Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] to the IT geeks on here ( dont open if you are easily offended by geekiness)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Similar story to companies outside of Russia stopping using Kaspersky AV which was a pain in the arse of a product in itself, security aside, probably still is

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Over the years the companies I've worked for / with have used Global Switch. Not entirely sure what the big fuss is though.

I used to work for a Huawei Gold Partner and we sold Huawei firewalls - one of the best on the market and you get far more bang for your buck - but effing difficult to sell !!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this is pretty old news. Global Switch are a top tier carrier so people use them all the time without knowing. Chinese owning large proportion of the shares in the company isnt really a security risk, unless they start imposing executive decisions to install kit or personnel in data centers.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Don't see the risk here. What do people think is going to happen? That said pretty much all of the UK data centers are not owned by UK companies. Telehouse owned by KDDI - Japanese, Interxion are German, Telecity owned by Equinix who are US.

Its like the Huawei thing, do people really think their traffic is being 'slurped' back to China without any noticeable impact hit or whatever? Saying that most of the global carriers and Telcos are using Huawei anyway including BT for mobile and data.

Trump tried to veto the company I used to work for being bought by a Singaporean based, Chinese backed manufacturer on the basis of security. We supplied significant amount of infrastructure to the US Govt and DoD and there was concern about what might happen if we were no longer a US company. It turned out that the acquiring company moving their HQ from Singapore to the US was enough to make any 'security concerns' disappear.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Don't see the risk here. What do people think is going to happen? That said pretty much all of the UK data centers are not owned by UK companies. Telehouse owned by KDDI - Japanese, Interxion are German, Telecity owned by Equinix who are US.

Its like the Huawei thing, do people really think their traffic is being 'slurped' back to China without any noticeable impact hit or whatever? Saying that most of the global carriers and Telcos are using Huawei anyway including BT for mobile and data.

Trump tried to veto the company I used to work for being bought by a Singaporean based, Chinese backed manufacturer on the basis of security. We supplied significant amount of infrastructure to the US Govt and DoD and there was concern about what might happen if we were no longer a US company. It turned out that the acquiring company moving their HQ from Singapore to the US was enough to make any 'security concerns' disappear.

We had the same issue with Iranian banks in the city.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Not sure what's worse, having the company part-owned by 'the Chinese', or having to use US equipment / providers as an alternative. Given that they have no qualms about spying on their allies.

Biggest hypocrites out there, aside from my wife.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Not sure what's worse, having the company part-owned by 'the Chinese', or having to use US equipment / providers as an alternative. Given that they have no qualms about spying on their allies.

Biggest hypocrites out there, aside from my wife.

I used to work for a defence contractor to the MOD. The company was issued an export licence for it's 'goods' to be sold to China just as long as the UK government had a back door into the system.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I used to work for a defence contractor to the MOD. The company was issued an export licence for it's 'goods' to be sold to China just as long as the UK government had a back door into the system.

Seriously? I assume that stuff wasn't written down anywhere?

Sometimes I wonder if there are any genuine, honourable people left in power.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Seriously? I assume that stuff wasn't written down anywhere?

Sometimes I wonder if there are any genuine, honourable people left in power.

Really. You don't seriously think our government would allow, what was then, a British company sell weapons to an potential enemy without making sure they could defeat the system should the worse happen ?

There were three grades of system :

1. Best of breed - reserved for the MOD
2. Slightly not as good - for our allies
3. With a back door - for our current 'friends' but who may become our enemies

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here