Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What can be done to make midweek games at The Amex less of a pain in the arse?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
As fantastic as our stadium is, the ticket sales for Monday just go to show how inconvenient it is getting to (and in particular) from the Amex for evening fixtures.

I know there are other factors too for this game but the general feeling is that a Monday night is an absolute ballache. Transitionally there are lots of empty seats at night games, and not just kids ones either.

Is there anything the club can/should be doing to improve things?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Nothing.

Too many people who have only recently followed Brighton since attendances dropped at the Goldstone forget that not since the 80's have we seen large crowds at home. There's hardly any difference in getting to our ground than many others up and down the country, some much worse with less attendance! The club offer something no other club does, I'm afraid too many want and expect everything to be done for them.

Like those complaining about ticket pricing, then complain about recruitment, then selling our better players if we go down.

This is a reality in the top leagues in this country some can't grasp.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Night games traditionally have more of an atmosphere to them. It’s only the Palace Cup game that seems undersold- other mid-week games have been well supported. I don’t think the train strike has helped with sales.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As fantastic as our stadium is, the ticket sales for Monday just go to show how inconvenient it is getting to (and in particular) from the Amex for evening fixtures.

I know there are other factors too for this game but the general feeling is that a Monday night is an absolute ballache. Transitionally there are lots of empty seats at night games, and not just kids ones either.

Is there anything the club can/should be doing to improve things?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Yes.

The club can make sure that games that require Goon Expresses for away fans are not scheduled for the evening when other fans have tight schedules for their own trains home.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For me personally go back to the Wednesday afternoon kick offs when it was half day closing in the shops. Wouldnt be very popular with most other people though.

Probably cant be done but run a train every 15 minuites Brighton>Falmer>Lewes>Falmer>Brighjton from 9.45 for `1 hour.to clear the crowds. also Buses Falmer to The Old Steine non stop then back again for the same period of time. Once in the town travel home is easier.

Last edited:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
For me personally go back to the Wednesday afternoon kick offs when it was half day closing in the shops. Wouldnt be very popular with most other people though.
Floodlights came into the English game in the mid 1950s, though I expect they weren't at every league ground until quite a few years later. When there were no floodlights there would be no evenings games. And indeed, 3PM Saturday afternoon wouldn't have worked in Winter, either.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Floodlights came into the English game in the mid 1950s, though I expect they weren't at every league ground until quite a few years later. When there were no floodlights there would be no evenings games. And indeed, 3PM Saturday afternoon wouldn't have worked in Winter, either.

Saturday 3pm kick offs were changed to 2pm for League games and even 1.30 for local football.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
ONE non TV PL League game at the Amex all season.

The only thing that can be ome is not to have any televised home games, than 18 out of the 19 home games would have been Saturday 3pm.

The thread should really be about home mid week cup games or home televised games which both have different issues

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Short of moving the Amex to Brighton or Hove, there's nothing significant that can be done. Come final whistle you're suddenly acutely aware that you're stuck in the back of beyond, vying for limited transport options with tens of thousands of others who just the same as you just want to get home ASAP because they've got an early start in the morning.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Stay in the Premier League. As we’ve had only 2 evening games this season and unlikely to have any more.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Short of moving the Amex to Brighton or Hove, there's nothing significant that can be done. Come final whistle you're suddenly acutely aware that you're stuck in the back of beyond, vying for limited transport options with tens of thousands of others who just the same as you just want to get home ASAP because they've got an early start in the morning.

Who wants the ground located back in Brighton or Hove, those of us without an option but to drive don't want to find a parking place in the most car unfriendly city in the country, no thanks. Many Brighton fans live outside Brighton

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Move the stadium to the foot of my stairs.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
As far as tomorrow goes, the club could have let it be known that we would put out a full strength squad and would be going all-out to beat Palace. Charging £25 and making it clear that the club aren't bothered effectively says "don't bother, we aren't"

On a related point, are there really grown up people who would't bother because they have to get up early ? Surely one late(ish) night won't kill them, will it ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For those West of Brighton it would be fantastic if it was possible to have a train that doesn’t require a change in Brighton itself, particularly on the way home.

And, technically at least, it is possible. On a couple of occasions, purely by chance, I’ve been on a Worthing -> Brighton train that when, it arrived in Brighton, it became a Lewes service so no changing required to get to Falmer.

It would need some management, such as not actually stopping in a brighton (or not opening the doors) to ty and ensure that it was only used by those going West of Brighton itself.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Night games traditionally have more of an atmosphere to them. It’s only the Palace Cup game that seems undersold- other mid-week games have been well supported. I don’t think the train strike has helped with sales.

Exactly.

Plus it's on TV.

Plus neither side will take the competition seriously.

Plus both sides will field second string sides.

Returning to the original post, have there been "lots of empty seats at night games"? That's not my perception. I did notice a lot of empty seats at the Bournemouth game though.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
For all games they need to look at the transport after the game.

No they really don't we're are adults (well most of us) and I'm sure we can sort ourselves out. The club already does more than most and as been shown time and time again everyone gets away, just because you may have to wait a while, tough. Chelsea, Wembley, Arsenal, Fulham, Reading, WYCOMBE!, Palace, Swansea to name a few that are far worse to get away from.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I have said I cannnor see why Brighton & Hove Buses cannor run any spare buses in the garage to Falmer and go around the roundabout back on the A270 stopping at Falmer Station /Univerfsity then Old Steine, After the Bournemouth game we had a 45 minute wait as a 28 or 29 when approaching Falmer Station?university stop saw the crowd and displayed the Not In Serevice sign and drove straight on without stopping.. Being a Sunday service it meant a very long wait. which could so easily have been avoided for many.

This has nothing to do with being adults if the transport isnt available you cant use it. The quicker they can clear The Amex crowd and traffic the quicker the traffic returns to normal.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
For those West of Brighton it would be fantastic if it was possible to have a train that doesn’t require a change in Brighton itself, particularly on the way home.

And, technically at least, it is possible. On a couple of occasions, purely by chance, I’ve been on a Worthing -> Brighton train that when, it arrived in Brighton, it became a Lewes service so no changing required to get to Falmer.

It would need some management, such as not actually stopping in a brighton (or not opening the doors) to ty and ensure that it was only used by those going West of Brighton itself.

The problem you'd have with that would be similar to the Eastbourne/Seaford scenario where people get on the platform and wait for thier preferred train (rather than change at Lewes) so the platform can be half full when the train leaves. It would be worse if the train didn't call at Brighton as those going there would have to wait for thiers unless you have two queues (and you would still get people joining the shortest one).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here