Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'Reserve' Team Football - time for a tweak?

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
This weekend, the vast majority of Prem and Championship teams are using the cup to give fringe players a run out, many of whom have hardly played a competitive game since the start of the season, and I am sure tonight Brighton will be doing the same.

Got to wondering why there isn’t consideration to allocating a limited number – say six – reserve i.e under 23 matches where you can if you choose to play as many of your 25 man Premier League Squad as you desire?

You could set dates (around the cup competitions etc) or just give managers carte blanche. Clearly if your League and FA Cups overrunneth you won’t need or want to, but, if like the majority that option seems to tail off pretty quickly, it allows back up partnerships to be developed in a competitive environment, players to be given a competitive airing and hopefully helping them hit their stride in league matches.

Its’ not like winning that under 23 league is deemed important by the clubs (they wouldn't loan out so many players if it was a priority), and if I recall it was introduced as a development, and if your team of kids come up against an experienced line-up then that will only help with their development (and save you incurring the wrath of League 1 and 2 in the Checkatrade.)

I know we hardly utilise the current three spaces available to overage players, but, no one here could ever accuse the majority our squad of being wage thieves, they are keen to play and I just thought it might be worth having a discussion about.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
That won’t help. Clubs are playing reserves to rest their top players, not to give their reserves game time. The only way to ensure teams play their top players in Cup completions is to either enforce it using some sort of rule, considerably increase the prize money (20 times what it is now), or to lower the amount of league games played throughout the season.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Most play behind closed doors

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here