Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Bernard Tomic - "Going home to count my millions"

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/42680163

Australian tennis player exits from his home Grand Slam in the final qualifying round and pretty much says he doesn't give a fig as he's got 14 million quid in the bank at the age of 25. Amused me to a certain extent. Guess the Aussies aren't too fond of some of their current tennis players' attitudes.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/42680163

Australian tennis player exits from his home Grand Slam in the final qualifying round and pretty much says he doesn't give a fig as he's got 14 million quid in the bank at the age of 25. Amused me to a certain extent. Guess the Aussies aren't too fond of some of their current tennis players' attitudes.

The remark echoed his reaction to criticism for a lack of commitment in Madrid last year, when he said: "Would you care if you were 23 and worth over $10m?"

Huge number of UK soccer 'starlets' share much the same attitude. Too much, too soon.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The remark echoed his reaction to criticism for a lack of commitment in Madrid last year, when he said: "Would you care if you were 23 and worth over $10m?"

Huge number of UK soccer 'starlets' share much the same attitude. Too much, too soon.

I am embarrased to admit that I might have had the same attitude at 23, although I wouldn’t have come out and publically admitted it :down:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If you won £10 mil in the lottery, had it in the bank, and were criticised by your employer, would you really care? I get its not a perfect analogy but still...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you won £10 mil in the lottery, had it in the bank, and were criticised by your employer, would you really care? I get its not a perfect analogy but still...

If you won £10 mil in the lottery, had it in the bank and still had an employer...I think you'd need your head testing!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hes a fricking chodnut of the highest order and not even that good

Yes, he's so bad that he's got millions in the bank. Fecking useless!, he should apologise immediately :lol:

I don't think he's the actual problem here.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If you won £10 mil in the lottery, had it in the bank and still had an employer...I think you'd need your head testing!

I'd potentially stick at my job, maybe part time. I'd certainly pack in all extra responsibilities I have there.

And bear in mind for a sportsperson their job is also millions of people's (and probably, though not always, their) favourite hobby.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am embarrased to admit that I might have had the same attitude at 23, although I wouldn’t have come out and publically admitted it :down:
Me to although the problems would have occurred when I was 25 and broke.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Yes, he's so bad that he's got millions in the bank. Fecking useless!, he should apologise immediately :lol:

I don't think he's the actual problem here.

What do you think is the actual problem then?

What has he won to accrue that amount of money - genuine question. I cant be ar sed to google but a couple junior slams and a quarter final at Wimbledon is all I can think of. He's a prickand a very disrespectful one at that

WhingForPresident

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Just as much of a prick as that other Australian tennis player thats name escapes me that could be decent if he wasn't such a colossal bellend.

Edit: Nick Kyrgios. Googled 'dickhead Australian tennis player' and it came up.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
10 million and you would work? Jeez give me strength.......

Depends - it wouldn't be for the money but I'd need to do something to keep myself occupied, and I quite enjoy the basic premise of my job and think I'm not too bad at it. I'm not really entrepreneurial so wouldn't be going down that road to try and turn £10 mil into £20 mil. Maybe I could find a way to do something similar on a voluntary/charitable basis.

Anyway, this reminded me to check my Euromillons ticket from Friday. One number and no lucky stars, so better get back to the prep for tomorrow's day at work.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So, let's recap. He's not good enough to be one of the worlds best without putting in double the work he's putting in at the moment. He's got more money to live on than he can possibly spend if he behaves himself, and he can support himself travelling around the world and playing some tennis from time to time. His motivation for tennis is fairly obviously low, and he's just being honest with himself and the world.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So, let's recap. He's not good enough to be one of the worlds best without putting in double the work he's putting in at the moment. He's got more money to live on than he can possibly spend if he behaves himself, and he can support himself travelling around the world and playing some tennis from time to time. His motivation for tennis is fairly obviously low, and he's just being honest with himself and the world.
Seems fair to me. It's easy sat here on a Sunday afternoon after too much lunch and too much wine saying that other people should work harder because, er, erm - shit, just because alright! WTF? Being a top level tennis player must take more effort and dedication than I can imagine.

If I had the choice of either having fun and enjoying life, with the shit ton of money I'd already earnt (and plenty more I'd continue to earn), or working like a dog all the time to become someone who's still not as good as the top players, I imagine I'd choose the former.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

I think it's a fairly strange attitude considering he could probably earn double, triple or more times what he has earnt if he worked hard for just 5 years more. He'd still have the rest of his life to live at 30 but would be even more comfortable. I do wonder what most would do if you were offered 10m today or 40m after 5 years hard work.

Not tom,emotion the implied contract of sportspeople that they are trying - view it as any other 'turn up Aand get paid' job and the whole sports industry comes crashing down - I suspect there wouldn't be many level heads around telling Albion fans that they're perfectly within their rights to do so if the whole Albion squad had the attitude that Tomic does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here