Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] R.I.P. Dick Slexia of The Piranhas

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I went up for the TOTP recording when Tom Hark charted. Dick played the drums with two large plastic fish for some reason. A happy memory, sad news. Always thought they were a band that should/could have done more but were perhaps pigeonholed by having their first proper hit seen as a party/novelty song (though it actually wasn't)

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Not another gone. :( Loved the Piranhas back in the day.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I went up for the TOTP recording when Tom Hark charted. Dick played the drums with two large plastic fish for some reason. A happy memory, sad news. Always thought they were a band that should/could have done more but were perhaps pigeonholed by having their first proper hit seen as a party/novelty song (though it actually wasn't)

And the music biz tended to regard all Brighton bands the same way. I was in one happening beat combo at the time and we used the keyboard player's girlfriend's London office as our contact address so that we wouldn't immediately be dismissed as a Brighton novelty band.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Very sad. The summer of 77 was brilliant, with repeated Piranhas gigs at the Alhambra, supported by Blues Jim; The Dandys also played there a lot. R.I.P.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I remember this. I was very young when I got into the Piranhas so never saw the live. I did own Jilly/Coloured Vinyl and Space Invaders on 7” though, and I still have a Vaultage 78 or 79 album in storage.

RIP.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Piranhas.jpg

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions