Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Dale Stephens an ordinary player?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Seems to consistently manage to be both very good and very bad in the same game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given he is the engine in the middle of the park I think he has done OK. Not set the division alight but gets singled out for criticism after a poor team performance too often for my liking. Propper improving and getting up to speed has helped him and with Kayal back I expect Stephens to kick on and have a good second half to the season.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Is Ordinary Reliable a bad thing then?

He's not world class, never claimed to be. He's not top 6 material or he'd be playing in.....er......one of the top 6 clubs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think he needs to be at the absolute top of his game to survive in the Prem. Has had some decent games, but also had momentary lapses of giving the ball away.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
In this league he is very ordinary.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think some forget some of our performances in the Championship, particularly away from home, when he was out injured or suspended.

We were mainly awful and lost.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
He does an awful lot more than a number of much heralded players who play a similar role for bigger Premier League clubs. The "continuity" types the pseuds love.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Given he is the engine in the middle of the park I think he has done OK. Not set the division alight but gets singled out for criticism after a poor team performance too often for my liking. Propper improving and getting up to speed has helped him and with Kayal back I expect Stephens to kick on and have a good second half to the season.

I think he has a tough job at this level as his touch needs to be basically perfect, so yes Stephens probably has stepped up from last season but unfortunately for him his mistakes are probably more noticeable than others.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems to consistently manage to be both very good and very bad in the same game.

About as good a definition of the player as I've seen all season :clap2:

Not sure where he picked up the notion that he should do anything - ANYTHING! - rather than attempt a shot on goal. Never used to be like that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not sure where he picked up the notion that he should do anything - ANYTHING! - rather than attempt a shot on goal. Never used to be like that.

At the same time, he's never really been a goal-scoring midfielder, nor has Kayal, yet some seem to think he is?

I'm not posting this as a snarky response to your comment that he could shoot more, btw.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
:lolol:

My worry with a Kayal / Propper midfield is yes, it may be technically better but would lack bite.

In my opinion Kayal is a better tackler than Stephens. Could be wrong but I think he and Propper have the most complementary attributes of any combinations of those 3 players.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
In my opinion Kayal is a better tackler than Stephens. Could be wrong but I think he and Propper have the most complementary attributes of any combinations of those 3 players.

Yes, but he's worked well with Stephens along side him.

When him and Norwood were together he looked a different player, well the midfield looked more over run shall we say.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes, but he's worked well with Stephens along side him.

When him and Norwood were together he looked a different player, well the midfield looked more over run shall we say.

Fair, however I think because Propper is such a classy player people ignore the shift he puts in, which is ahead of Norwood's, IMO. Wasn't Propper in the top 10 for distance covered earlier this season?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Fair, however I think because Propper is such a classy player people ignore the shift he puts in, which is ahead of Norwood's, IMO. Wasn't Propper in the top 10 for distance covered earlier this season?

I like Propper further forward, not doing donkey work, Kayal even though a good tackler, is he better than Stephens sitting deep protecting the centre halves and doing the dirty work.

Not sure.

I wouldn't be adverse to seeing it though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here