Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] West Bromwich Albion vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
678.png
703.png

West Brom v Brighton

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The Hawthorns
Date: Saturday 13th January 2018
Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Referee: Martin Atkinson
Assistants: Steve Child, Adrian Holmes
Fourth official: Tony Harrington

TEAM NEWS

West Brom trio Jonny Evans, Kieran Gibbs and Matt Phillips are all available after overcoming respective foot, muscle and hamstring problems.

James Morrison and Nacer Chadli both remain on the sidelines.

Brighton's on-loan midfielder Izzy Brown suffered a season-ending knee injury in Monday's FA Cup win over Crystal Palace.

Steve Sidwell, who has not played this season because of a back problem, has injured his ankle in training.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Conor McNamara: "West Brom are already associated with a special moment in Brighton's campaign; the newly-promoted side's first win back in the top flight came against them.

"Chris Hughton's side look comfy now in 12th place, but zoom in to the points column and Brighton are only three points above the relegation zone and very much in a battle to stay up.

"West Brom were the original 'Great Escape' club. They may need to summon the spirit of 2005 when - never mind being bottom at Christmas - they were bottom for much of the season's final afternoon before miraculously surviving.

"It is 20 league games since the Baggies last won, and almost half of that run has been under Alan Pardew."

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

West Brom head coach Alan Pardew: "I really like this group of players. I'm doing everything I can to put ideas and thoughts into their heads because I want them to do well.

"What Chris has done at Brighton is nothing short of amazing. They've had a good season and it won't be easy to break them down."

Brighton manager Chris Hughton: "The most important results for us will be against the teams around us, and what we know is that top group of teams won't affect us as much.

"[West Brom] is an opportunity, but every game is - each time you look ahead they're big games.

"It's difficult to talk about upcoming periods in isolation because every game is a big one and a challenge and we know we'll have to be at a level to get a result."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]West Brom have never lost at home to Brighton in nine previous matches, winning five of those games.
    [*=left]However, Brighton have won three of their last four meetings.
    [*=left]Each of the last three encounters have been won 3-1 by the home side.

West Brom

• [*=left]West Brom are enduring a club record winless run of 20 league matches, losing 10 of them.
    [*=left]The Baggies have won only two of their last 31 Premier League fixtures, whilst Alan Pardew has won just one of his last 19 top-flight games as a manager.
    [*=left]Albion have scored just five league goals in eight league games under Pardew.
    [*=left]The Baggies have drawn a league-high 10 matches in 2017-18; Brighton have the joint-second highest tally of eight.
    [*=left]If selected, Gareth McAuley will become just the fourth West Brom player to appear in 200 Premier League games and only the eighth Northern Irishman to do so.
    [*=left]Pardew is unbeaten in all four Premier League games as a manager against Chris Hughton, winning twice.

Brighton

• [*=left]Brighton have won just one of their last 11 league fixtures (D5, L5).
    [*=left]They have failed to score in a league-high eight away matches, and are without a goal in each of their last five on the road since Glenn Murray's winner at Swansea in November.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have scored five away goals, the fewest in the division, yet they boast the sixth best away defensive record.
    [*=left]Brighton could complete their first top-flight league double since beating Wolves home and away in 1981-82.
    [*=left]The next goal scored by Brighton will be their 200th in the top flight.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
Heading up to the Hawthorns with my son for his first ever proper away game (we went to Spurs but were sat in the home tourists section in silence, so that didn't really count).

I'm not sure which of us is the most excited. As Chris says, this really should be an opportunity to take points off a direct rival and I would love that first Premier League double to happen today. Currently I have very high hopes.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
A rare 'local' game for me, rather than the usual 310 mile trip to the Amex! Son came up from London by train last night so it's brunch in Stratford-upon-Avon for both of us followed by a direct train to the Hawthorns. Very excited about this one. It's essentially a must win game for us so I really hope we don't sit back and go for it. 2-1 to THE Albion:albion2: An away win at a relegation rival would be a huge fillip to the club and fans. Hope you all have a safe journey up:thumbsup:

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
All Virgin & London mainline local trains stopped after incident at Tile Hill. (Coventry)
Hope it doesn't effect fans' journey

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
[QUOTE West Brom have never lost at home to Brighton in nine previous matches, winning five of those games.
[/QUOTE]

Nonsense.

22 Sep 1976 West Bromwich Albion v Brighton and Hove Albion L 0-2 League Cup.

PG

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
picking up the 10.13 out of Euston at Leighton Buzzard, headed for The Old Contemptibles close to Snow Hill before the game and a few city centre ale houses after. Should be some #dcfc fans in town for some banter.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just left Euston.........

And a announcement asking everyone to behave ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Typical Albion game, go to a team that hasn't won for ages and we put up a spineless , negative performance and gift them 3 points.

That does happen too often unfortunately, hopefully not today. Have they got a striker that is on a record goal drought because if they have he is also guaranteed to score today :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
All Virgin & London mainline local trains stopped after incident at Tile Hill. (Coventry)
Hope it doesn't effect fans' journey

Fear not just approaching Birmingham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here