• Orca

Votes: 53 50.5%

• Total voters

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
World's Hardest Creature XI - 2nd Round - Black Swallower v Orca

To the deep! The 2nd tie of the 2nd round sees us venturing to the depths for what promises to be an enthralling encounter. Orca, a WHC veteran finds itself up against a new face and one which set the competition ablaze in the group stages. Strength meets pure mentalism in this unpredictable battle.

Black Swallower - Group A winner with 24 votes - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swallower
Back Swallower.jpg
What defines hard? Is it power? Strength? Cunning? An ability to tolerate environments that shrink the balls of less hardy creatures? WHC has always had high regard for those that get punchy when there is absolutely no need to and for those that put themselves in harm's way for the hell of it. And applying that core principle it seems that WHC might have found a new talisman in the form of the Black Swallower. The BS brings a freakish evolutionary trick to this year's tournament and one that captured the imagination in the group stages. It's small: no more than ten inches long and yet... it features articulated jaws and an extendable stomach that allow it to eat prey twice its size or ten times its mass. That's not far off you or I tucking into an American Bison in one gulp. The Swallower has been known to eat itself to death by gorging on prey it is unable to digest before decomposition sets in, at which point it bobs to the surface in a ball of gas. Even allowing for the weird s*** that goes on way down in the ocean this is odd, satisfyingly mental stuff.

Orca - Group B 4th place with 14 votes - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale
Orca.jpg
Orca edged out the Mantis Shrimp for the final berth in Group B but came in well behind the Croc, Hippo and Grasshopper Mouse. Despite the colossal difference in size, group stage votes suggest that the Orca is going to need to find something extra in its locker to progress. A sophisticated hunter, the Orca can hunt in packs and, in a noble WHC tradition, is prepared to take on actual whales, including the Sperm and Blue variety on special occasions. The Orca is a carnivore with a capital C, tucking into sharks, rays, dugongs, sea turtles and many, many more. Brute force perhaps but no less impressive for it.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Orca for me just for their amazing trick of knocking seals off icebergs by lining up and creating a bow wave that flushes the unwitting seal from its perch. Such intelligence against a creature that sometimes kills itself through over eating is surely a winner in my book.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
Orca. It actively hunts great whites, each family has its own unique language and familial hunting strategies. That and its not actually a whale, but a really big dolphin

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If the Black Swallower is hard, so is Fat Barry up the pub, both just greedy ******** IMHO.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've gone for the Orca. It's hardness may mostly be based on its massive size but it is also smart uses a combination of its brain and brawn.

The black swallower sounds dumb. It's basically the sea version of the fat bloke who explodes at the end of Monty Python's the meaning of life. Mildly amusing but not hard.

I can't see either of these two making it past the quarter finals.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Tricky one this.

Is the Black Swallower actually hard, or is he just greedy and generally a bit thick?

Orca's are one of my favourite creatures. But they don't really have too much to fear out there in the ocean, they're an apex predator so they have the freedom of the sea. This counts against them in my opinion as they SHOULD be hard by definition. They also tend to hunt in packs which also counts against them (safety in numbers etc.).

Pound for pound the Black Swallower wins this, even if he's the equivalent of Fat Larry down the pub.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
A 10 inch black swallower? Oooer missus.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here