Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The football cow

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As long as the different broadcasts continue to cattle it out for TV rights it will remain the same.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just an average guess, without working out the figures properly, where [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] when you need him.
I wasn't asking what they do get, just what people (those that think they get too much) think they should get paid.

I think part of the issue is the disparity between the PL and the lower leagues (for example, the Championship) which is getting bigger with each new tv deal.
Kind of like the disparity between the top actors and top musicians and the rest?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Cash cow, gravy train, whatever. Yes, bearing in mind the shortage of funding of important services in this country, there is an argument that we have, overall, too much disposable income to waste on a product that is overfunded and overhyped. Even the old "amateur" game is rife with backhanders and "deals". The argument that "it's only a short career" has been worn out for years. It doesn't stop when the pack up playing. There seems to be a role for most aged footballers, however in adequate they were. Whilst I would not advocate going back to the £20 a week days of the early 60s, the money now involved is quite disgusting. It's now unaffordabe to the traditional working classes who built the country for peanuts. Their legacy has been wasted.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't know how much they should get, but the sums being quoted for top players is just too much. Nobody needs that much money. It's not just football, OK - entertainment, financial sector, all over the place, the gap between the rich and the poor is just too big. No idea what to do about it (but if anybody's got a working tumbrell and guillotine set for sale or hire, let me know!) but as far as football concerned, I would love it if the bubble burst - no idea if, how or when though, sadly.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
So for those of you who think there's too much money in football, how much do you think there should be? How much should PL players get paid?

I wouldn’t have an individual salary cap but one that is the same for each club , say £120 million per year to cover the 25 man squad .

This way each team can afford a superstar or two and it’s up to club how they spread around the wages.

Trouble is all leagues around the world would need to agree on this so won’t ever happen anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I wasn't asking what they do get, just what people (those that think they get too much) think they should get paid.

Kind of like the disparity between the top actors and top musicians and the rest?

Are the lesser actors and musicians with a far lower income spending millions in trying to reach and sustain the same level as the very top actors and musicians? - the difference is that lesser football teams are and also there isn't promotion and relegation for musicians and actors and that their income can dramatically change to the same extent with the spending commitments they will have in place (player contracts, etc)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Genuine question, what is the rate of pay for a top PL played as compared with a top Tennis, golf, or F1 player/ driver?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
It will never happen but I’d propose that the maximum wage a footballer could earn should be tied to that of, say a top surgeon working in the UK.

On top of that a club could offer unlimited win bonuses for any player who played in a winning game. Draw and losing bonuses would also be banned.

Theoretical result would be the best players still earn millions but the relative dross just earn a very comfortable living.

I’m sure I’ve missed something and await the abuse. :)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It will never happen but I’d propose that the maximum wage a footballer could earn should be tied to that of, say a top surgeon working in the UK.

On top of that a club could offer unlimited win bonuses for any player who played in a winning game. Draw and losing bonuses would also be banned.

Theoretical result would be the best players still earn millions but the relative dross just earn a very comfortable living.

I’m sure I’ve missed something and await the abuse. :)

Payments would just become invisible or in brown envelopes. Even with the millions in the game now. greed causes folk (no names, no pack drill) to want more.

Impossible to stop.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Are the lesser actors and musicians with a far lower income spending millions in trying to reach and sustain the same level as the very top actors and musicians?
No, and nor are the footballers spending millions to reach a higher level. Film and music producers however, must spend a fair chunk, but then that's not really what was being talked about, it's just the payment of the performers that's being discussed.

the difference is that lesser football teams are
You're confusing teams with players.
and also there isn't promotion and relegation for musicians and actors and that their income can dramatically change to the same extent
Sure there is. People can become popular or unpopular and their income can shoot up or down.
with the spending commitments they will have in place (player contracts, etc)
As I said, it's not the players doing the spending.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Payments would just become invisible or in brown envelopes. Even with the millions in the game now. greed causes folk (no names, no pack drill) to want more.

Impossible to stop.

Whilst I share the same depressing opinion of football’s financial honesty, there have been several high profile cases where the authorities have gone for the very high earners such as Messi.

I’m not sure that the old school world of brown envelopes would slip under the radar as it did in the past.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Do we keep on feeding Sky and letting the thing get out of control or pull the plug and watch it collapse? We're on the horns of a dilemma.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
The huge tv money seems to mainly disappear into players wages and maybe a handful of top clubs. It seems possible that if the tv money dropped a bit we would still have the same Premier league with the same players but lower wages and transfer fees.

The next round of tv rights would be a great opportunity for the PL to say....' We will set the fixture schedule at the beginning of the year. We'll schedule some Friday games, some early and late Saturday games, and some Sunday and Monday games. But the schedule will not be changed at short notice to satisfy what you think tv audiences would prefer. '.

This would be a great thing for ordinary fans who will be able to book travel and plan their lives more than a few weeks before gametime. The tv companies will still pay mega billions and if it is a billion less than they would pay with the ability to set game times then that would not really make any difference to 95% of people who have a stake in how football is run.

Or am I missing something.......

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
So for those of you who think there's too much money in football, how much do you think there should be? How much should PL players get paid?
Should not be paid more than 10k a week anywhere and that's being generous :)
It's hard to get any passion nowadays with money ruining football and it seems to have seriously ruined international football and many other European countries.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I think part of the issue is the disparity between the PL and the lower leagues (for example, the Championship) which is getting bigger with each new tv deal.

It's this gap in incomes that's the issue imo, and it would be interesting to do a comparison between the 2 figures for every season since the PL began to see how it has changed and it's not necessarily how much they earn in the PL or how much players get (providing the clubs can afford it and not putting their futures on the line through accumulating debt)

It's incredible to think that there are clubs who are losing money on £100m+ incomes a season

No, and nor are the footballers spending millions to reach a higher level. Film and music producers however, must spend a fair chunk, but then that's not really what was being talked about, it's just the payment of the performers that's being discussed.

You're confusing teams with players.
Sure there is. People can become popular or unpopular and their income can shoot up or down.
As I said, it's not the players doing the spending.

Which is why i was talking about clubs in my first post, saying the gap in income between the 2 different divisions is probably the biggest problem when it comes to wages etc, as clubs pay over the odds to to try stay up (or get promoted in the first place) to keep that high income coming in.

If there was less of a financial disparity between them, then the pressure to be in the top flight wouldn't be as great financially, and therefore there would be less of a need to inflate wages to try to stay there or to gamble on promotion. (hopefully someone can put the figures together to show how the difference between the 2 has changed every season since the PL started as this gap must be getting wider and wider each season)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here