Page 19 of 67 FirstFirst ... 91617181920212229 ... LastLast

Thread: Restaurant 2018

Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Tubthumper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Going back to your original post you make a good point about using it, or losing it. Jay Rayner has written some good pieces recently about this topic, and challenging common arguments about pricing in restaurants. Iíll see if I can dig them out.

Edit: hereís one

If you want to be able to eat out, you should fork out
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...staurant-meals
    I would give this 20 thumbs up if I could

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Yes Chef View Post
      I would give this 20 thumbs up if I could
      Agree. I have a lot of time for Jay Rayner. His food reviews are great and in tune with my tastes but his broader writing about food and restaurants raises many good points.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      Lunch in the Snowdrop in Lewes at the weekend.

Menu is a bit confused with some odds, annoying items (beetroot mash with liver ffs, there's normal mash elsewhere on the menu just use that) so wasn't overly confident when we got there but my GOD they can cook a burger. 13 quid with fries and salad means it's not the cheapest but you won't find much better, indeed I rate it above the Coggings and Co burger. The salad was a proper dressed effort too, not just some leaves thrown on the board (this was a bit annyoing but it was a covered wooden baord with some parchment type paper).

Sticky toffee pudding was passable, though nothing on the ofrering at Busby and Wilds which is the best dessert in the world.

The beer is great in there, good variety and it's kept very well.

Really good experience all in all. 8/10
      NEW SCHTUMMCAST. MORE VIBES AVAILABLE HERE >>>>>> http://soundcloud.com/schtumm/schtum...0-neal-schtumm

0 Not allowed!
      Going back to your original post you make a good point about using it, or losing it. Jay Rayner has written some good pieces recently about this topic, and challenging common arguments about pricing in restaurants. Iíll see if I can dig them out.

Edit: hereís one

Whist interesting there is also the perception of what is value for money. Appreciate some whinge for the sake of it but I think commenting of value for money is useful as well.
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Beach Hut View Post
      Whist interesting there is also the perception of what is value for money. Appreciate some whinge for the sake of it but I think commenting of value for money is useful as well.
      Value does not equal cheap.

Iíve derived more value from a meal costing in excess of £100 per head than many costing £10 per head.
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Going back to your original post you make a good point about using it, or losing it. Jay Rayner has written some good pieces recently about this topic, and challenging common arguments about pricing in restaurants. I’ll see if I can dig them out.

Edit: here’s one

I agree with Rayner .... to a point. I'm fully prepared to pay the correct price for eating out BUT it still has to be value for money - not just the food itself but the service and experience. You can get some cracking deals from independents in the city - Semolina, Cin Cin, The Witchez to name a handful - yet you can also get the pretentious over-hyped, over priced stuff - 64 Degrees ( yes, controversial I know ) and to a lesser extent Hotel Du Vin as an example.

Rayner also fails to address the saturation of the market - here and London suffer from this in particular. I use both independents and chains but my use of the later is never at the cost of the former - it often depends on if I fancy a very quick cheap bite over a luxurious meal.
      BAN Village Idiots
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Westdene Seagull View Post
      I agree with Rayner .... to a point. I'm fully prepared to pay the correct price for eating out BUT it still has to be value for money - not just the food itself but the service and experience. You can get some cracking deals from independents in the city - Semolina, Cin Cin, The Witchez to name a handful - yet you can also get the pretentious over-hyped, over priced stuff - 64 Degrees ( yes, controversial I know ) and to a lesser extent Hotel Du Vin as an example.

Rayner also fails to address the saturation of the market - here and London suffer from this in particular. I use both independents and chains but my use of the later is never at the cost of the former - it often depends on if I fancy a very quick cheap bite over a luxurious meal.
      That begs the next question - what is the price ?

Seems value for money is insignificant
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post

I’ve derived more value from a meal costing in excess of £100 per head than many costing £10 per head.
      As long as I don’t feel ripped off I’m usually happy when it comes to “value”. I just need to be confident that, all things considered, price is justified.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by CHAPPERS View Post
      Lunch in the Snowdrop in Lewes at the weekend.

Menu is a bit confused with some odds, annoying items (beetroot mash with liver ffs, there's normal mash elsewhere on the menu just use that) so wasn't overly confident when we got there but my GOD they can cook a burger. 13 quid with fries and salad means it's not the cheapest but you won't find much better, indeed I rate it above the Coggings and Co burger. The salad was a proper dressed effort too, not just some leaves thrown on the board (this was a bit annyoing but it was a covered wooden baord with some parchment type paper).

Sticky toffee pudding was passable, though nothing on the ofrering at Busby and Wilds which is the best dessert in the world.

The beer is great in there, good variety and it's kept very well.

Really good experience all in all. 8/10
      I remember @The Spanish described The Snowdrop as “peak Lewes”

It’s a lovely place imho.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post

I’ve derived more value from a meal costing in excess of £100 per head than many costing £10 per head.
      This is interesting as what constitutes value? I’ve been to many top restaurants around the world costing sometimes stupid amounts, yes the food was amazing but value for money? I don’t think any meal costing over £100 per head can be called value for money.