Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glad to win last night ...but.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Happy to beat Palace ? 1983 possible again ? Cup final and demoted ?

Away to Middlesborough four days before winnable trip to Southampton.....How pleased are you we are in next round?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

Away to Middlesborough four days before winnable trip to Southampton.....How pleased are you we are in next round?
It’ll be the reserves again with a sprinkling of the first team. A shit draw yes, but good game time for the likes of Krul, Kayal, Baldock etc.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Over the moon.

Fringe players getting crucial game time.

Feel good factor of a win spreading in the club.

More things to mock the Nigels about

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Good to win, a chance for 2nd string game time, and who knows, they might win!

But yes, Soton is the game we need to focus on most.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Actually whilst these long trips are sh1t for the fans, for the players its a short flight by private jet so not exactly taxing. Getting them to St Mary's will take longer, 4 day gap is OK

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I couldn't give a flying kcuf about the cup game at 'Boro now that we've beaten Palace, and I'd be surprised if CH does either.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
After last night I actually think it might be beneficial to stay in the cup as long as possible for squad reasons as well as the chance to win it. Good for giving players like Krul, Kayal, Goldson Hunnemeir, Baldock et al a run out and not making them stale. Was great to see Sammy B back in the stripes again and Kayal was magnificent.

Why not try and win it? We're a Premier League side now and sodding WIGAN have won it recently.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Bloody delighted we're through to the next round. Chance for a bit of pay-back over 'Boro, another confidence building win, and a chance to get to the 5th. round. Four days until the Southampton game? - so, two winnable games in 5 days. What's not to like?

Plus, there is no requirement - or expectation - for the cup finalists to be relegated. In fact, it's very rare.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It’ll be the reserves again with a sprinkling of the first team. A shit draw yes, but good game time for the likes of Krul, Kayal, Baldock etc.

Agreed about game time.

Not sure what me mean by reserves ? Are Kayal, Hemed, Scheletto, and Bong reserves ? They've all started Prem games in Dec/Jan ?
Hughton rotates the team a lot. Are March, Izquierdo, Bong, Hemed, Stephens reserves ?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
After last night I actually think it might be beneficial to stay in the cup as long as possible for squad reasons as well as the chance to win it. Good for giving players like Krul, Kayal, Goldson Hunnemeir, Baldock et al a run out and not making them stale. Was great to see Sammy B back in the stripes again and Kayal was magnificent.

Why not try and win it? We're a Premier League side now and sodding WIGAN have won it recently.

Agree with this. it's not as if we are putting out the U23s. We currently have some very good players, who may well be required later on in the season, getting very little competitive football at the moment. The cup, and in particular a needle game like Palace, provide much needed match fitness and sharpness.

Baldock, Kayal, BFG and Conor all benefitted from last night's game which can only be a good thing. I really wanted to see these guys on the pitch and ironically the 'reserve team' aspect of the tie was one of its selling points.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm sure that all those fans moaning about the closed shop on away ticket allocation, will already be making their travel plans for this BIG Cup game, so that they acquire some more loyalty points and see the Albion away.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

And Wigan got relegated the same season.

By all means let our second string try to win it, but let's not risk any of the team who will start at Southampton against Boro. Sidwell and Molumby might be ready to start that one, so no need for Kayal, Stephens or Propper to be involved.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It was definitely a morale booster. We scored two goals in a game and had really good chances to score a few more. We are in a relegation battle but it shows we do have some depth and we are right to be hopeful. Murray is a crafty performer. He will score us goals all season.

Whilst we should be optimistic, with what we can afford in fee and wages I doubt if we will be signing a striker who is going to walk into the first team.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great we’re through, really pleased (especially beating that lot). The cup games are like upgraded friendlies - brilliant for getting those on the fringes some game time and match fitness. Baldock, Uwe, Krul, Goldson, Kayal at least will have benefitted hugely from a properly competitive run out, which has very positive implications in terms of both options and ready backup. CH must be delighted. Only downside was the injury to Brown, but with Sam looking lively, sure he’ll be going back to Chelsea, leaving a possible loan berth open.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Agreed about game time.

Not sure what me mean by reserves ? Are Kayal, Hemed, Scheletto, and Bong reserves ? They've all started Prem games in Dec/Jan ?
Hughton rotates the team a lot. Are March, Izquierdo, Bong, Hemed, Stephens reserves ?

Most of the players who played last night you would consider reserve players for me. Apart from Bong, Stephens and Izquierdo, I would say all the others have had fairly limited game time in the Prem or would not be in Hughton's preffered starting 11 currently. March maybe arguable either way but very telling that Knockaert was given a rest, still obviously number 1 in Hughton's eyes.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Most of the players who played last night you would consider reserve players for me. Apart from Bong, Stephens and Izquierdo, I would say all the others have had fairly limited game time in the Prem or would not be in Hughton's preffered starting 11 currently. March maybe arguable either way but very telling that Knockaert was given a rest, still obviously number 1 in Hughton's eyes.

Not most. Uwe or Goldson definitely, Kayal has had limited time until recently because of injury. but Hemed, Scheletto, Bong, Izquierdo and March have had multiple starts this season. And Stephens has been an ever present. Hughton , especially in Dec, has started to rotate his squad frequently so that the preferred 11 has become difficult to discern.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Nah, hughton wouldn't let that happen...Melia didn't have the clout or skill to stop the slide in 83... his remit was to keep the Wembley run going which he did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here