Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Video Assistant Referees on Monday

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
So Monday’s games sees the first trial of VARs at the Palace game. There is another thread discussing the pros and cons of VARs - but another topic is just gaining an understanding of how it will work on Monday and the incidents the VARs will and will not get involved in. I can see lots of fans not being entirely clear on what is going on come Monday.

This article has a go at explaining it-

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...stamp-out-match-fixing?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

If anyone finds a better explanation please post below..

221a84c34480e3a6bea3a98b427a8510.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Interesting - I'm waiting for the first player to do the "square box" sign when he claims to have been done out of a decision. Willing to bet it's zahaha

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Seen it in action at a Saracens match, the atmosphere still remains, the decision is remote from the referee, thus leading to nomobbing of the referee by players, the crowd remain interested and the best humanly decision is arrived at. I would like to see many more players penalised for 'simulation',late challenges and off the ball incidents. It does not disrupt the game, it adds to the suspense and will end up shutting down the post match comments of the likes of Wenger and Mourinhio.

The sending off of Sunnybill Williams in the Rugby World Cup is testament to its strength, I trust football referees will do the same and help provide us all with a better outcome, Wilson would have gone for his stamp at the weekend, imagine the difference that would have made to the match.

Can only be a good thing.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Seen it in action at a Saracens match, the atmosphere still remains, the decision is remote from the referee, thus leading to nomobbing of the referee by players, the crowd remain interested and the best humanly decision is arrived at. I would like to see many more players penalised for 'simulation',late challenges and off the ball incidents. It does not disrupt the game, it adds to the suspense and will end up shutting down the post match comments of the likes of Wenger and Mourinhio.

The sending off of Sunnybill Williams in the Rugby World Cup is testament to its strength, I trust football referees will do the same and help provide us all with a better outcome, Wilson would have gone for his stamp at the weekend, imagine the difference that would have made to the match.

Can only be a good thing.

But doesn't get it a tad boring sitting around wondering what the referee is looking at and not being able to see the footage yourself, and not knowing why the eventual decision was reached?

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Thanks for posting the rules, slightly contradictory though in places. One line says they will review decisions throughout the game and alert the ref to any mistakes for them to restart the game once the ref has reviewed the decision. It then goes on to say that corners will not be reviewed. Surely if a goal is scored from an incorrectly awarded corner that can’t be right.
I’m still not sure that if there’s a foul on the edge of the Palace box for us to gain possession, we break away and score, is play taken back to the Palace box and a free kick awarded?
Time will tell and I’m sure eventually it will be a good thing but I suspect there will be some highly contentious decisions even with VAR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
According to that total stroker Mark Bright, the Palace players had their sit-down with Mike Riley about the VAR this morning.

Apparently the biggest revelation was that Zaha gets his own special noise.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
What happens if there's absolutely nothing contentious in the game on Monday. The players have probably been asked to dive around and cheat a bit to give it a good workout.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What happens if there's absolutely nothing contentious in the game on Monday. The players have probably been asked to dive around and cheat a bit to give it a good workout.

What do you mean 'asked' to dive around?

It was quite funny listening to the last Sky commentary from Martin Tyler, when you would have been forgiven for thinking the VAR was being tested for the first time in Sky's Carabao Cup semi-final. Monday (BT Sport) wasn't mentioned at all.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why don't we just give credit to the inspiring force behind this innovation and call it Zaha TV?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interesting - I'm waiting for the first player to do the "square box" sign when he claims to have been done out of a decision. Willing to bet it's zahaha

I bet he doesn't play. They'll claim it's squad rotation but we'll all know the real reason is that his constant diving would cruelly exposed to the video refs, thus rendering him useless.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My original thought was why not show it on the big screen so that we can all see it but then we would have 20k+ trying to influence the ref. It all depends on how far they go back into the build up of a goal as I am under the impression that in rugby they go back to the move prior to the run for a try, but I could be wrong ie if the player runs out of touch or receives the ball illegally it is disallowed. So one would assume a corner incorrectly given would rule out the goal.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
But doesn't get it a tad boring sitting around wondering what the referee is looking at and not being able to see the footage yourself, and not knowing why the eventual decision was reached?

No, they show it all on the screen and its not any less boring than watching some overpaid premadonna feigning injury and robbing us, the fans of a full 90 minutes of football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No, they show it all on the screen and its not any less boring than watching some overpaid premadonna feigning injury and robbing us, the fans of a full 90 minutes of football.

Be careful what you wish for.

This VARs is going to open up a whole new can of worms. We're just going to be swapping one set of controversies (that we've always had) for a whole new set. You're still going to have humans involved in interpreting decisions.

Check out Juve's 2nd goal vs Torino in the Coppa Italia this week. They go 2-0 up, the fans celebrate....oh but hang on, the guy in the stands thinks there was a foul in the buildup. So all the celebrations go on hold as the ref goes to the touchline and watches a replay of what someone else thought might be a foul. The ref decides its not a foul (it was one of those 'borderline' ones), the goal eventually stands, and the Torino manager goes POSTAL.

Seriously, is this what we want our game to become ? Spontaneous goal celebrations on ice while we hang around as the ref peers into a monitor ? Not for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here