Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Latest Windows 10 Update Problems.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
On my laptop, it took ages to happen then the black screen of doom appeared for ages and ages after logging in, and no sound.
Managed to cure both thanks to forums accessed on my old emergency laptop.
Anyone else having problems - again?!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
On my laptop, it took ages to happen then the black screen of doom appeared for ages and ages after logging in, and no sound.
Managed to cure both thanks to forums accessed on my old emergency laptop.
Anyone else having problems - again?!

Today my PC started installing updates, got stuck on 86 per cent then a message came up saying it was unable to complete installation and would uninstall everything it had installed so far. When it had completed that it restarted and worked without problems.

D

Deleted member 22389

Doesn't happen on Linux! ;-)

Wife bought a new laptop about a year ago with Windows 10. It takes an age to install the updates, shut down. It does annoy me because the laptop has a good spec, and if we installed Linux on it the machine would fly. I tried getting my wife to use Linux before, the issue came with getting her to use Libre Office instead of Microsoft Office for work and that was the stumbling block. In the end she went back to Windows.

Last edited by a moderator:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
This weeks updates were a ****ing mare it too 2 hours and 3 reboots before hanging on 86% then telling me updates could not be completed then took an hour to roll them back. Now Im getting a constant message saying couldnt install updates

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Got the takes-forever update installed on my newish (Windows 10) tablet yesterday. Once it had finished, and once I'd started browsing again I got a pop-up saying something like 'Do you want to remove your old version of Windows? Warning: you won't be able to use it again'. So looks like you may well have problems if your machine hasn't got enough free space to hold TWO complete versions of Windows during the update.

Oh,and have you tried turning it off and on again?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Wife bought a new laptop about a year ago with Windows 10. It takes an age to install the updates, shut down. It does annoy me because the laptop has a good spec, and if we installed Linux on it the machine would fly. I tried getting my wife to use Linux before, the issue came with getting her to use Libre Office instead of Microsoft Office for work and that was the stumbling block. In the end she went back to Windows.

Bash do you have a recommended office type product on linux? Is open office alright or are there benefits to libre?

D

Deleted member 22389

Bash do you have a recommended office type product on linux? Is open office alright or are there benefits to libre?

Libre was forked from open office a few years ago now. You will find Libre Preinstalled on many Linux distros. Out of the two Libre is the better supported these days and each update brings more features. Still not as good as M$, but Libre is perfectly fine for general use. You can also save your documents in .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx so they open in M$ office. You can run M$ office in Linux also using wine or crossover office. Obviously you get the odd blip with it.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Black screen for a while, then a box stated 'updating preferences' or something, then it just froze for half an hour (went for a coffee).
All my anti virus software had to be re activated as it had turned off.
All working now, just an inconvenience.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Some of the feature update on Win10 are just crazy, with a slow connection you've real problems.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
It's been a nightmare on my latest laptop (HP Pavilion) bought purely to stream TV Mucho as it accepts our high speed broadband (300mbs). The older Lenovo laptops have received the same Windows 10 updates without any problem at the slow (50mbs) speed. I have no idea if the speed difference affects the download and installation of the updates?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
My updates for Windows 10 always start at 1800 hours (my choice) and never had any problems at all.Quick blast with CCleaner after to get rid of any tmp files they didn't bother to self-destruct (sometimes over 1Gb worth!) and back in business.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Libre was forked from open office a few years ago now. You will find Libre Preinstalled on many Linux distros. Out of the two Libre is the better supported these days and each update brings more features. Still not as good as M$, but Libre is perfectly fine for general use. You can also save your documents in .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx so they open in M$ office. You can run M$ office in Linux also using wine or crossover office. Obviously you get the odd blip with it.

Getting confused a bit bash with all the linux distros. I see Linux Mint comes with Libre, and being MS compatible that is of use to me potentially. Whats your favoourite distros and why? I want tthe lowest CPU load on a PI. Ive only ever worked wwith an old school version of red hat and centos

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here