Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Walking around Brighton & Hove and the surrounding area...

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
As part of the attempting to get fit new year, I'm looking to take up a bit of walking... I'm not the fittest as I sit on my arse all week for work so looking to get a bit of walking in for starters before anything more strenuous, one step at a time and all that!

Can anyone recommend some decent routes to walk with some nice views to keep me occupied? Starting off at say an hour and progressively upwards for down the line?...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As part of the attempting to get fit new year, I'm looking to take up a bit of walking... I'm not the fittest as I sit on my arse all week for work so looking to get a bit of walking in for starters before anything more strenuous, one step at a time and all that!

Can anyone recommend some decent routes to walk with some nice views to keep me occupied? Starting off at say an hour and progressively upwards for down the line?...

South Downs Way.....loads of car parks along it (start with one of maybe Devils Dyke, Saddlescombe Farm, layby at Botolphs, Jack and Jill Windmills at Clayton, Ditchling Beacon perhaps ?) just park up, walk one way for half the time you want to walk and then turn around. Mostly ok underfoot, well signposted and great views.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Depends where you live really. Urban scenery can be just as captivating as rural.

I work in the harbour at Portslade and walk back to Queens Park many an evening. I walk from the office along the beach path from the far end of the lagoon to Palace Pier. That's about 3 miles with just under a mile added for Queens Park.

Which ward are you in ?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Surrenden Road area/Preston Park, the area between Hove Park and Dyke Road to look at posh houses, Westdene is nice but hilly so maybe for a bit down the road, as it were.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
3 corner copse from hove park to dyke road & back isnt bad for not leaving town

Stanmer park too is easy

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010

Clippedgulls idea is a good one but it's more than an hour. The pier to Asda in the marina and back to the pier is 3 miles so should take an hour. You can extend the walk west of the pier when you feel ready.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
On Monday afternoon wear dark attire and the police will give you a guided tour of brightons finest sights for a hour and a half .

D

Deleted User X18H

Walk up the Drove mate. Then continue east to Hove Park and retrace your steps when you used to leave the Goldstone. Or south towards central Brighton.

You could town hop along Dyke Road and stroll towards the i360.

Also following the route of the old Kemp Town railway is an interesting one.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
South Downs Way.....loads of car parks along it (start with one of maybe Devils Dyke, Saddlescombe Farm, layby at Botolphs, Jack and Jill Windmills at Clayton, Ditchling Beacon perhaps ?) just park up, walk one way for half the time you want to walk and then turn around. Mostly ok underfoot, well signposted and great views.

Have you ever actually been on the South Downs Way? :lolol::lolol:

Up at Dyke a few times around Christmas and getting through the gates was messy, shoe off in mud sort of stuff but worth it. Brilliant to have such beauty on our doorstep.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Walk up the Drove mate. Then continue east to Hove Park and retrace your steps when you used to leave the Goldstone. Or south towards central Brighton.

You could town hop along Dyke Road and stroll towards the i360.

Also following the route of the old Kemp Town railway is an interesting one.

What is the railway route?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Walking around Brighton & Hove and the surrounding area...

Have you ever actually been on the South Downs Way? :lolol::lolol:

Up at Dyke a few times around Christmas and getting through the gates was messy, shoe off in mud sort of stuff but worth it. Brilliant to have such beauty on our doorstep.

Once or twice.....[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]....and if you think the SDW is muddy, here’s one from Brown Willy a few days ago.....

c8f40c7b6d367fc2662ced6345f4d6b4.jpg

Last edited:

el punal

Try walking from, say, Brighton station to the Amex and back on a daily basis. The benefits will be two fold. Firstly, you will become incredibly fit. Secondly, you will be so used to the routine of it all that come match days you won't have to bother catching a bus, a train or use the park and ride and therefore avoid all the frustration that us lesser mortals have to endure. :cheers:

D

Deleted User X18H

What is the railway route?

Well - you start off parallel to Freehold Terrace, then cross the Gyratory and along Harrington Road. You can take on the old halt here. Come off at Totland Road this should bring you near to Elm Grove school and the northern portal of the tunnel. Then roughly follow Hallett Road and Glynde Road to Freshfield Road then follow this South to the bingo hall . Here you will find the south portal of the tunnel and the former site of the old Kemp Town goods yard and terminus.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well - you start off parallel to Freehold Terrace, then cross the Gyratory and along Harrington Road. You can take on the old halt here. Come off at Totland Road this should bring you near to Elm Grove school and the northern portal of the tunnel. Then roughly follow Hallett Road and Glynde Road to Freshfield Road then follow this South to the bingo hall . Here you will find the south portal of the tunnel and the former site of the old Kemp Town goods yard and terminus.

Bingo Hall by Screwfix/ Brighton College? I'm up for trying this. Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here