Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brown ahead of Baldock for the final 5 minutes in the Bournemouth game

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can anyone follow Hughton's thinking here? Because I can't. We know Brown doesn't work hard to chase down the ball. Baldock ABSOLUTELY does.

Note: I'm aware Baldock wasn't on the bench for the game, my point is why is Brown ahead of him in the pecking order?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Can anyone follow Hughton's thinking here? Because I can't. We know Brown doesn't work hard to chase down the ball. Baldock ABSOLUTELY does.

Note: I'm aware Baldock wasn't on the bench for the game, my point is why is Brown ahead of him in the pecking order?

Because that is who is available, Baldock is not ready and will probably never play for us again.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
No one knows. If Baldock was truly ready then he would of got on at Chelsea when 2 down.

Total mystery.

Cant rely on him unfortunately , even if he gets back in the team the next thing is just round the corner.

Its harsh but need to get rid and replace with much better quality

Brown probably needs games but in the small chances he has got so far he hasn't done himself much justice. I do think there is a player in there but jurys out if the Championship is more his level. Hoping he will still come good.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I thought someone had had it from the horse's mouth (SB himself) that he was "fully fit" about 3 weeks ago....?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Even more so why when Jose could barely run after 70 mins was he left on ? I know defensively he is better than March but we had no outlet when we had the ball. Utterly baffling tactics by Hughton against Bournemouth

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Even more so why when Jose could barely run after 70 mins was he left on ? I know defensively he is better than March but we had no outlet when we had the ball. Utterly baffling tactics by Hughton against Bournemouth

We did look VERY tired (understandably) in the final 15 and no, I couldn't understand the logic of leaving subs so late.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Or his presence still sat on the bench for a few games at the end of the those games suggests he is not ready.

Whatever else might be up for debate, there is no point whatsoever in filling one of the places on the bench with a player you categorically know will not be ready to play. I can't see any way Hughton - or any other manager, no matter how loopy - would do that, so it's a 'no' from me for that idea.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bingo, it's not that hard to work out, if we do not see him on the field Monday at some point, he is history.

That is the my thinking of the way it will go. There is obviously an issue with him he is either fit physically and mentally to play and/ or be on the bench or he is not. I noted on another thread that Chelsea have called back Kasey Palmer and it was suggested they will do the same with Brown then send him out again on loan at the end of January to Huddersfield. I think that could happen as he will get more game time with them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
More to the point why did CH wait for an injury before making any subs when Bournemouth already had three subs on and half our team looked absolutely knackered?

Baldock will so off the pace that I’m not convinced he should be anywhere near the team until he has played a few games for whatever team CH can put him in which isn’t the first team in the Premier League.

As said before if he doesn’t get on the pitch against Palace the issues must run deeper than just an injury recovery.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We did look VERY tired (understandably) in the final 15 and no, I couldn't understand the logic of leaving subs so late.

Substitutions are strange old things. We all think its fresh legs and therefore bringing the result home, but as Bruno showed, no matter how good you are, getting into a game of that pace, even with 25mins to go is not easy. Their equaliser came 2 or 3mins after Schelotto went off. Not saying it had anything to do with it, but if you're holding a team at bay, which we were and still posing a threat, then making changes isn't necessarily going to help.

Who else would you have changed? Kayal for Gross, therefore taking away part of our attacking threat? Kayal for Stephens or Propper who have such a strong understanding now, and have such good legs, not sure that is benefitting you?

I could understand the logic. You only make subs if you think they will make you better. Howe had to change something because on 60mins we still looked the team most likely to score the next goal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
More to the point why did CH wait for an injury before making any subs when Bournemouth already had three subs on and half our team looked absolutely knackered?

Baldock will so off the pace that I’m not convinced he should be anywhere near the team until he hasn’t played a few games for whatever team CH can put him in which isn’t the first team.

Because CH only ever does like for like subs never ever tries to change a game and the way it is going. Could SB not have played last night at Haywards Heath or do the rules of the Sussex Senior Cup not permit him to.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Whatever else might be up for debate, there is no point whatsoever in filling one of the places on the bench with a player you categorically know will not be ready to play. I can't see any way Hughton - or any other manager, no matter how loopy - would do that, so it's a 'no' from me for that idea.

Unless it is only to build his confidence, and others in the back room staff think psychologically it would benefit the player being part of the match day squad.

Just a thought, I know nothing other than that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Because CH only ever does like for like subs never ever tries to change a game and the way it is going.

People have these impressions in their heads and they just cannot shake them...

Against Huddersfield he made a sub at HT, one at 63, one at 73.

Spurs, 62, 72, 78.

Liverpool double sub at 70, last at 77.

Burnley 63, 75, 83

Newcastle 62

I could go on but I can't be arsed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here