Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] O/T Egypt in February

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Looking for a week of sun at the end of February, warm enough to laze by the pool/beach. Egypt especially looks great value for All-Inclusive. Any one been in February before, what is the temperature like, and any reason why Hurghada in particular is so cheap ? Thanks in advance

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I've been many times. Hurghada would hopefully be 20 degrees ish at the end of Feb. Its pretty arid there, high humidity, a pool is required.

It has been a fair bit cheaper since the terror attack. I prefer Sharm to be honest. If you get all inclusive check that the hotel is walkable to the beach or runs a shuttle or you may end up not leaving the complex. Both are great value, but i definitely prefer the snorkelling and diving more in Sharm. If you want to really chill and cheap as chips and decide to go to Sharm head up to Dahab for a couple of days. There in not much to do there! Just eat (tons of good places cheap and good especially fish), have a cold drink, and do as little as possible!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I wouldn't go anywhere where ISIS might be your hosts.

well that rules you out of a fair few away games and a whole heap of places. Shit happens everywhere. I'm not advocating waling round Syria with a Lonely Planet in hand but Egypt is relatively safe (I have been there thrice while terror attacks did occur mind)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I did Sharm for the same reason, at the same time, it was perfect.
But you really have to mean lazy winter sun because there's not much else if, like me, you get a bit 'twitchy' after 3 or 4 days.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
But you really have to mean lazy winter sun because there's not much else if, like me, you get a bit 'twitchy' after 3 or 4 days.

Tends to be why I dont do all inclusives really. Love walking round Sharm after a day on the boats and selecting a huge fish from the displays. Also why I tend to pop up to Dahab, break it up a little and its a little more Egyption if you like

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Went once to Egypt and to be honest thought it rather shabby and run down so prefer Canary Islands

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Went once to Egypt and to be honest thought it rather shabby and run down so prefer Canary Islands

Where abouts did you go? Its a huge place and yeah vast places are run down

Not really the touristy areas though (well eg Luxor, Aswan, Cairo but you go there for different reasons)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tends to be why I dont do all inclusives really. Love walking round Sharm after a day on the boats and selecting a huge fish from the displays. Also why I tend to pop up to Dahab, break it up a little and its a little more Egyption if you like

Naama Bay next bit down is funny, it's like 'Disney does the Middle East'.
That said though had a lovely evening sitting in a rooftop bar.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Might stretch to a bit of snorkelling/scuba but everyday life is v hectic so doing nothing for a few days will suit me

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Might stretch to a bit of snorkelling/scuba but everyday life is v hectic so doing nothing for a few days will suit me

Again in Sharm, you can get a day out for about 40 Euros on a boat stopping at 3 to 5 different reefs. You dont even need to go in if you dont want, some just chill on the boat and eat the delicious food. It is really chilled and relaxing. Bring your own snorkel and mask if you do. The hire options arent economical, arent in the best condition and I would never use a snorkel that has been rented out every day for the last 5 years

Gordon reef, Jackson reef are teeming with beautiful fish

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Again in Sharm, you can get a day out for about 40 Euros on a boat stopping at 3 to 5 different reefs. You dont even need to go in if you dont want, some just chill on the boat and eat the delicious food. It is really chilled and relaxing. Bring your own snorkel and mask if you do. The hire options arent economical, arent in the best condition and I would never use a snorkel that has been rented out every day for the last 5 years

Gordon reef, Jackson reef are teeming with beautiful fish

We stayed at a very upmarket hotel, the Prime Minster was there at the same time.
Anyhoo there was a pontoon across the shallows allowing you to jump into the sea off the coral cliff face.
I spent a long time snorkeling.

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
well that rules you out of a fair few away games and a whole heap of places. Shit happens everywhere. I'm not advocating waling round Syria with a Lonely Planet in hand but Egypt is relatively safe (I have been there thrice while terror attacks did occur mind)

I was kidding a bit.There are plenty of places where ISIS could be your host so the chances of getting hit are remote.Sharm is somewhere I would consider in the winter although I assume UK operators were still not flying there.However before I would go there for winter sun I would have to go back to Dubai.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I was kidding a bit.There are plenty of places where ISIS could be your host so the chances of getting hit are remote.Sharm is somewhere I would consider in the winter although I assume UK operators were still not flying there.However before I would go there for winter sun I would have to go back to Dubai.

I've been to Dubai about 15-20 times. Does it count if you dont leave the airport? In which case I have never been

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here