Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Sala [signed by Cardiff, confirmed to have been on missing aircraft]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Today was Emiliano Sala's sad funeral in his hometown in Argentina. The weather looked beautiful although inevitably a very sombre mood.

Class of Neil Warnock to travel that distance and pay his respects. Also, well done to the BBC for making it their main news after a headlines debate in the last couple of days that I don't get involved in.

RIP Emiliano. :angel:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Cardiff written to other Premier League clubs to get advice as to how to get out of paying Nantes apparently.

Quote they want help ‘fighting off Nantes’

Classy

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This could end up being catastrophic for Cardiff. Strong possibility they will get relegated this year and they could start next in the championship with a a massive points deduction. Even if they stay up, likely any points deduction will apply to next year. Would suspect that Uefa/Fifa will not take kindly to a club not honouring a transfer agreement and could well get sanctions such as a transfer imbargo.

Cardiff should be paying this fee and suing the agent that organized the flight!

I would suspect all of this is due to the club being told their insurance doesn't cover this otherwise why would they damage their reputation in this way? Not sure what Warnock will do as he suggested he was close to giving up. If he is as honourable as that suggested then surely he should walk away now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I imagine the £15M would have included all sorts of bonuses and caveats - appearances, goals scored, staying up or whatever. Obviously these can never be achieved now, so Cardiff looking at exactly what their liabilities are. Fair enough. As one of the comments on the Tweet said, "Hatchet job on Cardiff".

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I imagine the £15M would have included all sorts of bonuses and caveats - appearances, goals scored, staying up or whatever. Obviously these can never be achieved now, so Cardiff looking at exactly what their liabilities are. Fair enough. As one of the comments on the Tweet said, "Hatchet job on Cardiff".

Nantes were only requesting the first down payment which would have nothing to do with appearances etc. When the story leaked about Nantes having written to Cardiff demanding the payment, it seemed that some were reporting that the news came from a 'source' at Cardiff.

Cardiff should be paying the initial payment and then look at what 'caveats' apply to the balance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wow! Didn't take long before the funeral, could count the number of hours on the fingers of one hand in fact, before they started squabbling over the money. But then you knew they always would, and far sooner rather than later. A suitable comparison would be the buyer of the Banksy that shredded itself at auction as soon as the gavel went down.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Assuming the player had actually signed the contract with Cardiff then surely Cardiff owe the money agreed with Nantes? I’m guessing Cardiff may also be liable for the players wages for the term of the contract signed unless it specially states otherwise in the contract? If Cardiff want to reduce the financial losses then they take this up with their insurance company and the agent(s) involved.

Their fight is not with Nantes. Nantes have done nothing wrong. He was no longer their player.

The sad thing it’s all about the money now and people will forget two people sadly died and the inpact this squabbling over money will have in the families invovled.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Wow! Didn't take long before the funeral, could count the number of hours on the fingers of one hand in fact, before they started squabbling over the money. But then you knew they always would, and far sooner rather than later. A suitable comparison would be the buyer of the Banksy that shredded itself at auction as soon as the gavel went down.

Didn't that instantly double the value of the piece though?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
On the BBC news last night they interviewed Neil Warnock at the funeral in Argentina.

He said, "People ask me why am I here, when Emiliano hadn't even played for Cardiff? Well, he was still my player."

You could almost hear the Cardiff City lawyers screaming "Noooooooooooooo!" at their televisions.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Nantes were only requesting the first down payment which would have nothing to do with appearances etc. When the story leaked about Nantes having written to Cardiff demanding the payment, it seemed that some were reporting that the news came from a 'source' at Cardiff.

Cardiff should be paying the initial payment and then look at what 'caveats' apply to the balance.

Cardiff should be paying the full fee. They should also have at least helped with the fees to recoup his body instead of a ''public fundraising begging bowl'' to do so.

After that they should be establishing whether they have either an individual of global insurance policy which covers their loss. If there isn't they should swallow their loos and get on with it.

No use taking all the plaudits of how nice a club they are in they way that they dealt with this tragic act and then all the while seeking to avoid paying what they are due to pay.

The events are absolutely tragic but to compound them with all this tragic and underhanded dealings is truly beyond belief.

Oh and one other thing - If their Solicitor doesn't have the expertise to deal with this ''in house'' I would suggest they should sack their solicitor and find one who can

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
I have an office in south wales. One of our staff has heard that Cardiff are not insured for the full transfer value. Take it as you like.

Why are they now arguing over the players value AFTER signing him?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I suppose the question is would Cardiff be questioning the deal had the player not died?

Of course they wouldn't have, he would have played and Cardiff would have hoped he would have helped them stay in the PL.

Sounds more like that Cardiff have an issue with their insurers, whether that is due to an oversight at their end in adding the player to the schedule, or having a cap on the maximum payable which is well below £15m or something similar.

Cardiff seem to be implying (with the letters to other clubs) that they were induced into paying £15m due to false information regarding the interest and therefore market value of the player. This overlooks the fact that they were at the time prepared to pay £15m and no doubt wouldn't have questioned the value if he scored the goals that kept them up and they next season received an offer of £25m+.

I'm not sure that the suggestion that the player was not registered with the PL is anything more than grasping at any potential loophole on the part of Cardiff. If the player had signed a contract with Cardiff then he is a Cardiff player, whether of not he was registered with the PL is in my view irrelevant.

Cardiff are saying they want to do the right thing, then the right thing I would suggest is to pay the first installment of the £15m as requested by Nantes and not to be seen as trying to wriggle out of the deal now.

While the circumstances are rare in the extreme, how would Cardiff have handled the situation if the player had suffered a serious injury in his first training session with the club, which put him out of action for 12 months. Would they have looked to wriggle out of the transfer or just accepted the position as one of bad luck but something that can happen.

From here it looks like Cardiff are looking at purely from a position of where they have lost an asset and have no resale value for the future, and therefore have to take the £15m hit on their accounts.

It will be interesting to see how this develops

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Not so. Paying the first instalment could be considered as tacit consent to the whole deal. No reason why Cardiff shouldn't get the end game sorted before starting to pay. They haven't, after all, said they won't pay (in fact they have stated they will pay what they should) - they are just clarifying what is actually payable first.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Pay £15M quid for an asset? Look after it. Don't just let it jump in a plane held together with stick-back plastic sub-contracted to the friend of a friend of an agent or whatnot.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/cardiff-city-seeking-help-premier-14010307

The more you look at it the dodgier this whole deal seems with the amount of agents involved etc. A player has lost his life but he seems to have been a pawn in a very dodgy deal that appears to have lined the pockets of quite a few agents.

I suppose the question is would Cardiff be questioning the deal had the player not died?

if the grounds for questioning are the agent leaked emails, probably would have, just we wouldnt hear about it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here