Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Defensive/Set Pieces Frailities

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
The statistics for goals conceded at set pieces, and corners particulary, are frightening and can be the factor which can relegate us.

Does anyone have a clear idea where the problem lies ?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
1. Some of our players give the impression that they lack the physical courage to attack the ball. Propper today and against Tottenham, for example, Bruno on several occasions. Determination to get your head to it first and bravery are essential when defending the high ball. Yes, you might get your nose broken or lose some teeth. It's a rough game.

2. Concentration. Stay with your man and either block his run or go with him and get there first - as nobody did with Evans today.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't pack the six yard area with so many players that they get in each other's way - or block a clearance because they're in the way.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Watching on a stream from Bein Sports, I think it was, and the summariser, I dont know it was, but he said on each corner how do Brighton expect to win the ball none of the players are watching the ball they are all watching other players running around. Watch the ball and judge when to attack it. Seems a good starting point.

Dec 29, 2011
We should try and play them offside more from corners, I just can't understand why hughton doesn't see this. If the normal doesn't work, go for the ridiculous.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You learn how to defend corners on the training ground. Issue is therefore with Hughton.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
You learn how to defend corners on the training ground. Issue is therefore with Hughton.

Hire in a forward line that can score from corners in order to teach them how to defend. Not much point them defending from our forward line as we will never score from a corner

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Hire in a forward line that can score from corners in order to teach them how to defend. Not much point them defending from our forward line as we will never score from a corner

I presume that Hunemeier and Goldson are in the attacking team when we practise defending set plays - neither of whom are particularly a threat.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We conceded 50% more corners and nearly 100% more free kicks than the Baggies yesterday. Not sodding rocket science that if you give oppo more set piece chances then you are going to concede more set piece goals. You concede less set pieces by controlling the ball better and that means the midfield keeping it and defenders not pumping aimless long balls

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We conceded 50% more corners and nearly 100% more free kicks than the Baggies yesterday. Not sodding rocket science that if you give oppo more set piece chances then you are going to concede more set piece goals. You concede less set pieces by controlling the ball better and that means the midfield keeping it and defenders not pumping aimless long balls

We do give away a lot of corners, so law of averages says we are going to concede from them.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
The commentator on my stream yesterday made it abundantly clear that at corners we are watching the players and not the ball trying to stop runs etc instead of actually defending the ball and trying to prevent the ball reaching the attackers which is clearly what we should be doing

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The commentator on my stream yesterday made it abundantly clear that at corners we are watching the players and not the ball trying to stop runs etc instead of actually defending the ball and trying to prevent the ball reaching the attackers which is clearly what we should be doing

Bruno's not usually just watching the players - but quite often manhandling them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here