Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Family Holiday Destinations

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Where are you going this summer?
Where have you been?
Where do you recommend?

Somewhere by the beach,with a nearby waterpark and theme park?
Somewhere not popular with ISIS or northern Brits?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:thumbsup:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This was about 16 years ago, but I always remember a great holiday with my parents and a mate as a late teenager to Salou in Spain.

PortAventura
Water park was near by
On the coast
Near enough to go see 'proper' bits of Spain but benefit of a decent resort.

May have changed since then but probably the best holiday I had in Europe as a kid

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
This was about 16 years ago, but I always remember a great holiday with my parents and a mate as a late teenager to Salou in Spain.

PortAventura
Water park was near by
On the coast
Near enough to go see 'proper' bits of Spain but benefit of a decent resort.

May have changed since then but probably the best holiday I had in Europe as a kid

:thumbsup:
Went there 2 years ago.Probably the best family destination in Spain as it has it all.
PortAventura the second largest theme park in Europe plus from last year also Ferrari World.
Two water parks.Barcelona an hour away.
Airport just a few minutes away.
Great promenade and busy town centre.
O and plus a great packed sandy beach.

However that area seems to be popular with ISIS given they were in Cambrills last
year which is around 2 miles away.

Last edited:

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Littleun is 11 and we are off to Orlando for 3 weeks this year...our usual holiday is touring Europe on motorbike and sidecar....and bike rallies around the UK at weekends (outside of the footie season of course)...

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Where have you been?
Where do you recommend?

Being a ‘northern Brit’ myself I should probably be offended by your criteria, but if I’m honest, northern brits are half the reason I’ve spent 25 yrs of my adult life on the south coast.

Center Parcs in France are fantastic. Cheaper than UK but still expensive enough to keep the riffraff out. Loads to do wet & dry and some are well within range of beaches. Combine a week at CP with a week in the Alps (best theme park in Europe), Morzine maybe (hot in summer with a huge public lido), with glacial lakes to swim in, alpine roller coaster, and mountain bike trails for all levels. Perfect family holiday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Littleun is 11 and we are off to Orlando for 3 weeks this year...our usual holiday is touring Europe on motorbike and sidecar....and bike rallies around the UK at weekends (outside of the footie season of course)...

Is it your first visit? Fantastic place. Happy to provide any pointers - it's a place where planning ahead of time really does pay dividends.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Where have you been?
Where do you recommend?

How old are the kids?

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Is it your first visit? Fantastic place. Happy to provide any pointers - it's a place where planning ahead of time really does pay dividends.

Yes massive planning seems to be needed for Orlando which puts me off plus I think one theme park after another would kill my feet.
I'd last till the 4th day.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes massive planning seems to be needed for Orlando which puts me off plus I think one theme park after another would kill my feet.
I'd last till the 4th day.

A running family joke is my daughter with her trademark "my feet are killing me" and we've learned how to plan around that. You can do it full on theme park commando mode, but you really don't have to, and that's where planning helps.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This year we'll be doing Woburn Centre Parcs for a week. Did a long weekend last year and the kids absolutely loved it. 8 is the ideal age too, should be tall enough for the water rides and to get a bike of their own. Expensive, likely ISIS free, slight chance of Northerners.

Last year we did Kos in the extended October half term break. Again the kids absolutely loved the resort we were in which had a water park and beach and was all inclusive and dirt cheap. In October the pool and sea are cold though and there are many, many wasps. In summer it can get to over 40 degrees which ain't great.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
With the kids getting a bit older now - they'll be 16 and 13 in the summer - we're going a bit more adventurous and heading for the Moon Palace, in Cancun. Always, ALWAYS wanted to go to Mexico, so I'm bursting with excitement.

As for recommendations from previous holidays, and younger kids, a firm family favourite was Best Tenerife Hotel, in Playa de las Americas, Tenerife. Great value, spot on location, loads to do, tonnes to see, and safe as houses. We literally got back, and booked again for a longer holiday the following year.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
With the kids getting a bit older now - they'll be 16 and 13 in the summer - we're going a bit more adventurous and heading for the Moon Palace, in Cancun. Always, ALWAYS wanted to go to Mexico, so I'm bursting with excitement.

As for recommendations from previous holidays, and younger kids, a firm family favourite was Best Tenerife Hotel, in Playa de las Americas, Tenerife. Great value, spot on location, loads to do, tonnes to see, and safe as houses. We literally got back, and booked again for a longer holiday the following year.

I consider Tenerife every year but end up going elsewhere.I prefer the beach to the hotel pool and am not convinced by the beaches over there.Plus have been told it gets quite windy which is a pain on the beach and plus it seems to be full of Brits.When I went to Salou there were not that many.Siam Park is a big reason for going however.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
February half-term we're off to Marrakesh and Easter we have planned a 2wk roadtrip round California (well, LA-San Diego-SF). Our 10yr old is very excited. We've never done "resorts" or package holidays, always much preferred doing it all ourselves - half the fun is in the planning, renting villas/cottages/cars and having the freedom to go where we want, when we want and not having to put up with anyone else.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I consider Tenerife every year but end up going elsewhere.I prefer the beach to the hotel pool and am not convinced by the beaches over there.Plus have been told it gets quite windy which is a pain on the beach and plus it seems to be full of Brits.When I went to Salou there were not that many.Siam Park is a big reason for going however.

Difficult to say as we are pool over beach every time. But I did go to that part of Tenerife (Los Cristianos) as a teenager, and my dad was always beach / beach / beach and I remember the beach there being lovely.

The Vendee region of France has done us from tot to teens for many years and the girls still look forward to going there. Off again in the Summer for (I think) the 12th year.

Ticks boxes regarding water parks, beaches and other items of interests and you will also be able to visit Puy du Fou - a theme park experience like no other, and visit the Ile de Re, make a fuss of the donkeys there and eat the fab ice creams. You may even spot the street that features in "Two Professors" postings!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Cabopino Costa Del Sol.
Nice small place, beach, restaurants with good food and family type places.
Loads of kids playing safely at night.
Close to Marbella, short trip to great water park at Fuengirola.
Closeish to airport, loads of flights to Malaga.
There are lots of villas and a few hotels, one right by the harbour is very nice.
The kids seemed to love it there and it changed my view on the Costa Del Sol although Cabapino is the only place I would go to apart from Malaga.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here