Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Do we really need a new striker

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
With chances few and far between does it matter how good our strikers are. We might as well get more attacking midfielders with the system we play. Our biggest problem is Dunk and Duffy failing to weigh in with any set piece goals despite numerous glorious chances. 3 or 4 goals at the right moment would have had us sitting comfortably just above halfway.

Hamilton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
With chances few and far between does it matter how good our strikers are. We might as well get more attacking midfielders with the system we play. Our biggest problem is Dunk and Duffy failing to weigh in with any set piece goals despite numerous glorious chances. 3 or 4 goals at the right moment would have had us sitting comfortably just above halfway.

Hello Chris!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
We have to have a striker that can score goals and is a tad quicker than Murray and Hemed, as at the moment our wingers are getting the ball in the box, whilst Murray keeps tripping over his zimmer, trying to catch up!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I guess I'm right we are bottom of the premier league in terms of shots, but are we also down there in terms of chances created - if that is even a thing? There have been a lot of balls across the box that our strikers didn't get to, or balls over the top that ran through to the defenders - its been clear in many games that a striker with an extra yard or two of pace would get to these balls and get a shot away when Glenn or Tomer couldn't reach it. So to say we don't need a striker because we're not creating chances is ignoring that the striker themselves can create these chances by being in the right place.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

Does a bear shit in the woods?

Is the pope catholic?

Is the sky blue?

Is a frogs arse watertight?

All equally important questions

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes, but I see your point. Propper, Stephens, Dunk & Duffy all yet to score a league goal despite only missing one game between them. Not good enough.

We rarely push enough people forward for those players to be in a scoring position. They are for corners, but:

1. We don't get as many as other teams
2. We're seemingly shit at them

zefarelly

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Last decent striker we had was BZ circa 2001

last decent top flight striker we had was 1983 . . .

heathgate

Apr 13, 2015
A fast, physical, productive striker.... also a fast, physical and productive central midfielder.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

heathgate

Apr 13, 2015
Hello Mr Winstanley are you and your team struggling to do your job
There could be a change there soon... I suspect Bloom will once again shuffle and change the recruitment team... too late for this year, but we will once again be building the foundations for some aspirational future.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
So by definition, we really need someone to get it tou striker first, because with no service, the striker is no good.

57HpkqO.gif

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I'll be one of the few to echo the OP. I don't think we need a new striker. I think we can stay up with the current squad, and I wouldn't want to risk spurning £20+ mil plus wages on a striker who might not even keep us up. If we still insist on playing the 4-4-1-1 with Gross behind the striker, then what can a better Murray or Hemed do for us realistically? Maybe poke in one or two goals more from the few chances we are currently creating, at best? I'd much rather see us switch to 4-4-2 (at least for 30+ minutes of a game) and have Baldock stretch defences. It's slim pickings in the market and I don't think Dembele or Ze Luis are the answer.

Then again, I'm one of the few who won't be distraught if we are relegated. And when we lost to West Brom, I chalked that up as a bad day at the office and not a cataclysmic disaster that warrants calling for Chris' head for not playing more positively, when we played more positively in the league game prior to that. I'm just enjoying the ride and personally I think we've done bloody well to be sitting in 16th at this stage of the season as a newly promoted club!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here