Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Advice On Selling Old Albums

el punal

LPs or vinyl depending on your age! Anyway I've got a stack of albums from the golden age of the 70s that I'm thinking of selling, so I need some advice or suggestions on what route to take. Is it best to go on eBay or similar site, go to a record fair, or, sell privately. Looking forward to your replies boys and girls. :thumbsup:

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Check your local area for se one hand record shops. If you have a few rare LP's they might offer good money. Do a car boot sale, I shifted loads that way and got the prices I was asking. DO NOT USE E-BAY.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
LPs or vinyl depending on your age! Anyway I've got a stack of albums from the golden age of the 70s that I'm thinking of selling, so I need some advice or suggestions on what route to take. Is it best to go on eBay or similar site, go to a record fair, or, sell privately. Looking forward to your replies boys and girls. :thumbsup:

I would get them valued first. You could get a rough idea yourself by seeing what the going price is for similar on e-bay. What artists are you talking about?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Check out what your lps are going for on eBay first, then make that decision to either go through all that aggro of waiting fi4 bids, posting etc or take them down the record shops in Brighton that still buy them knowing what they go for.

Unless they are real collectors items in near mint condition, your lucky to get between 50p - £2 per record.
Sometimes best to hang on to them.

tonyt

Feb 23, 2009
Don’t sell them unless you have to.
You’re bound to regret it at some stage.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I sold my vinyl to Music Mania in Worthing & he gave me quite a bit more than I was going to ask him for. Worth getting a quote from him.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Ziffit.com has been recommended to me.

Check out their site, given your fair assessment of condition etc they will quote a price !

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Don't use eBay.
The buyers have no concept of 'fair condition'.
I'll occasionally buy from eBay and if someone describes an L.P. as fair I expect a somewhat bashed up sleeve and a disc with a few crackles ..
Lovely.
The buyers expect mint.
....and boy oh boy, do they complain.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer

Would you be allowed to list them on here with guide prices?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Discogs seems to be the established market place.
It's knocked the arse out of a lot of the 'big score' to an extent by establishing the market place with so much volume traded.
Classic 70s albums in good nick. .... If you sell bulk you'll do well to get more than £2 a disc.
If you DYR and spend some time you'll probably double that .... by it will be a ballache.
If you have a few rare gems in there it could be worth your while.
E.g. 'Frampton comes alive' has been known to sell for over £10!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Discogs is the best place. I only ever buy/sell vinyl on there.
If you search the vinyl you have, you will get an idea of what you can expect people to pay as well.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Ooooh. I was bought a turntable for Christmas and plugged into decent speaker ststem. I found my old vynals and now playing them all to see if they play ok.

If you put your albums on eBay. Let us know and I will bid!!! I want to build my collection again!

el punal

I would get them valued first. You could get a rough idea yourself by seeing what the going price is for similar on e-bay. What artists are you talking about?

I've checked some of the albums against similar on eBay to get an idea, but I feel I need to do more research. With regard to artists : The Who (Live at Leeds, Tommy, Quadrophenia, Who By Numbers, Who's Next), Led Zeppelin (Led Zep IV Symbols/ Physical Graffiti), Jethro Tull (Aqualung/ Double album - can't remember the title!), Yes (Close To The Edge/YesSongs)

Then I've got loads by various artists (eclectic me!) : Fairport Convention, Dory Previn, Neil Young, Barclay James Harvest, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Lindisfarne, Elton John, Bad Company, Traffic, Eagles, Clapton, Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green), Supertramp, Stevie Wonder, Moody Blues, Genesis and the list goes on.

One possible gem - Tons of Sobs by Free. I bought this around 1974 at a secondhand record shop in Brighton, Church Street I think, for 50p. Anyway, it's a Japanese edition and I've seen the same album going for up to £400 on various sites.

The moral question for me now is should I hang on to them? I've replicated most of them by buying them on CD format. Decisions, decisions!

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

Research, twice over. Sell the best individually, the rest in 'interest' batches. Good luck.

Ps I would keep them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here