Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Sala [signed by Cardiff, confirmed to have been on missing aircraft]

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
You're an insensitive tw@t. How must his family and friends feel? Did you see a hard man in Neil Warnock break down in tears on Saturday?

Hopefully you get a short break from NSC. :wanker:

I'm not really seeing your point to be honest. When anyone dies tragically its hard for their friends and family regardless of whether they are in the public eye.

Hopefully they'll find both bodies so both families can have some closure.

Cardiff as harsh as it sounds need to move on and concentrate on trying to stay up.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BCBAE056-30B1-4E6A-AB18-FDAC8C876A76.png

Hopefully, no Brighton fans will be so dumb when Cardiff visit.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'm probably going to regret this having looked at the reception one previous sceptical poster received, but here goes...

A young professional athlete dies in tragic circumstances. For his family, friends, team mates, it is a tragedy. It may even be a tragedy for Cardiff City FC and their fans. For me, as a fan of football, and as an empathetic human, it's a sad story that I've had an interest in and am keen to know the outcome of. But it's simply that, a very sad story.

In the last 16 days I've been to 3 football matches that have been preceded by either a minute's silence or a minute's applause dedicated to Emiliano Sala. I think that's over the top. I also think that because we now inhabit a culture where we have to be seen to be overtly grieving, praying, celebrating every life cut short, that the football club that doesn't publicly grieve will be lambasted by the media. This disproportionate response to perceived tragedies is diluting the sentiment for when it's truly needed.

At the Amex on Saturday I did not join my fellow fans and stand and clap for a minute, I went out & bought a Bovril. That doesn't mean I don't care, it's just that it's 3 weeks down the line and I was thirsty.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm probably going to regret this having looked at the reception one previous sceptical poster received, but here goes...

A young professional athlete dies in tragic circumstances. For his family, friends, team mates, it is a tragedy. It may even be a tragedy for Cardiff City FC and their fans. For me, as a fan of football, and as an empathetic human, it's a sad story that I've had an interest in and am keen to know the outcome of. But it's simply that, a very sad story.

In the last 16 days I've been to 3 football matches that have been preceded by either a minute's silence or a minute's applause dedicated to Emiliano Sala. I think that's over the top. I also think that because we now inhabit a culture where we have to be seen to be overtly grieving, praying, celebrating every life cut short, that the football club that doesn't publicly grieve will be lambasted by the media. This disproportionate response to perceived tragedies is diluting the sentiment for when it's truly needed.

At the Amex on Saturday I did not join my fellow fans and stand and clap for a minute, I went out & bought a Bovril. That doesn't mean I don't care, it's just that it's 3 weeks down the line and I was thirsty.
I think that's fair enough.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Don't regret what you have said, I entirely agree. There seems to be a trend for people to be seen to grieve on other peoples tragedies. There is no connection between Sala and the Albion (apart from one friendly), for that matter, every club in PL other than one. I felt the same about the Leicester tragedy.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

Agree 100%

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its sad, but tragedy's like this happen to not famous people all the time. The one time when it was obvious there was no hope for their survival was enough of a respect.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

Sums up how I feel.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Spot on, and well done for saying something that lots of people thought but would be too scared to post.

It's a terrible thing but..... What you said.

See Poppy shaming. It demeans the real feeling when everyone "has" to do it for fear of being demonised. Real feelings and thoughts are diminished and replaced by fear of retribution. Can't be healthy.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I understand what you mean elsewhere, but Football has always done minutes silences I'm afraid - it's hardly a new thing. Where have you been ?

I felt it particularly odd in respect of the Queen Mother, but when something has happened that is either to do with your own club or the wider "football community", it's a minutes silence and/or black armbands.

I'm not passing judgement either way, but to describe football as "a culture where we have to be seen to be overtly grieving, praying, celebrating every life cut short" is inaccurate.

It has always behaved like that (even "Pre-Diana") and if anything the rest of the world has "caught up".

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I disagree in respect of football, but understand what you mean elsewhere.

Football as always done minutes silences I'm afraid - it's hardly a new thing.

I felt it particularly odd in respect of the Queen Mother, but when something has happened that is either to do with your own club or the wider "football community", it's minutes silence and/or black armbands.

If anything the rest of the world has caught up with football.

Really, I've been watching the Albion for over 40 years and it is only recently that the minutes applause/silence has become common place. Can't recall but not sure we did a minutes appreciation when Alan Ball died or even Sir Alf Ramsey. There was no recognition when Doug Ellis died recently and he led Villa to the European Cup. Over those 40 years there have been countless former England players that have died and that we, in this country, should have more of an affinity to than Sala but they weren't honoured.

As I said on another thread, these are all tragic events, especially for those close to the individual, but for the majority, it is just a sad news story.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I understand what you mean elsewhere, but Football has always done minutes silences I'm afraid - it's hardly a new thing. Where have you been ?

I felt it particularly odd in respect of the Queen Mother, but when something has happened that is either to do with your own club or the wider "football community", it's a minutes silence and/or black armbands.

I'm not passing judgement either way, but to describe football as "a culture where we have to be seen to be overtly grieving, praying, celebrating every life cut short" is inaccurate.

It has always behaved like that (even "Pre-Diana") and if anything the rest of the world has "caught up".
Yes, football has always done that. But over the past 20 years or so it's become a bit daft. A minutes silence for The Queen Mum, a minutes silence for Ken Bigley (remember that?) and so many others.

Now any football related death in the public eye = every club and every match having to "show that they care" or woe betide them.

It takes away from real feelings and real grief when it's all so forced.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
There was a flyover at The Dyke radio controlled plane club for the other bloke the football family doesn’t care about. RIP err Mr Pilot:down:

On that note, I recall that about £320,000 was raised by crowd funding to charter the FPV Morven to search for the plane. On locating the plane and Sala’s body, on day one, that search seemed to end. Why did the search team not continue to search for a second body and was the whole £320,000 used up at that point?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
On that note, I recall that about £320,000 was raised by crowd funding to charter the FPV Morven to search for the plane. On locating the plane and Sala’s body, on day one, that search seemed to end. Why did the search team not continue to search for a second body and was the whole £320,000 used up at that point?

No, the pilot wasn't with the plane and the weather was closing in. There is a separate fund being raised for the search for the pilot.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm staggered people think the pilot has been ignored. So much so that he is still being referred to as 'the pilot'

I've seen and heard the name David Ibbotson probably every day since they were both named as missing.

He will never get quite the same reaction because plane fans don't tend to gather on a Saturday in their 10's of thousands unlike football fans.

David Ibbotson. There. Another mention.

Let's hope he is found with the huge funding that's now being held for David....ummmm....Inkleman?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I agree with others on here the pilot has been largely ignored in this sadly.

I think, that some people are blaming the pilot, rightly or wrongly, for the accident. There did seem to be some speculation on that pilot's forum that 5000 feet was just the wrong height for icing on the wings, he had flown past two or three airfields without requesting to land, and other speculations. He wasn't with the plane when it was found.

All speculation of course, and no doubt it will all come out when the reports finally come in at the inquests.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here