Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Relax and chill a little .....

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I accept this isn't going to sit well with so many people but hey.

As with most of you I am Goldstone, travelled away, had a ST throughout Withdean and, of course during The Amex, no real shocks there.

Where I seem to differ from so many of you is the enjoyment I get from following the Albion and the impact our season(s) have on my life.

Please don't get me wrong, I like to see us win, I love seeing us home & away in the Premier League and enjoy the odd cup run.

With all of that said more than anything I enjoy following The Albion, be that away at Kidderminster Harriers or home to Chelsea. When we lose I'm disappointed, that's it. If, and I don't think it will happen, we got relegated I'd be disappointed, but life carries on. We'll need reasonable status to maintain the stadium etc but we are more than capable of doing that.

People are expressing deep sorrow, anger, tears and horror; leave that for war, personal tragedy, famine and terrorism, not a game of footie.

CH will keep us up, so keep your chins up, but next time you feel any real anger or sorrow take a look at Save The Children's website, or the NSPCC, UNICEF, Poverty Action etc, The Albion is very important to me and to you, but everyone's trying their best, a striker will come, we'll sign two great loanees and the World will keep on spinning.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

As with most of you I am Goldstone, travelled away, had a ST throughout Withdean and, of course during The Amex, no real shocks there.

Where I seem to differ from so many of you is the enjoyment I get from following the Albion and the impact our season(s) have on my life.

Please don't get me wrong, I like to see us win, I love seeing us home & away in the Premier League and enjoy the odd cup run.

With all of that said more than anything I enjoy following The Albion, be that away at Kidderminster Harriers or home to Chelsea. When we lose I'm disappointed, that's it. If, and I don't think it will happen, we got relegated I'd be disappointed, but life carries on. We'll need reasonable status to maintain the stadium etc but we are more than capable of doing that.

People are expressing deep sorrow, anger, tears and horror; leave that for war, personal tragedy, famine and terrorism, not a game of footie.

CH will keep us up, so keep your chins up, but next time you feel any real anger or sorrow take a look at Save The Children's website, or the NSPCC, UNICEF, Poverty Action etc, The Albion is very important to me and to you, but everyone's trying their best, a striker will come, we'll sign two great loanees and the World will keep on spinning.

The fact that you've been a fan through good times and bad can only help put in perspective the current situation, IMHO.

PG

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

I could have written this myself. Sums up my attitude exactly. Perhaps some people need to experience something horrible in their lives to put everything in to perspective, not that I would wish this upon anyone.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I feel the same. I really don't like it when we lose, but I know I have watch from the Goldstone, Withdean and Amex, not presifields (bad fan), but I was working abroad for most of the time we were there, so avoided probably the grimmest time. I know that no mater what happens I will be there, watching (sometimes through my fingers). When I go to hame games, I do not feel any different before a match in the Premier League as I did for any championship game. I will be gutted for the players, Tony Bloom and the club if we go down. For me I am just happy to see what pans out at the end of the season and not get worked up about it.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE

The sentiment of this I wholeheartedly agree with, A sense of reality of course is needed BUT some people are less sure that we will stay up or what striker will come. No it wouldn't be the end of the world but I think that we all have a right to express our concern over something that that could be avoided and should be our NUMBER ONE priority.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The sentiment of this I wholeheartedly agree with, A sense of reality of course is needed BUT some people are less sure that we will stay up or what striker will come. No it wouldn't be the end of the world but I think that we all have a right to express our concern over something that that could be avoided and should be our NUMBER ONE priority.

I couldn’t agree more with [MENTION=7324]Tim Over Whelmed[/MENTION], if you’re an Albion fan for any length of time, you’ll realise that these are the golden years.
The negativity on this board at the moment, is, in some ways understandable, it’s the inference that TB, PB, CH, and PW, aren’t trying to give us the best possible chance of staying up that really pisses me off. It will mean more to these four Gentlemen than any one else, if we manage to beat the drop.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Yep I'm with the OP. Watched My beloved team at The Goldstone, Priestfield, With Dean and The Amex. It's nice to know others are out there who if we get relegated will not feel it's the end of the world. I think The Palace cup game highlighted this. Not too much interest to attend and yet a fairly entertaining game was witnessed by a noisy 14k crowd in our beautiful Stadium. It will be great if we can live The Premier league dream a little longer but even if we do get relegated I don't think we will go as low as watching our team in Gillingham in front of 1k fans.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

Very very well put.

I started supporting in the Withdean years (what was wrong with me?!) And this is brilliant! I am loving this season, my son has got to see us go up against some of the best players int he world. I left the Liverpool game amazed at the skill and pace of their counter attack and so happy that I had got to the game.

If we look back to the days when I started following I was desperate for us to be yo-yo club between Prem and Championship.

In the last 15 or so years I think we have only had 1 or 2 seasons where we haven't been in a relegation or promotion fight. Let's be honest, if we were mid table Prem already it would be a bit dull. I have got annoyed when we lose games, I have moaned on here and on twitter during and shortly after games however my in laws are both just finishing up cancer treatment and that has put the lows (and highs) massively into perspective

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that." Bill Shankly :thumbsup:

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Well said!

And to summarise what was said on here after Saturdays match (where we lost away in the Prem).

Hughton OUT he hasn't a plan B or C and we are not even sure he has a plan A and he's lost the dressing room (really?) Oh and there's a poll so it must be true.
Ryan OUT he doesn't come for corners and he's tiny tiny tiny.
Bruno OUT how long is the team going to have to carry this geriatric?
Dunk and Duffy OUT they can't defend corners.
Knocky OUT there's a poll so it must be true.
Propper and Stephens OUT if they don't play it back they just pass to the opposition.
March OUT someone offered to drive him to Burnley ( I hope tongue in cheek).
Gross OUT he's just rubbish and there's a poll to prove it.
Murray OUT see Bruno above.
Winstanley OUT he will get back from his winter sun holiday on Feb 1st.
Bloom OUT when oh when will he put his hands in his pockets for this club
Forgotten was Burke OUT for sending lengthy answers to our emails.

A very depressing read and I wasn't a member of NSC before 2010 but I did read it.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Should the worst happen, which I dodn't think it will, I will still go to the Amex every home game, buy a pie & pint and swear at the lottery ticket for having the wrong time on it.
I've done just about every away game for the past few years but I have to admit, PL or Championship next season, my away days have finished this year. Getting too old.
Having lost my Daughter in November I know there are worst things in life than relegation, but football, as he said, is more important than that. And he was right. It gets people through the bad times with hope and thrills and excitement on a Saturday afternoon (or whenever). Relax and chill, you must be joking. If I wanted to relax I'd have supported cricket.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Tim, I absolutely agree. It's brilliant to see who we're playing and where we are, and nobody expected it to be easy.

That said, I want us to look like we're enjoying the Prem. To play with passion, and to attack teams - particularly those around us. We've shown we can go toe-to-toe with teams in this division and have got some excellent results so far. When we play properly (Bournemouth, Southampton, West Ham, Swansea, Palace-cup), we create chances and score goals.
When we try to eliminate risk from the game, we seem to invite it in. Teams attack us to win corners, our defence is losing confidence and our strikers aren't getting any service.

So yes, let's keep the faith - but if we're going to go down, let's go down playing football.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London

Well said but we’re you a ST at Gillingham????!

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Yep I'm with the OP. Watched My beloved team at The Goldstone, Priestfield, With Dean and The Amex. It's nice to know others are out there who if we get relegated will not feel it's the end of the world. I think The Palace cup game highlighted this. Not too much interest to attend and yet a fairly entertaining game was witnessed by a noisy 14k crowd in our beautiful Stadium. It will be great if we can live The Premier league dream a little longer but even if we do get relegated I don't think we will go as low as watching our team in Gillingham in front of 1k fans.

Completely agree, We have experienced the Premiership and are now aware there are two sections,one the elite and the others who have to play very defensive to keep above the relegation zone which results in low entertainment and far less enjoyment that we had in the Championship

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
The fact that you've been a fan through good times and bad can only help put in perspective the current situation, IMHO.

PG

And herein lies the problem. I think many on here have only experienced the good times, so have no concept of the really bad times. Win the next two games and we’re in the top half of the league. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here