Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Big Brother 1st World problems

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A couple of strange incidents happened this weekend.

My prospective son in law and my daughter were down and we were discussing wine as you do. He said that there was this really good wine app on the iphone that you scan the label and it will show you the wine and people's ratings. I happened to be looking at my iphone about 10 minutes later and I noticed a message saying did I want to load an app...it was the bloody wine app that we had been talking about!!!

next we were at the bother in laws and he was bought a Google alexa version thing that he has linked up around the house to various speakers etc....anyway we were talking about the brighton/palace match and it suddenly broke into the conversation and told us that the game was on Monday at 17:45 and there were still tickets available !!!!!

Seemly they listen to your conversations now! he was saying that they have programmed it to recognise voices and his wife can ask it about her calendar and it will tell her what she is doing and then he asks the same question straight after and it knows it is him and tells him what he is doing!!

This is all a bit Orwellian isn't it. I do like the way it will play whatever type of music you want...the apple version coming out is $350 in the US at the moment...which is a bit steep!!

Has anyone else had this or is it an old person thing?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
peoplein-thesixties-better-not-say-that-or-the-governmentwill-wiretap-24983486.png

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Millions of '1st World' people love to bug their own homes. If it wasn't the case then sales of these Alexa thingies and what not wouldn't be on the increase. Make of that what you will.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've got an Echo (Alexa) and I have found it to be a bit twitchy in terms of what it recognises as the 'wake' word.

As I understand it the device dedicates a small portion of its power to just listening for the word 'Alexa' and isn't just listening to the general conversations or noise of the house. However it's definitely woken up when I've said something that its construed as 'Alexa'.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

My prospective son in law and my daughter were down and we were discussing wine as you do. He said that there was this really good wine app on the iphone that you scan the label and it will show you the wine and people's ratings. I happened to be looking at my iphone about 10 minutes later and I noticed a message saying did I want to load an app...it was the bloody wine app that we had been talking about!!!

next we were at the bother in laws and he was bought a Google alexa version thing that he has linked up around the house to various speakers etc....anyway we were talking about the brighton/palace match and it suddenly broke into the conversation and told us that the game was on Monday at 17:45 and there were still tickets available !!!!!

Seemly they listen to your conversations now! he was saying that they have programmed it to recognise voices and his wife can ask it about her calendar and it will tell her what she is doing and then he asks the same question straight after and it knows it is him and tells him what he is doing!!

This is all a bit Orwellian isn't it. I do like the way it will play whatever type of music you want...the apple version coming out is $350 in the US at the moment...which is a bit steep!!

Is the wine app any good?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've got an Echo (Alexa) and I have found it to be a bit twitchy in terms of what it recognises as the 'wake' word.

As I understand it the device dedicates a small portion of its power to just listening for the word 'Alexa' and isn't just listening to the general conversations or noise of the house. However it's definitely woken up when I've said something that its construed as 'Alexa'.

Mine keeps waking up whenever I've got an Arsenal game on TV and someone says "Alexis Sanchez"

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Had a strange one recently,
I was waiting at Worthing crossings, and got chatting to a woman I had vaguely noticed in the pub I had just left.
We only exchanged first names, a cigarette and a bit of chat, but strangely enough when I logged on to facebook the next day, she was right at the front of suggested friends, despite having never met her before that, and had no mutual friends.

Obviously she told me to do one, and called me pest, when I tried to contact her..........:blush::blush::blush::blush:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ssssh, they've got Alexa playing for them.

lionel-messi-luis-suarez-barcelona-champions-league-05112014_33f21nusoz3d12rgrcey8bgh2-1080x608.jpeg

Yoda

English & European
Had a strange one recently,
I was waiting at Worthing crossings, and got chatting to a woman I had vaguely noticed in the pub I had just left.
We only exchanged first names, a cigarette and a bit of chat, but strangely enough when I logged on to facebook the next day, she was right at the front of suggested friends, despite having never met her before that, and had no mutual friends.

Obviously she told me to do one, and called me pest, when I tried to contact her..........:blush::blush::blush::blush:

Your Facebook apps probably picked up you were in the same location as her. That's all.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

If that machine told you the game was at 17:45 I would be demanding my money back its totally useless.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here