Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR and goal celebrations

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Quite often when we score, especially at home, we get a mass bundle of most of the team with Ryan on the top. When VAR is in action how dangerous will this be. The ref could get a call from Heathrow saying the goal was offside, the opposing team could then take a quick freekick and have almost no players to stop them walking the ball into our net.

I can remember a game once upon a time I was at when we scored and it was disallowed but half the team were still celebrating when the other team was attacking again, can't remember when or where that was.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I can remember a game once upon a time I was at when we scored and it was disallowed but half the team were still celebrating when the other team was attacking again, can't remember when or where that was.
Think it was an England game against Portugal after Sol Campbell "scored".

Edit: It was Argeninta in 1998

[yt]-O-lpT-b2g4[/yt]

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Think it was an England game against Portugal after Sol Campbell "scored".

Argentina I think. **** all wrong with that goal too!

Edit - it seems there was one against Portugal too, thanks to google!

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
They cant kick off as long as the players stay in their half while celebrating.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Quite often when we score, especially at home, we get a mass bundle of most of the team with Ryan on the top. When VAR is in action how dangerous will this be. The ref could get a call from Heathrow saying the goal was offside, the opposing team could then take a quick freekick and have almost no players to stop them walking the ball into our net.

The only person who can change the decision is the on field referee. Therefore if there was a feed into him saying that the goal looked offside, he would have to go pitchside to review the replay himself before changing his original on field decision, Therefore the change of the team still celebrating is zero.

Thread closed.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The only person who can change the decision is the on field referee. Therefore if there was a feed into him saying that the goal looked offside, he would have to go pitchside to review the replay himself before changing his original on field decision, Therefore the change of the team still celebrating is zero.

Thread closed.

Ah so he can't just hear the voice saying "offside, no goal" and immediately award a free kick, yep thread closed

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea

Thread closed.

Not true. If it's clearly offside, the VAR will inform the ref that it was offside, and therefore to retract his goal. This is not objective, it is either offside or not, and therefore no reason for the actual ref to have to check on the monitor - would be another matter if there was a foul in the build up though.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

The way things are going with referees being pretty strict and all, probably find that half the team would get booked for over celebrating.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Not true. If it's clearly offside, the VAR will inform the ref that it was offside, and therefore to retract his goal. This is not objective, it is either offside or not, and therefore no reason for the actual ref to have to check on the monitor - would be another matter if there was a foul in the build up though.

If it was clearly offside, the ref or linesman would know without this damned VAR thing.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
If it was clearly offside, the ref or linesman would know without this damned VAR thing.

Yes but if you see what BT Sports showed for Murray's goal upon the discussions after the game, you will see what I mean - they always check for offside etc for every goal, and if it was, but not picked up by ref/linesman, they'd tell the ref about it.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Yes but if you see what BT Sports showed for Murray's goal upon the discussions after the game, you will see what I mean - they always check for offside etc for every goal, and if it was, but not picked up by ref/linesman, they'd tell the ref about it.

Yes but the decision remains with the on field ref, only he can change the decision. The ref would want to do the pitch side check before making such a crucial change so plenty of time to stop celebrating.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Yes but the decision remains with the on field ref, only he can change the decision. The ref would want to do the pitch side check before making such a crucial change so plenty of time to stop celebrating.

Yes, you're correct, only the onfield ref can make the call, however if the VAR has said to the ref it is offside, it's going to be offside, and the rules start that the onfield ref would (shouldn't) check the screen for that, as it's not objective - like a foul to one person is a foul, to another it's not (in some cases anyway)...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here