No more so than a lino waving and the ref not see him for a while then stopping play until his attention is drawn to it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here