Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Cyrille Regis dies

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Aged just 59. Very sad and ever so slightly ironic given the Bong racism row.....

WEST BROM legend Cyrille Regis has died aged 59 of a suspected heart attack, it has been announced.

The former Baggies, Coventry and England striker was idolised by the Hawthorns faithful.

Cyrille Regis is one of West Brom's most loved ever players

Part of the Baggies' trailblazing team of the 80's, Regis famously teamed up with iconic black West Brom stars Laurie Cunningham and Brendon Batson to devastating effect.

The 'Three Degrees' broke the mould in English football and helped show the way for countless other black players break through and change English football.

Regis won five caps for England between 1982 and 87, despite being eligible to play for France, having been born in French Guiana in 1958.

He became only the third black player to be capped by England when made his debut in a 4-0 win over Northern Ireland in the Home International Championship at Wembley, coming on for Trevor Francis.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Another hero gone RIP Cyril

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Met him a couple of times. Always had time for people.

Sad news

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A very sad day for English football. RIP to a legend.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Late eighties was my era when I idolised footballers and Cyrillie Regis was one of them. I remember him playing for Coventry in the top flight and the 1987 FA Cup final when they beat Spurs - what a match! 3-2 to Coventry, causing a big shock. He also scored a lot of goals. A big part of my childhood.

Very sad to die so young. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP Cyrille. :(

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
_99597163_rexfeatures_3027874a.jpg

Great shot. Sad news.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
59, that’s tragic. Remember when he came on the scene and Hugh Johns commentating on The Throstles on Sunday soccer. Think he might have scored ITV’s goal of the season one time.
RIP Cyrille

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He had a heart attack aged only 59. That's far too young, especially when he was an accomplished sportsman. Thoughts for his family & friends.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
So sad, one of my few real heroes of the game ... what wouldn't we give for someone like him in our team now. RIP fella

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
RIP another legend passes too young .

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Terrible news
WBA legend along with Astle, Brown and Laurie Cunningham
[emoji22]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
One of my favourite ever non Albion players. Iconic at WBA, including a BBC goal of the season in the 80s, and influential for Coventry in that great 1987 cup winning season for them. A genuine footballing legend.

RIP big fella.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here