Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson out on loan Hughton says - does that make sense ?

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
When Goldson played against Watford he was given MOM and quite possibly deserved it . Of course he needs game time but he'll surely get that naturally as the season progresses . Hughton states he's to go out on loan and if he does we 'll get someone in as cover for him !! What a complete waste of time - he's proved he's good enough for the Premier league and we'll need him fit and uninjured when the time comes . We 've just spent a year of time and money getting him fit - and now off he goes to play somewhere else . Personally I'd play him anyway as his distribution was excellent ..

Seems a bizarre way to go - on this basis all cover players should go out on loan .

Concentrate on getting a striker and save Goldson for the latter part of the season as we'll probably need him.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
When Goldson played against Watford he was given MOM and quite possibly deserved it . Of course he needs game time but he'll surely get that naturally as the season progresses . Hughton states he's to go out on loan and if he does we 'll get someone in as cover for him !! What a complete waste of time - he's proved he's good enough for the Premier league and we'll need him fit and uninjured when the time comes . We 've just spent a year of time and money getting him fit - and now off he goes to play somewhere else . Personally I'd play him anyway as his distribution was excellent ..

Seems a bizarre way to go - on this basis all cover players should go out on loan .

Concentrate on getting a striker and save Goldson for the latter part of the season as we'll probably need him.

Yes, this does seem odd from a fan point of view -why get someone in, when we have him. But from his point of view, given that he clearly showed he is good enough, it must be very frustrating to continually be on the bench, when you could be playing regularly elsewhere. It does ambition, I suppose.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Dunk off in the summer, Goldson getting plenty of experience, get a solid older pro 'Upson' type in on loan who is surplus to a PLs 25 man squad.

Something like that.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Goldson has gone on record saying he wants to be playing week in week out.

We cant offer that so may as well go on loan with an immediate recall option.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
It's definitely a shame if he does. Quality and arguably our second best CB.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
That sounds like we are not about to lose Dunk, so I took that as rather encouraging news.

If Goldson spends 5 months playing every week in The Championship, then he comes back a better player than if he spends that time watching from our bench.

Immediate recall would be important though.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
He needs to play regular football to develop. Makes complete sense to loan him out to the Championship. Only if we get cover for him though. Let's not forget Uwe has also been superb every time we have called upon him.

If Dunk does go in the summer we have a great replacement for him already at the club, who could grow to be even better. But that will not happen sitting on the bench.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea

No such recall option is possible - as we can only recall in transfer windows - and also, if he went out on loan, he wouldn't be included in our squad of 25 - therefore unable to play even if we could recall him.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

yeah that makes sense with the immediate recall option , as.an aside my boy works at a chippy which mr goldson occasionally uses , nice bloke , always has time to talk to my son

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
He needs to play regular football to develop. Makes complete sense to loan him out to the Championship. Only if we get cover for him though. Let's not forget Uwe has also been superb every time we have called upon him.

If Dunk does go in the summer we have a great replacement for him already at the club, who could grow to be even better. But that will not happen sitting on the bench.

spot on

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I think it makes sense as long as we get a good back-up centre half in. What made far less sense for me from the press conference was that Skalak is unlikely to be going anywhere. I can only see him as a waste of one space in the 25 man squad. I'd be amazed if he played a minute of Premier League football this season - he has Knockaert, March, Izquierdo, Brown, Schelotto and possibly Rosenior all ahead of him. Of course, what Hughton says and what he really thinks may be 2 entirely different things (and he wouldn't want to knock Skalak's confidence before Monday) but, taking what he says at face value, I'm very surprised (and if I had a choice of having either Skalak or Murphy in the 25-man squad, I'd have gone for Murphy every time)...

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Is everyone forgetting that the fella had a major operation not long ago? I suspect he wants to see how he holds up playing each week and to keep improving too, as it was not too long ago that he made a step up to the championship. This is a sensible move from the club - give a young and developing defender the games neccesary to improve and gauge his capabilities at a level he has proved himself at, whilst not ‘risking’ counting on him as a backup (Incase he struggles physically or mentally post op) and keeping him happy in the meantime.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It makes perfect sense. He is a professional footballer recovering from a serious injury/operation and has not played regular football in over a year. He needs to play regardless of circumstances.

However if he does go out on loan, we need to sign a replacement as cover for the rest of the season.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
I completely understand where the OP is coming from, but I respectfully disagree. I think Hughton rates Goldson highly and that he's looking at ways in which the player can develop further to be a consistent part of the first team in future seasons.

I too thought that he was immense against Watford, but we're not privy to what happens in training week in and week out and I trust Hughton's judgement in this. I think Hughton sees Duffy and Dunk as his consistent first choices for the remainder of the season, but he'll be only too aware that we'll be fielding offers for Dunk this summer - the likes of which the club will struggle to turn down. We need to have a succession plan in place, and Goldson will be much more valuable to us with Championship games under his belt than if he was just sitting on the bench for the next 6 months.

Hughton has always struck me as a manager with a long-term vision, and his plan for Connor forms part of this strategy. It was what Chris intended at the start of the season, and it may be that our defensive target of last summer has come available again.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Not bizarre at all - and it's not all cover players going out on loan, it's one young player who has only played a handful of games above League 2 level, and who wants regular game time after not playing for almost a year because of major surgery. So long as we can get a reliable 'old hand' on loan for half a season, any other plan would be complete garbage.
I believe in this day and age, with a recruitment team and not just one person, with the aid of computers and mobile phones, not to mention terrific leadership from CH, TB and PB, to work on getting a striker in at the same time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I completely understand where the OP is coming from, but I respectfully disagree. I think Hughton rates Goldson highly and that he's looking at ways in which the player can develop further to be a consistent part of the first team in future seasons.

I too thought that he was immense against Watford, but we're not privy to what happens in training week in and week out and I trust Hughton's judgement in this. I think Hughton sees Duffy and Dunk as his consistent first choices for the remainder of the season, but he'll be only too aware that we'll be fielding offers for Dunk this summer - the likes of which the club will struggle to turn down. We need to have a succession plan in place, and Goldson will be much more valuable to us with Championship games under his belt than if he was just sitting on the bench for the next 6 months.

Hughton has always struck me as a manager with a long-term vision, and his plan for Connor forms part of this strategy. It was what Chris intended at the start of the season, and it may be that our defensive target of last summer has come available again.

Great post

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Dunk off in the summer, Goldson getting plenty of experience, get a solid older pro 'Upson' type in on loan who is surplus to a PLs 25 man squad.

Something like that.

Yup. This. Goldson has said that he wants to play and, given that, the only options are to loan him out, sell him, or start him instead of Duffy. I'm quite tempted by that last option, although it'd be something of a gamble, but CH needs to do what he thinks is best and he doesn't seem to want to break up the D&D partnership, and he certainly shouldn't respond to Goldson's threats/pleas to start by ditching Duffy if he feels that is an undeserved move. I don't want him sold, so the loan seems the best option. That way, he'll have his wish of game time, which is understandable and impressive given he hasn't played much since the end of the 2015/16 season, and he'll gain further experience in the process.
And, as you say, a surplus experienced PL defender would be a good option. One thing worth bearing in mind is the Home Grown Player situation, which is getting quite dicey.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would we not do better to upgrade him to replace either Dunk or Duffy and perhaps solve our set piece problems also bringing in another CB where does that place Hunemier.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think it makes sense as long as we get a good back-up centre half in. What made far less sense for me from the press conference was that Skalak is unlikely to be going anywhere. I can only see him as a waste of one space in the 25 man squad. I'd be amazed if he played a minute of Premier League football this season - he has Knockaert, March, Izquierdo, Brown, Schelotto and possibly Rosenior all ahead of him. Of course, what Hughton says and what he really thinks may be 2 entirely different things (and he wouldn't want to knock Skalak's confidence before Monday) but, taking what he says at face value, I'm very surprised (and if I had a choice of having either Skalak or Murphy in the 25-man squad, I'd have gone for Murphy every time)...

I'm with you re Skalak, and remember that Baldock has also played in a wide position during the early games of CH, but I do wonder whether it's worth getting rid at this point without a (superior) replacement. We've got enough cover in that area as you've identified to wait to see if we can get someone in at a decent price.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here