Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Watching Sky in another room without Multi-room

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Any know the best way to do this?

Not bothered about being able to watch different channels so paying for multiroom seems a bit of a waste. I currently have an Sky+HD box and i want to be able to watch it in kitchen as have just put up a new TV.

Research seems to suggest a 'Sky Eye' but that needs cabling - I want do it wirelessly if possible.

Over to NSC.....

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I also have Sky Go on my iPad but I understand that wont let you display it on a TV screen - unless anyone knows a way round this?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Any know the best way to do this?

Not bothered about being able to watch different channels so paying for multiroom seems a bit of a waste. I currently have an Sky+HD box and i want to be able to watch it in kitchen as have just put up a new TV.

Research seems to suggest a 'Sky Eye' but that needs cabling - I want do it wirelessly if possible.

Over to NSC.....

This maybe helpful AEI Digisender

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I have a coax wired connection... and use an HDMI splitter, and a whizzy box to translate that into a Freeview HD channel which is broadcast down the coax cable (it actually goes out to all of the other TVs in the house via a coax amplifier). Gives me HD Sky in all rooms (obviously only showing what it active on the main Sky box).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Do you have a tablet or laptop ? Sky Go is my modus operandi. Works a peach, specially for taking out into the garden in the summer.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
If you want it wireless on your TV, you might be best looking at Sky Q.

I have a standard Sky HD box and then use the RF2 port on the back to send the sky channels around the house via an analogue signal through Coax. Works fine but you don't get HD and the quality isn't great but is watchable. This allows using a magic eye for channel changing but you don't really need that these days as you can change channel from the sky+ app on your phone.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes he does - he mentioned it 3 posts ago. But you can't chromecast that onto TV (I don't think?)

Dunno about chromecast.

When I've wanted Sky Go on another TV though (for a bigger screen), I've just run it through my laptop, and connected it up via a HDMI cable. Straightforward enough.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I have a coax wired connection... and use an HDMI splitter, and a whizzy box to translate that into a Freeview HD channel which is broadcast down the coax cable (it actually goes out to all of the other TVs in the house via a coax amplifier). Gives me HD Sky in all rooms (obviously only showing what it active on the main Sky box).

This seems like it could be what I'm after. So it wirelessly transmits your Sky box output around your house and is picked up on the other TV's as a freeview DTV channel?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
This seems like it could be what I'm after. So it wirelessly transmits your Sky box output around your house and is picked up on the other TV's as a freeview DTV channel?

Nope... "I have a coax wired connection... "

But it does give you HD rather than just sending the low quality RF2 output from the Sky box around the house (as mentioned by [MENTION=179]tinx[/MENTION]).

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Dunno about chromecast.

When I've wanted Sky Go on another TV though (for a bigger screen), I've just run it through my laptop, and connected it up via a HDMI cable. Straightforward enough.

I have an iPad and you cant do this on that I believe.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
These are what I referred to as the 'Sky Eye' in my op. They look just the ticket but I think they need to be connected by cable, which I am trying to avoid!

Ah ok, apologies. I've got one of these below that I use when I want to watch BT Sport in another room (BT subscription only on one box even though I've got Sky multiroom). Haven't tried it with Sky yet but can't see any reason why it wouldn't work because it just mirrors the app playing on my Ipad. Works very well with BT in HD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cocar-Miracast-Mirroring-Wireless-Projector-2-4G/dp/B06Y452VHP

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Now come on..... if you peeps who pay for Sky would only pay for everything you have and make Sky a nice big fat profit they just might leave us little guys who don't/can't afford their service alone so we can carry on stealing er I mean streaming their content pretty please!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here