Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 81
  1. #1
    Who's Next? The Large One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    97.2FM
    Posts
    52,150

    VAR to be used at the World Cup


    0 Not allowed!
    The largely untested, widely misunderstood system still open to internationally unified interpretation to be put in place for the World Cup after less than one season's testing. How far has the rigorous testing of this system gone on in England? Four matches.

    And principally because they can sell advertising on the back of it. Textbook FIFA twaddle.

    https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-a3746656.html
    The Albion Roar on Twitter
    New radio show on Radio Reverb 97.2FM - 'Move On Up'. Mod, soul, ska, Northern, jazz. Every other Saturday at 7pm

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #2
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Haywards Heath
      Posts
      71,387


      1 Not allowed!
      I think that it is the way forward so the sooner it is used in every Premier League game the better. The continued use will improve it as players become accustomed to it.

      This is obviously hoping that we stay in The Premier League.
    • #3
      Members
      Join Date
      Dec 2003
      Location
      Worcester England
      Posts
      8,198


      1 Not allowed!
      Its not ready for a world cup yet IMO, the refs arent familiar enough with it as we arent. I'd rather the video cameras were pointed at the crowd for this one
    • #4
      Brain dead MUG SHEEP Easy 10's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Location Location
      Posts
      55,494


      0 Not allowed!
      Depressing, but inevitable.

      "This latest interminable delay was brought to you by Samsung, in association with Gillette...finer blades, for a closer shave"
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"
    • #5
      Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Location
      Valhalla
      Posts
      25,677


      1 Not allowed!
      Will it "break down" if the decision looks to be going against Russia ?
      Out of contract June 2020 : Bong, Balogun, Kayal, Murray, Schelotto, Ahannach
    • #6
      Members Stat Brother's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West west west Sussex
      Posts
      53,721


      4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Large One View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The largely untested, widely misunderstood system still open to internationally unified interpretation to be put in place for the World Cup after less than one season's testing. How far has the rigorous testing of this system gone on in England? Four matches.

      And principally because they can sell advertising on the back of it. Textbook FIFA twaddle.

      https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-a3746656.html
      When you say largely untested does that mean you dismiss the top flight leagues in:-

      Germany
      Italy
      Portugal
      Poland
      America
      The Copa Libertadores
      The under 20 world cup
      International friendlies
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

      .
    • #7
      Brain dead MUG SHEEP Easy 10's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Location Location
      Posts
      55,494


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Stat Brother View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      When you say largely untested does that mean you dismiss the top flight leagues in:-

      Germany
      Italy
      Portugal
      Poland
      America
      The Copa Libertadores
      The under 20 world cup
      International friendlies
      Maybe not exactly untested, but from what I've seen, they are a long way from ironing out the problems it presents when there is a major decision to call.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"
    • #8
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Haywards Heath
      Posts
      71,387


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Maybe not exactly untested, but from what I've seen, they are a long way from ironing out the problems it presents when there is a major decision to call.
      Is that not due to the officials not being totally au fait with the system?
    • #9
      Members Stat Brother's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      West west west Sussex
      Posts
      53,721


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Easy 10 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Maybe not exactly untested, but from what I've seen, they are a long way from ironing out the problems it presents when there is a major decision to call.
      Luckily they've got all those full seasons to iron it out then.

      The cork is out of the bottle and it certainly wasn't going to be left for another 4 years, because even then there will always be problems.
      The bottom line is it's still a bloke making a judgement call, the only difference is he's warm, comfy and 'closer' to the action.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

      .
    • #10
      Brain dead MUG SHEEP Easy 10's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Location Location
      Posts
      55,494


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Is that not due to the officials not being totally au fait with the system?
      I think the main issue is that its not been implemented very well. Nobody at home and more importantly nobody in the stadium knows what the hell is going on when the ref stands there and puts his finger in his ear. Nothing is being communicated to anyone about what is being reviewed, or why.

      And quite apart from the time it can take, the reviews are such a minefield when the ball DOESN'T go dead (eg if a potential penalty isn't given but the VAR thinks it should). Then you have to wait for a passage of play to run its course before the ref can finally consult the VAR to go back and review it. It happened in the Chelsea v Arsenal 1st leg the other week, a full 2 minutes elapsed before he could go back to the penalty claim the VAR was looking at (and didn't award it). What if Arsenal had scored in that time ? Or Chelsea ? If the ref (on review) decides that it should have been a pen, then presumably he's got to chalk off that goal and point at the spot. That'll be fun !

      Unless you're on the end of it, the VAR could actually be quite entertaining in its own way, but for all the wrong reasons. And until the novelty wears off and we all just get sick of the delays.
      "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision"

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •