Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] The Latte levy

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Pret give 50p off for anyone using their own cup.

Starbucks offer a discount too.

About time we all thought more about our plastic waste

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Pret give 50p off for anyone using their own cup.

Starbucks offer a discount too.

About time we all thought more about our plastic waste

50p off that's 10p more than I pay for my coffee in the morning.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Apparently Exeter Rugby club have reusable beer containers. You pay £1 deposit and then get that back at the end of the game, or take it home and use it next match.

Would that work at the Amex?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apparently Exeter Rugby club have reusable beer containers. You pay £1 deposit and then get that back at the end of the game, or take it home and use it next match.

Mentioned on the plastics thread. Sussex CCC do this at Hove, and also happens at Twickenham. Great idea.

Re the latte tax, has to be a good thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Deposits on beer “glasses” are common practice here in bars, concert venue and football grounds. At the football many get left for kids to collect and earn a few quid. The majority of glass and plastic bottles have deposits which are redeemable at supermarkets as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Deposits on beer “glasses” are common practice here in bars, concert venue and football grounds. At the football many get left for kids to collect and earn a few quid. The majority of glass and plastic bottles have deposits which are redeemable at supermarkets as well.

So, what you're saying is, it would happen in Germany

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I have never understood paying £2-£3 for something that must cost a fraction of a penny to produce. I know the overheads for coffee shops must be really high, but just shows how gullible the general public is.

It's not even beer!!!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A good incentive then?

Typical left wing shite. Tax people instead of banning these cups and forcing the makers to make ones that can recycled which is not be beyond the whit of man

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Would it not be better to design / invent a take-away hot drink cup that is re-cyclable ?

I think this is a good idea, and one of my local coffee shops does use recyclable cups and I do use them. But my personal situation is that as I buy a take-away coffee every morning (at the very least) I could not see any argument against buying a reusable cup. Over 200 of my cups a year just seems a waste of resources regardless of wether they can be recycled or not.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Would it not be better to design / invent a take-away hot drink cup that is re-cyclable ?

I've not read the article, but a TV piece I saw on this yesterday suggested currently 1 in 400 disposable cups is recyclable.

Something like this was shown in the same article as another alternative: http://amzn.to/2AAyO1c

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Typical left wing shite. Tax people instead of banning these cups and forcing the makers to make ones that can recycled which is not be beyond the whit of man

I think it was Tory’s who suggested this?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think this is a good idea, and one of my local coffee shops does use recyclable cups and I do use THEM. But my personal situation is that as I buy a take-away coffee every morning (at the very least) I could not see any argument against buying a reusable cup. Over 200 of my cups a year just seems a waste of resources regardless of wether they can be recycled or not.

So you use them why not just the one? So I take it you've bought "them" and are using "them" every time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have never understood paying £2-£3 for something that must cost a fraction of a penny to produce. I know the overheads for coffee shops must be really high, but just shows how gullible the general public is.

It's not even beer!!!

If someone had said, 20 years ago, that the future will be bursting at the seams with coffee which can cost the same price as a beer you’d have been carted off.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Stupid idea.

Why should I have to carry around a reusable cup on the basis that I may at some point during the day want a hot drink. It's not going to fit in my pockets.

Also a take away coffee becomes more expensive than a have in coffee, but if there is a rush an the cafe has no more china cups as they are behind in washing them up, do I have to still pay the tax for a take away cup although I'm not taking it away.

Rather than apply yet another indirect tax, it would be better for the coffee chains to develop a fully recyclable cup, an trade on their Green policies.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So you use them why not just the one? So I take it you've bought "them" and are using "them" every time.

Apologies if I wasn’t clear. I have a glass and plastic re-usable cup which I typically carry with me on work days. If I need a take-away coffee and don’t have this cup with me I go to a place which uses disposable re-cyclable cups.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here