Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] What is wrong with some people (Churchill Square Bomb Hoax)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Hope he spends some time inside.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
How the hell can someone be studying at university and a) think this is a good idea and b) not know how to ask for the day off? Are university's really that easy to get into now.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This bit needs following up on, unless it's just poor Argus reporting and the decision was taken on police advice:

'After the bomb threats were made, management at Churchill Square took the decision not to evacuate and shoppers were unaware of the threats'.

Maybe it was blatantly obvious (as sounds likely) that the calls were from someone trying to get a sickie.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This bit needs following up on, unless it's just poor Argus reporting and the decision was taken on police advice:

'After the bomb threats were made, management at Churchill Square took the decision not to evacuate and shoppers were unaware of the threats'.

This comment under the article appears to come from someone who works there.

The centre did take precautions. Every store recieved a security visit and we went through the scenario we were trained for if this was real which does not make customers aware and cause panic. If something was found then we would have been evacuated.

This lad appears to have been very amateurish in his approach to the hoax, so the management just did routine checks, as you say, probably on police advice.

I like his defence counsel calling him an absolute idiot. Refreshing.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
This comment under the article appears to come from someone who works there.

The centre did take precautions. Every store recieved a security visit and we went through the scenario we were trained for if this was real which does not make customers aware and cause panic. If something was found then we would have been evacuated.

From my own previous experience of working there, I can confirm this to be absolutely accurate.

There is a process in place that all stores will be told to follow in the event of such a call being received anywhere in the centre, which has the twin aims of locating any device (or confirming the lack of one) and also not alerting customers to what is going on so as to avoid causing panic.

In the 3 years or so that I worked in the centre, I had to carry out that process at least three times.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
“He told officers he was behind with university work and wanted the day off work.

“He didn’t know how to ask for a day off.

How about, "Boss is it possible to have the day off, I need to catch up with uni work!"

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
He should get at least 10 years for this moronic stunt.

Doesn't he think our emergency services have enough real terrorist threats to deal with?

Bang the cretin up and throw away the key. Idiot.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Once had a bomb threat hoax in Churchill Square when I kicked someone out of a store for trying to take a picture of Emma Bunton's arse crack. Out of spite they rang in a bomb threat. Nice.

Having been directly involved with evacuations from Churchill square and bomb searches etc I can say there are certain signs that differentiate between a hoax and a real threat. I can say with 100% certainty if the decision was made not to evacuate a decision would have been made that they were absolutely certain it was a hoax, 100% certain.

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Once had a bomb threat hoax in Churchill Square when I kicked someone out of a store for trying to take a picture of Emma Bunton's arse crack. Out of spite they rang in a bomb threat. Nice.

Having been directly involved with evacuations from Churchill square and bomb searches etc I can say there are certain signs that differentiate between a hoax and a real threat. I can say with 100% certainty if the decision was made not to evacuate a decision would have been made that they were absolutely certain it was a hoax, 100% certain.

This thread is worthless without pics!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
My Mrs works in the centre and she said it was known quite quickly that it was a hoax and who was responsible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here