Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Insomnia

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Its a b1tch isnt it. Any one get it? When you are lying in bed at 2 thinking I should be asleep, ah it will be ok, Cant shut down or get in the zone, try every combination of pillows duvets and lying down positions 5 hours till the alarm goes off then alarm goes off and you havent slept a wink. GRRRRR :yawn::yawn::yawn::(

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Not sure about insomnia, but I have a problem where I just don't get enough sleep.
I average about 5 hours and that is restless according to Mrs OzMike.
I often feel tired during the day and lose a bit of concentration.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I don't have insomnia but do lay in bed thinking a lot when I should be sleeping.

Start getting angry and frustrated and clock watching which starts the spiral.

Having a 3 year old that still won't sleep through the night and the constant stress of working full time and loads of overtime to make ends meet whilst studying as a mature student so up late doing coursework most nights after little one eventually gets into bed.

I'm sure there's plenty of us on here suffering similar.

If it's any consolation you learn to deal with it. Especially with kids. And although it doesn't feel like it you do get 20 mins here and there but it doesn't feel like it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Its a b1tch isnt it. Any one get it? When you are lying in bed at 2 thinking I should be asleep, ah it will be ok, Cant shut down or get in the zone, try every combination of pillows duvets and lying down positions 5 hours till the alarm goes off then alarm goes off and you havent slept a wink. GRRRRR :yawn::yawn::yawn::(

If it continues regularly, it can be quite serious in terms of underlying issues that can be causing it, whether worry, stress, anxiety etc. and in turn whether this is leading to a form of depression. Sleep is an escape from everyday life, and when even that escape seems out of reach, it can have a real impact on the mind. As @spongy said, it can start a spiral so as soon as you feel you cannot sleep, you get anxious about not sleeping which isn't going to get you to sleep.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
If it continues regularly, it can be quite serious in terms of underlying issues that can be causing it, whether worry, stress, anxiety etc. and in turn whether this is leading to a form of depression. Sleep is an escape from everyday life, and when even that escape seems out of reach, it can have a real impact on the mind. As @spongy said, it can start a spiral so as soon as you feel you cannot sleep, you get anxious about not sleeping which isn't going to get you to sleep.

It comes and goes and when I get it, I end up needing to sleep in the day, I just cancelled a 10 o clock meeting

I know what the causes are for me and it's not far from what you said, a suffer badly from anxiety stress and indeed depression, when they pop up my sleeping pattern either goes upside down or non existent, I would love a go to sleep switch. Its incredibly frustrating

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I don't have insomnia but do lay in bed thinking a lot when I should be sleeping.

Thats insomnia of sorts is it not? I dont see my kids right now unfortunately which is probably the root cause but ironically yes when they are waking you up in the night/climbing into your (my) bed its broken sleep but at least sleep. I find myself refreshing NSC (which is pretty pointless at stupid o'clock) and going through youtube or something, I hit a point where I know there is not much point trying so just dont bother. I am seeing someone about it but eees complicated

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Typical, I was trying to have a lie in this morning, as on nights tonight.
Bloody typical, I couldn't sleep :nono:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Typical, I was trying to have a lie in this morning, as on nights tonight.
Bloody typical, I couldn't sleep :nono:

see #4

Does that mean you intend to stay up all day then go to work tonight? What kind of jobs switches days to nights midweek, that would likely mess me up a lot, would need sleeping pills or something

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I don't sleep very well and can quite easily doze off in the evening as I'm tired. Once I get to bed though I am wide awake and counting the hours and wishing the night away. But the minute it's time to get up I could sleep all day! If something is on my mind I will get up and write it down to get it out of my mind, and that seems to help. I also get out of bed and come downstairs as I seem to be able to sleep sitting up (maybe I was a horse in a former life!). Agree it's so frustrating not being able to sleep even when really tired.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green

Having a 3 year old that still won't sleep through the night and the constant stress of working full time and loads of overtime to make ends meet whilst studying as a mature student so up late doing coursework most nights after little one eventually gets into bed.

I'm sure there's plenty of us on here suffering similar.

If it's any consolation you learn to deal with it. Especially with kids. And although it doesn't feel like it you do get 20 mins here and there but it doesn't feel like it.

Enjoy it while u can both mine grown up and flown next house feels so empty with regards to sleep as a taxi driver always tired due to mixed hours u never know where u r

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
A couple of times on a work night I've gone to bed around 10pm, woken up around midnight, laid there for a bit, realised I'm getting no more sleep, got up and got dressed and sat at my laptop writing through the night (fiction writing a hobby) drinking coffee then gone to work in the morning. Listening to 6 Music yesterday evening one caller was exactly the same, he'd been awake since midnight and done a full day's work.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Don't really suffer from amnesia but I have a terrible time getting back to sleep if I've woken up. Happened the other day; woke up at 3am desperately thirsty, got up and had a drink and then was wide awake.

Which is why I always have a pint of water by the bed.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I go to bed around 11 and i have 3 sleep patterns;
1. Take half hour to sleep and sleep heavy then wake up between 2 and 3 and very light sleep if any afterwards.
2. Feels like I barely sleep all night.
3. Pissed and can't remember how I slept but i am completely knackered in the morning.

1 is the norm and I can never get up on time as always feel tired.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I really suffer as well. It's one of those things where it doesn't matter how early I go to bed, or how much sleep I've had, I will always feel tired.
Active mind seems to be the worst thing, most nights I lie there with some song from Moana (or whatever the kids are obsessed with) going round and round my head.

I've been trying the following recently:
No coffee / caffeine outside of working hours.
No screen time an hour before bed (reading instead)

Made no noticeable difference so far but a friend has done this and said it's really helped.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
see #4

Does that mean you intend to stay up all day then go to work tonight? What kind of jobs switches days to nights midweek, that would likely mess me up a lot, would need sleeping pills or something

12hr days and 12hr nights, it's a sort of a rolling pattern, which I've been on for 21 yrs. Cannot waste the time during the day, as too many things to do.
Can try and get at least 5 hrs shut eye at work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here