Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Carillion on the brink ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
We here it on the news along with print media with 'everyone' having an input (not many solutions) but just how does a company run up huge debts let alone pension debt or have they simply undercut all other companies in the market to win the contract and this is the result ?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Poor management, Carillion wouldn't have cash to pay for its projects so would borrow to pay for those projects. The chances are, market conditions went against them, it all sounds a bit like Monarch and management not adapting to the changing landscape.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the government bails out Carillion after cancelling Virgin's train contract on the East Coast 3 years early this could spell the end for PFI. Profits for shareholders in the good times yet taxpayer takes the hit in the bad times?

As for Chris Grayling - what a c*n't!

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Something that has always intrigued me is how the banks let it happen not just the once but loads of times. If we get near to an overdraft scenario they are breathing fire and brimstone down the phones at us.
Unfortunately the Government are in a no win situation, do they bail them out or let them go under and put 20,000 out of work. No tax co.ing ing but dole money going out.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
I'm sure that as they are major government contractors, the tax-payer will be expected to foot the bill. As with the banking collapses, rail network etc. privatise profits and nationalise the losses seems to be the way.

A little bit of digging suggests that certain board members, past and present, have shown more creativity in ring-fencing their (£multi-million) bonuses than actually running a sustainable business

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The company issues a profit warning and a week later the government gives them a new contract. Ministerial incompetence + rampant free markets is a recipe for disaster.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Liquidated.

(I always said that Fish was shit.)

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The company issues a profit warning and a week later the government gives them a new contract. Ministerial incompetence + rampant free markets is a recipe for disaster.

As I have said, the government have their eye well off the ball with domestic issues

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Grayling should go for this.

A consequence of overly aggressive pricing of contracts. Speaking as someone who vigorously opposes nationalisation, this is a classic example of the worst excesses of the private sector. CEO pisses off before it all goes tits up and leaves everyone else with the mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I never understood the principle of PFI, I.e putting all the risk on the company to build something and only getting paid by a mortgage type settlement ...and then having opposition parties whinging that the payments to recouperate and provide a profit for doing it, are far too high.

If carillon were having to stump up the money to build these huge hospitals etc, then they could only do that by borrowing...which will then lead to a spiral of debt.

It doesn't seem rocket science that this model would never work.

WATFORD zero

Jul 10, 2003
Audit heavyweight EY was placed on standby on Friday to step in as administrator if banks and the government could not thrash out a deal to save the firm.

EY was said to be favoured by the company’s directors, possibly because Lee Watson, a partner at the audit giant, is on secondment to Carillion, acting as a director and as the contractor’s chief transformation officer ???

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The efficiency & value for money by outsourcing to private enterprise eh?

Or the devolving of public sector works to private companies as the government hasn't the money or the will to pay for them....the government can't afford to buy pencils and books for school s at the moment . This collapse is a lot more serious that people think.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
PFI was a bad initiative bought in by Major aggressively adopted by Blair

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Grayling should go for this.

I know its popular to scream for a resignation whenever something goes wrong, but what really is the ministers position in this? if they award the large contract to someone else, it only precipitates the demise of Carillion. thats not good reason to award to Carllion alone but just highlights this isnt a problem of government making, its poor management/accountancy in the business. tenders and bids go through painfully long processes, which are dictated to bey law and civil service guidelines, so they fit the bill they get the contract. If anything, those drafting the contracts/tenders are the ones to blame as they clearly load them and load them in favour of costs above all else.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know its popular to scream for a resignation whenever something goes wrong, but what really is the ministers position in this?

Due diligence

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Due diligence

which is carried out by the department involved in tendering, not a minister personally. if the advice given to the minister is "this company is about to go bust" they award a contract, they should go. is that what happen here?

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
which is carried out by the department involved in tendering, not a minister personally. if the advice given to the minister is "this company is about to go bust" they award a contract, they should go. is that what happen here?

The minister/government is ultimately accountable. Carillion publicly gave a profits warning, and it was no secret they were seriously struggling.....yet a further contract was awarded. This is either utter incompetence, or corrupt, or both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here