Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seagull line

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The exact same thing happened with my parents... I had to dig out the number from a programme to convince them I hadn't been ringing one of those 60 second **** lines... Naturally I'd hung on for five minuets or more at times, my dad was probably secretly impressed.

Alas the £35 it all cost was less impressive :/

£35 was nothing….

I got beat black & blue, I’d only managed to record a whole two cassettes full of info, match reports etc ,by putting the phone next to the old cassette recorder, bit ropey to be fair. I thought I still had it (someone asked me if I still had it on here, the last time this was brought up I think it was Hans Kraft fan club) anyway my dad reminded me recently he took his shoes off, and smashed the feck out them after he got the phone bill.:lolol:

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I remember in the early 1960s when you often didn't get the result of an Albion game until the next day. Carlisle (away) on a Monday night - didn't find out the score until seeing the stop press on the back of next day's Daily Mirror (we won 1-0) Always the same when we played at Tranmere on a Friday night.

After that, it was waiting for the Argus Classified to be chucked into the local newsagents at about 5.30 on a Saturday night (or Sports Report on the radio)

Today, I could be on the other side of the World and get an instant score flash.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I remember in the early 1960s when you often didn't get the result of an Albion game until the next day. Carlisle (away) on a Monday night - didn't find out the score until seeing the stop press on the back of next day's Daily Mirror (we won 1-0) Always the same when we played at Tranmere on a Friday night.

After that, it was waiting for the Argus Classified to be chucked into the local newsagents at about 5.30 on a Saturday night (or Sports Report on the radio)

T[B]oday, I could be on the other side of the World and get an instant score flash[/B].

Or even more amazingly - you could be watching it live on some dodgy stream! (Mind you, an instant score flash might actually be a few minutes ahead...)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
When I was living in the West Country in the early 90s my Grandad used to save up all the Argus pages relating to the Albion and post them to me weekly so I could keep up to date. No internet in those days! Even a dial-up modem seemed revolutionary compared to that...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Or even more amazingly - you could be watching it live on some dodgy stream! (Mind you, an instant score flash might actually be a few minutes ahead...)

Both slower than analogue TV though! One of the areas where the world actually went backwards - live TV used to be more live back in the days.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Both slower than analogue TV though! One of the areas where the world actually went backwards - live TV used to be more live back in the days.

True - but you couldn't be sat in your apartment with the ability to watch every single game from the top leagues of Europe whilst devouring your pizza. You'd have been limited to internationals, and the FA Cup Final. If your parents weren't watching something else that is.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
True - but you couldn't be sat in your apartment with the ability to watch every single game from the top leagues of Europe whilst devouring your pizza. You'd have been limited to internationals, and the FA Cup Final. If your parents weren't watching something else that is.

True. A curse or a blessing?

Before the new era we also had one game of lower league English football on Swedish public TV each week. Can just vaguely recall how I'd wake up on a Saturday looking forward to watch Grimsby vs Rotherham. Times have changed.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Same with Cricket In my youth used to ring the office at County ground several times a day for the score

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Before the new era we also had one game of lower league English football on Swedish public TV each week. Can just vaguely recall how I'd wake up on a Saturday looking forward to watch Grimsby vs Rotherham. Times have changed.

You might even have watched the Albion!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I think back in the pre internet era more English football was shown on tv in many european countries than it was in errr . . . England.

Particularly true in Scandinavia and the the Netherlands l believe.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think back in the pre internet era more English football was shown on tv in many european countries than it was in errr . . . England.

Particularly true in Scandinavia and the the Netherlands l believe.

Quite possible.

Some strange consequences to it... Huddersfield is the most popular team among 50+ year old Swedes.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I do miss those days when, for example, finding pre-season results was a genuine errrmmm find. I seem to recall a list of fixtures in the back of a newspaper (on some distant summer holiday) where we’d beaten an Arsenal XI or similar... I thought, wow! We’ve arrived. Sadly we had not.

I miss watching ceefax at my grandads house, whilst getting the piss ripped out of me for choosing to support Brighton... being from such a northern family.

... getting in the car in time for sports report, waiting for the (then) third division results and having to deal with yet another defeat to Rochdale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here