Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Statues for footballers

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Sadly Jimmy Armfield has died, and I notice he has a statue in Blackpool honouring him.

I wondered how many other players have such an honour, and also players that haven't that maybe should have a statue.

Cristano doesn't count, as he paid for his own i believe.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's one of Tom Finney outside Deepdale.

Bobby Moore outside Wembley.

Charlton, Best and Law outside OT

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
article-0-00ABA20000000578-239_306x423.jpg

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Tony Brown statue at West Brom but not one of Cyrille Regis, not enough cash apparently !!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Mike Dean outside in the country ... I think I heard someone say?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We had a Ryan Harley statue on the pitch at the Amex for a few years. Marvellous sight it was too. Just sort of stood there in the middle of the pitch.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Which Albion player is famous and illustrious enough to have a statue outside the Amex ? Struggling tbh. I suppose Peter Ward would be the obvious one from our own perspective, but he's only famous to us. Whereas statues at other clubs have players who's fame stretched far beyond the club that they played for.

Maybe a bronze statue of Robbie Reinelt scoring THAT goal. Not so much for him as an individual, but because it marks the moment that the clubs rise and recovery began, from that point all the way to where we are right now. Nice story to impart to the youngsters when they walk up to the Amex, point at it and say "dad, who's Robbie Reinelt ?"

I'd like that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Which Albion player is famous and illustrious enough to have a statue outside the Amex ? Struggling tbh. I suppose Peter Ward would be the obvious one from our own perspective, but he's only famous to us. Whereas statues at other clubs have players who's fame stretched far beyond the club that they played for.

Maybe a bronze statue of Robbie Reinelt scoring THAT goal. Not so much for him as an individual, but because it marks the moment that the clubs rise and recovery began, from that point all the way to where we are right now. Nice story to impart to the youngsters when they walk up to the Amex, point at it and say "dad, who's Robbie Reinelt ?"

I'd like that.

"The most untalented player ever to (rightly) achieve cult status..."

That'll confuse 'em.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bobby Robson at Ipswich

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

I'd like that.

A statue of the Palace bus driver with his pants round his ankles , so the rest of the footballing world will always know WHAT REALLY HAPPENED!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here