Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The history of the Albion Cup

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 8, 2005
There is a small trophy in the Albion trophy cabinet called the Albion Cup. No one is quite sure who produced it but it has transferred from club to club much like the Ashes. The holding club retains the trophy all the time they remain undefeated against the other Albions.

It was first won by the Seagulls on the 22nd September 1976 when they beat West Brom 2-0 at the Hawthorns in the League Cup - a Peter Ward brace.

However this was short lived and West Brom took the trophy back in August 1980 when they won 2-1 at the Goldstone.

The trophy remained at the Hawthorns until 1986 despite Brighton trying on 7 occasions to win back the trophy but 3 draws and 3 losses in the old first division plus a defeat in the full members cup in 1985 saw West Brom retain the trophy for just short of six years.

The glorious moment that the Albion Cup returned back to Sussex for the second time was in 1986, the 20th September when a 2-0 win for the Seagulls saw off West Brom at the Goldstone and gave Brighton the trophy.

However this was a short lived visit to the South Coast and two years later the Albion Cup headed back to the Midlands after West Brom won 1-0 at the Goldstone on 21st September 1988 in the old second division (the Championship to you young'uns). The Seagulls had only stayed unbeaten for one game between the sides before this.

4 matches between the sides followed with 3 losses and a draw before Brighton finally took the trophy back again on the 20th March 1991 with a 2-0 win at the Goldstone in the old second division. A season that saw us reach Wembley in the play offs, but the only trophy won was the Albion Cup!

Again though Brighton's grip on the trophy was relatively short lived as a 3-1 reverse at West Brom on the 3rd April 1993 sent the Albion Cup back to the Hawthorns where it stayed for a very long time.

The respective fortunes of the different Albions meant that the cup was not fought over for a further 14 years until this season when as we all know a Gross master class saw the Seagulls win 3-1 at the AMEX. I am unsure whether the West Brom chairman presented the trophy immediately to Tony Bloom, or it was sent in the post, but I suspect they didn't expect to lose so it may have been the latter!

As a footnote to this, Burton Albion have never competed in the Albion Cup - on the three occasions that they played Brighton and Hove Albion, Brighton were not the cup holders, and anyway we thumped them all three times. Burton Albion have never played West Bromwich Albion in a competitive fixture.

On four of the seven occasions that the trophy has changed hands the fixture was played in September. The trophy has never changed hands in January.

Since the first game in 1976 the trophy has spent 35 years at the Hawthorns and just 6 years on the South Coast. Was September 2017 the beginning of a new dawn in the club's history of the Albion Cup or are we giving it back tomorrow?

Last edited:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
So whoever holds the cup is The REAL ALBION. That's so cool. We are the cup holders (atm) and highest Albion in The English football pyramid. WE ARE ALBION. :albion2:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
So whoever holds the cup is The REAL ALBION. That's so cool. We are the cup holders (atm) and highest Albion in The English football pyramid. WE ARE ALBION. :albion2:

Exactly this, and we haven’t been able to say that very often!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It was first won by West Bromwich Albion on the 22nd September 1976 when they beat Brighton and Hove Albion 2-0 at the Hawthorns in the league cup.

:dunce: If you are going to post a wind up, at least get the basic facts right

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005

Don’t blame me, blame Mike Bamber who reputedly instigated this.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Don’t blame me, blame Mike Bamber who reputedly instigated this.

Mike Bamber made us lose at WBA rather than win 2-0 with both goals by Peter Ward. I've heard of North Korea and Stalinist history revision but Bamber rewriting the result of one of Brightons greatest cup wins?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005

Edited now. Head in hands, I messed up on my first post. Good spot. Were you there to see us the lift the cup for the first time?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Unfortunately not allowed to skip school.

My first visit was the 2-2 draw in 1979

Did you get to any of the league cup run that season? I was only five so don’t remember it sadly.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Interesting, wasn't aware of this. Also nice to have a cup that the elite clubs have never won and never will.

If only there was a europa league spot available to the holders :lolol:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Did you get to any of the league cup run that season? I was only five so don’t remember it sadly.

Only the home Southend First round and the replay against Ipswich. I missed the Derby home tie as I was in hospital which was really annoying as I had been looking forward to that. Over 40 years ago and still waiting for another lengthy League Cup run.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
Only the home Southend First round and the replay against Ipswich. I missed the Derby home tie as I was in hospital which was really annoying as I had been looking forward to that. Over 40 years ago and still waiting for another lengthy League Cup run.

Sadly I don’t see it happening any time soon. Can’t remember the last time we took the league cup seriously. The Leicester Stuart Munday/Kurt Nogan season maybe?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Sadly I don’t see it happening any time soon. Can’t remember the last time we took the league cup seriously. The Leicester Stuart Munday/Kurt Nogan season maybe?

That was probably the last. Lost count of the number of seasons where we go out in our first game

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
That was probably the last. Lost count of the number of seasons where we go out in our first game

The Man Utd encounter may have been afterwards actually. 1993?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What happens is Burton, Brighton or the Baggies play Stirling Albion - do they do join this clique

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Edited now. Head in hands, I messed up on my first post. Good spot. Were you there to see us the lift the cup for the first time?

I was at the Hawthorns that night - one of the most memorable away victories I’ve witnessed. They were 2 divisions above us and we murdered them. I don’t remember anything about an “Albion cup” on that night or since. - but thanks to those in this thread who have better memories than me.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
What happens is Burton, Brighton or the Baggies play Stirling Albion - do they do join this clique

Or Albion Rovers. Burton Albion played us at a time when we didn’t hold the cup otherwise they could have snatched it and possibly for good if we never played again! A Scottish team would have to get into Europe to play us as friendlies don’t count.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I was at the Hawthorns that night - one of the most memorable away victories I’ve witnessed. They were 2 divisions above us and we murdered them. I don’t remember anything about an “Albion cup” on that night or since. - but thanks to those in this thread who have better memories than me.

‘Twas indeed a great night and although we were superb in attack that night I still remember Grummit pulling off a couple of great saves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here