Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Baldock thoughts and questions in light of last night?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
We actually looked liked we had an attacking line last night!

Much the same as the Champ, intelligent runs that stretches defences.

Does CH play tactically to defensive putting another midfielder in?

Does CH not trust Sam at this level, or does he not trust his midfield getting over run without the extra man?

I think he could impact a game at this level given the chance!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Offered runs that our other strikers do not, really liked the look of him last night. For me he should be used to replace a tiring Gross with 20 left to play.

Last edited:

Loved his runs but boy did he do very little when he received the ball. Rustiness tho I think, much prefer to see him out there than Hemed, who had a shocker for me, the ball eternally pinbalking back off him to the Palace midfield

HASSOCKS-BHA

Jun 11, 2012
We actually looked liked we had an attacking line last night!

Much the same as the Champ, intelligent runs that stretches defences.

Does CH play tactically to defensive putting another midfielder in?

Does CH not trust Sam at this level, or does he not trust his midfield getting over run without the extra man?

I think he could impact a game at this level given the chance!

Had a great chance to prove himself last night with the opportunity late on but fluffed his lines. A better option than Hemed though IMHO.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Sammy did well but was clearly lacking confidence and match sharpness.

There also seemed to be a reluctance from midfield to find him in the channels on occasions. It was refreshing to see a different formation and a different style of chance creation.

The two clear chances he had ended with decent efforts on goal.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Looked rusty, understandably, but in the absence of the big black powerhouse speed machine that we’re going to buy “allegedly” he offers something different. A striker who has the pace and instinct to run behind defenders.

Defiantly worth a place on the bench especially if we’re behind and need to go to a plan B “go for it 442” set up.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He's the type of striker we need to bring in to give us a different option, but he himself doesn't have the quality on the ball to be a real threat this level.

He did well last night, he was unlucky to hit the post and then totally fluffed the through ball which is what we've come to expect from watching him for years. There's no question that Gross should be starting every game and all the time we don't have a better option, he should be considered the next best variation up front now Brown is injured.

Personally, I would end Brown's loan and look to bring in a new striker either to play as the central striker or just in behind to give Gross serious competition without reducing the quality of the team.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
One of the biggest positives for me last night was SB... He was entitled to look a little rusty given his long absence but I thought that the 85 minutes + he was on the pitch showed plenty of promise and his match fitness and sharpness will only get better.

I think he has a part to play and will have a big say in our survival chances - offering something slightly different to what we’ve seen so far.. More so now with the Brown injury, the timing of his return is good...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the thing is to play Baldock don't you have to remove Gross from the side ?.....

possibly or get creative. replace for one winger - it doesnt matter which much im sure Gross can play either side, and be a bit narrow/lopsided. simply not relying on midfield pushing ball wide for crosses, will at the very least mix up our somwhat predictable tactic. 4-2-4 in attack, 4-5-1 in defense.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
One of the biggest positives for me last night was SB... He was entitled to look a little rusty given his long absence but I thought that the 85 minutes + he was on the pitch showed plenty of promise and his match fitness and sharpness will only get better.

I think he has a part to play and will have a big say in our survival chances - offering something slightly different to what we’ve seen so far.. More so now with the Brown injury, the timing of his return is good...

Agree with this. Apart from his shanked miss I thought he looked up for it, motivated and increasingly dangerous. A real plus for team selection going forward.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Looked decent enough when consider the rustiness.

Can make an impact at this level but the problem will always be keeping him injury free.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think CH worries about us being overwhelmed with a 2 man midfield, which to be fair is probably correct. However, we looked far better in possession as we had options to pass forward. I think it must be tough being in our CM with no out ball over the top and with our wingers wanting to come inside which also narrows the play. If you cant hit Gross or Murray to feet what do you have left? It shows that if we can get the right forward in, we will look a better side all across the pitch.

SpongebobSquarepants

Jun 16, 2006
Sunny Worthing
Strange to see Baldock being castigated for missing with a shot outside the box, but Kayal getting plautitudes despite an absolutely appaling miss which would (and should) have killed the game.

I thought they both had good games and great to see them both back.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Absolutely what he said!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here