Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 'Marko Grujic: [On Loan] Liverpool Midfielder Must Play 14 Games At Cardiff City'

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
... otherwise be 'financially punished by Liverpool'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42744447

Can't help but think we had a very similar arrangement with Chelsea over Izzy Brown. Would explain CH's insistence on giving him a game despite him adding nothing whatsoever to the side.

I highly doubt we had a similar arrangement regarding Izzy. If you take the Atletico Madrid game and the Man City starting line-ups, paired with his comments on Brown after the Palarse game, it is pretty clear without the injuries CH saw him as a first XI player.

I honestly don't know why there is an opinion on here that he is awful. He got injured, fairly seriously, twice in the brief time he spent with us.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I highly doubt we had a similar arrangement regarding Izzy. If you take the Atletico Madrid game and the Man City starting line-ups, paired with his comments on Brown after the Palarse game, it is pretty clear without the injuries CH saw him as a first XI player.

I honestly don't know why there is an opinion on here that he is awful. He got injured, fairly seriously, twice in the brief time he spent with us.

Because every time he has started or come on as sub he looks uninterested and lazy

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
... otherwise be 'financially punished by Liverpool'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42744447

Can't help but think we had a very similar arrangement with Chelsea over Izzy Brown. Would explain CH's insistence on giving him a game despite him adding nothing whatsoever to the side.

You are aware that not only is that now all over and done with but nobody on here knows the answer, don't you?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Because every time he has started or come on as sub he looks uninterested and lazy

I was at Huddersfield. Twice he stopped at the edge of the pitch to jerk off one of their fans. And then they all joined in as he left the pitch after 70 staggeringly invisible minutes. He couldn't have given less of a sh1t about the Albion if he'd tried.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I have a feeling that most loan deals are on the proviso that the player gets X amount of game time - otherwise (apart from having some of the wage covered) they might as well warm the bench of their own club. That could explain why James Wilson had to play despite chucking up in front of the TV cameras for example!

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Paul Barber categorically denied we had ever taken a loan player and guaranteed appearances and never would. And I for one believe him, despite what some people on here might think.

It doesn't make sense anyway.

Maybe not in Barber’s time here but Mikel Anderson had to play as part of his loan deal

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Paul Barber categorically denied we had ever taken a loan player and guaranteed appearances and never would.

There is a difference between an agreement that "guaranteed appearances" and the deal that the OP has linked to. In fact, from memory, Barber has himself spoken of agreements that may have a similar financial incentive to play the loanee.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He looked decent against Liverpool when he came on.

He started against Liverpool. In fact, he’s only started 4 games for us since his arrival with 9 sub appearances. Of those sub appearances, only 2 were over 10 minutes long and he got injured in his first start for us against Man City and only played 24 minutes. How anyone can judge him as a footballer with that limited amount of evidence is beyond me.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Could be from a number of his performances. Huddersfield stands out though as a shocker.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He started against Liverpool. In fact, he’s only started 4 games for us since his arrival with 9 sub appearances. Of those sub appearances, only 2 were over 10 minutes long and he got injured in his first start for us against Man City and only played 24 minutes. How anyone can judge him as a footballer with that limited amount of evidence is beyond me.

So he did..........simply never had a decent chance to prove himself really over a sustained period. It's easier to lob bricks at a loanee I guess, but given a fair crack of the whip I wonder what he would have done.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That simply isn’t true. And if you think it is, then you probably weren’t really watching him.

He was completely disinterested when I watched him play. The nadir being the Huddersfield game where he showed the most enthusiasm in clapping the Huddersfield fans when he came off the pitch.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Paul Barber categorically denied we had ever taken a loan player and guaranteed appearances and never would. And I for one believe him, despite what some people on here might think.

It doesn't make sense anyway.

There is a difference between an agreement that "guaranteed appearances" and the deal that the OP has linked to. In fact, from memory, Barber has himself spoken of agreements that may have a similar financial incentive to play the loanee.

Via a third party, I asked this very specific question of PB - whether we had ever taken a loanee, with a contractual obligation to play them.

He answered that we had not, but that we did have arrangements whereby the % of their wages picked up by the parent club were dependent on them getting game time. Don't play them at all, and WE pick up their full wage bill.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He was completely disinterested when I watched him play. The nadir being the Huddersfield game where he showed the most enthusiasm in clapping the Huddersfield fans when he came off the pitch.

I confess, the only away game I’ve been to is WBA, but I’ve seen all of our home games and he has looked interested in every performance. But he’s barely been used, so to reiterate my last point, how can we really judge him as a player?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here