Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] World's Hardest Creature XI - 2nd Round - Hippopotamus v Salt Water Crocodile

Who's the hardest?

• Hippopotamus

Votes: 53 61.6%
  • Salt Water Crocodile

Votes: 33 38.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Mr Nelson's Left Foot, who has a trained eye for all things WHC, noted that there must be some humdingers of matches coming up and it begins here. The last four fixtures are all fine adverts for WHC but this one is an absolute belter. The Croc and Hippo met in The Group of Death. While the Croc broke the tape first, both breezed through; the Hippo even beating the Grasshopper Mouse into third place. Having made it through the toughest of groups both competitors would have been hoping for an easier ride this time out. Will the tough start to the campaign take too much out of the victor going forward?

Hippopotamus - 2nd in Group B with 22 votes - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopotamus
Hippo.jpg
The Hippopotamus doesn't have the appearance of a fighter but what it lacks in physique it more than makes up for in sheer bulk and aggression. Weighing in at almost three tons, the Hippo is well capable of crushing you while doing some light grazing. It is estimated as being responsible for around 500 human deaths each year and can feasibly lay claim to the title of world's most dangerous animal. Despite being a herbivore the Hippo has the strongest bite force of any mammal, which would normally be winning feature but doesn't really help in this match up. And don't imagine that its size stops it getting a shift on. Should you try and outrun it you'll discover that it can match Mo Farah for speed. The following video provides a small insight into sheer hippo bloody mindedness, as a boat proves to be as good a target as any...

Salt Water Crocodile - 1st in Group B with 27 votes - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltwater_crocodile
Salt Water Crocodile.jpg
The bitiest creature on Earth bar none. A creature that has a "death roll" in its armoury. A creature that has walked the Earth for over four million years. The Salt Water Crocodile is a true contender for the top prize but has a mammoth obstacle to climb if it wants to progress. A fearsome predator that can grow up to six metres in length, the Croc can lie in wait submerged for up to an hour before mounting its ambush. The SWC is believed to attack around 30 people each year; around half of those resulting in a fatality. They are said to be the most dangerous creature in Australia. In a country where everything is out to get you that is a very high bar indeed. And in the interest of balance, here is the sequel to the hippo video...

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
So sorry Jim (can I call you Jim?) I was just so excited waiting for the thread I didn't realise it had only just been posted! Sorry mate.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Where has #TeamCroc got to? Granted the Hippo's mug shot is terrifying but the early voting is remarkable nonetheless.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Where has #TeamCroc got to? Granted the Hippo's mug shot is terrifying but the early voting is remarkable nonetheless.

Team croc reporting. How can you compare a salt water croc who swims into an open ocean to kill sharks, which a grass eating lump of lard.
The only danger a hippo causes is clumsiness knocking boats over that get in its way.
The croc is a survivor of the dinosaur age.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My two favourite beasts. In the second round.:cry:

The hippo is a huge mentalist. He is essentially a herbivore - the only meat he eats is carrion - yet he lives in the home of major apex predators(lions and crocs) and they don't go near him. Not only that he has a filthy, unpredictable temper and is A grade aggressive. He'll attack passing boats for fun. Most animals attack others out of a need for food or to protect themselves. The hippo does it for fun.

Then there is the salt water crocodile. An absolute legend of the WHC. Five time finalist, two time winner and possibly the most fearsome predator in the business. He has the most powerful bite around(more powerful than the estimated one of the T-Rex), in the death roll he has his own unique named killing move(the only beast in the competition to have this honour), he can survive with no loss of efficacy with a missing limb or tail, they can live in either fresh water or salt water, they'll swim out to sea and kill sharks, they can go a year without food. In short they're phenomenal competitors.

I really don't know which way to go.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Having been in a small boat on Lake Naivasha I can confirm that hippos certainly give you the heebie jeebies. I've not been in close proximity to a salty, but if I had I reckon I wouldn't be typing this right now...so its the croc for me.

Oct 25, 2003
this is a monumental clash of the titans

two huge behemoths willing to take on ANYTHING

I'm edging towards the Hippo as it doesn't attack and kill out of the desperation to eat, it attacks because it's ANGRY and enjoys the THRILL

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
On a trip to Queensland I saw a Salt Water Croc that went by the affectionate nickname of Gummy. It was an old brute and had lost most of its teeth, hence the name. Failing dentition tends to be the endgame for most creatures, as eating is an important aspect of continuing to live. However, Gummy's ambush skills and bite force were such that it was still able to catch and eat prey, teeth or no teeth. That is quite hard.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This deserves a bounce. It's the match up of the round if not the tournament.

A head mental powerhouse who fights for fun versus possibly nature's most finely honed killing machine. This is exactly the type of contest this competition was created for. Get on it NSC, it is a SCANDAL that the shark alone has more votes than these two combined.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The only danger a hippo causes is clumsiness knocking boats over that get in its way.

It really isnt. Their teeth are nigh on a foot long and they can run at stupid speed, whilst being nearly invisible in rivers and roaming some streets in SA. They are dangerous and hard as nails. Killing tourists is a favourite pass time

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The Hippo has played an absolute blinder. The Croc has undeniable pedigree and would have fancied its chances at kick off but has simply been shut out by the Hippo's pressing game. The Croc, unable to even get a foothold in the tie, seems frustrated and confused.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
As a kid I remember watching Jacques Cousteau on the TV he was in a lake in Africa, and stated he and his divers were more concerned about Hippos than any Croc.

Wise words, hence my vote.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
As a kid I remember watching Jacques Cousteau on the TV he was in a lake in Africa, and stated he and his divers were more concerned about Hippos than any Croc.

Wise words, hence my vote.

This isn't an African croc. The salt water croc is like a lion compared to the pussycat croc in Africa.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Neither one is Honey Badger hard.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Jacques was adamant, the hippo could take any croc.......

They don't live in the same continent. The salt water croc lives in Australasia, swims out into the ocean and kills sharks.
It's the only creature that has its own killing movement known as the Death Roll.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here