Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mathew Ryan Feature

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
".........in our team the defensive line playing much deeper makes it much harder to come off your line. In the past I was more of a sweeper-keeper.”

Well, that rather endorses the view many of us have expressed that our penalty area gets too crowded. It looks as if he would come and collect more crosses and corners if there weren't too many defenders in his way.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Well I never realised he was only 6feet, thought someone would have raised it on here is he too short?

Also answers some that he doesnt come off his line enough, seems even he feels we play too deep.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
".........in our team the defensive line playing much deeper makes it much harder to come off your line. In the past I was more of a sweeper-keeper.”

Well, that rather endorses the view many of us have expressed that our penalty area gets too crowded. It looks as if he would come and collect more crosses and corners if there weren't too many defenders in his way.

I noticed that comment too

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/18/mathew-ryan-english-pundits-tend-critical-goalkeepers

Couldn't see this on here, so apologies if it already is. Mat lauds our "desperation to defend", but says our problems with set-pieces will relegate us if we don't sort it out. Comes across as a VERY confident fella.

It's in the Guardian, so it must be rubbish...........

....... and the Liam Rosenior article this week is a letter to Cyrille Regis - rather nice.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Here's a more insightful piece on his background https://www.playersvoice.com.au/maty-ryan-i-owe-mum-everything/#tSVSIphqkigCHH2v.97

(it was linked in the comments section under the guardian piece), sorry if this has been posted previously but it includes this titbit of information about his past:

'I didn’t start off as a goalkeeper. I was a striker and me and my mate from next door, Adam Jenner, used to destroy the opposition as kids in the local team, playing together up front. We scored a lot of goals and I don’t remember if we ever lost a game.

Krul in goal and Maty Ryan up front anyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here