Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The club and the Palace game

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Am I the only one to think the club has deliberately failed to promote this game? After what happened in the league match, I think they want as low a crowd as possible to contain any trouble and avoid the ball-ache of dealing with large numbers of rival supporters. They have alreafy restricted the Palace allocation for this reason (as they did for the league game - despite other clubs coping perfectly well with games against rival teams with full allocations for both sets of fans).

For Premier League clubs, gate receipts only form a tiny fraction of revenue, dwarfed by TV money. The club will also save on stewarding costs, etc. They would have known the attendance would be low given it's Monday night, on TV and the lack of interest in the FA Cup, yet ticket prices are high at £25 and there are only five loyalty points up for grabs. If we had been playing another EPL club, say Burnley or Swansea, tickets would have been £15 and there'd be 15 loyalty points (there has been as many as 20 for home cup games in the past).

I think Paul Barber looked at this fixture and basically didn't fancy it. Wouldn't be surprised if this was done in coordination with the police, who certainly wouldn't have fancied it given their balls ups in the previous game (forgetting such basics as having officers on the Palace turnstiles and then lying about Palace fans having knives and knuckledusters, presumably to cover for their ineptitude). There has also been a distinct lack of marketing around this fixture.

It's massively disappointing that the stadium will only be half full. What message will this send to the players? If the club were at all concerned they would pull their finger out and change the loyalty points allocation. It seems pretty clear they are only interested in the sanitised, family-friendly version of the game and a match against our biggest rivals is too much of a problem for them to be bothered with.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
More disappointed with our fans that seemingly don't want to watch us play our rivals. Cup game and weakened sides or not... our rivals are our rivals surely ?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Am I the only one to think the club has deliberately failed to promote this game? After what happened in the league match, I think they want as low a crowd as possible to contain any trouble and avoid the ball-ache of dealing with large numbers of rival supporters. They have alreafy restricted the Palace allocation for this reason (as they did for the league game - despite other clubs coping perfectly well with games against rival teams with full allocations for both sets of fans).

For Premier League clubs, gate receipts only form a tiny fraction of revenue, dwarfed by TV money. The club will also save on stewarding costs, etc. They would have known the attendance would be low given it's Monday night, on TV and the lack of interest in the FA Cup, yet ticket prices are high at £25 and there are only five loyalty points up for grabs. If we had been playing another EPL club, say Burnley or Swansea, tickets would have been £15 and there'd be 15 loyalty points (there has been as many as 20 for home cup games in the past).

I think Paul Barber looked at this fixture and basically didn't fancy it. Wouldn't be surprised if this was done in coordination with the police, who certainly wouldn't have fancied it given their balls ups in the previous game (forgetting such basics as having officers on the Palace turnstiles and then lying about Palace fans having knives and knuckledusters, presumably to cover for their ineptitude). There has also been a distinct lack of marketing around this fixture.

It's massively disappointing that the stadium will only be half full. What message will this send to the players? If the club were at all concerned they would pull their finger out and change the loyalty points allocation. It seems pretty clear they are only interested in the sanitised, family-friendly version of the game and a match against our biggest rivals is too much of a problem for them to be bothered with.
All pretty close to the truth. Add to the mix that Chris Hughton's only interest in the match is game time for fringe players and you have a fixture that couldn't be more different to a PL game in terms of the club's approach to it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Palace have been unable to sell 2,000 tickets for the game to date, suggesting the allocation was pretty much spot on for them.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Add to the mix that Chris Hughton's only interest in the match is game time for fringe players

And Hodgson's too (https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2018/january/hodgson-on-cup-tie-team-selection/)...

"...even though the fans may not like to hear it, I know I am going to give some players who haven't been involved a chance to show what they can do and that will mean that one or two players who have been playing non-stop for the last eleven games may be left out."

Jul 7, 2003
I received an email from the club yesterday to remind me that tickets were still on sale.

Still won't be going though as I used the money to pay for away trip to WBA instead of the hassle to go and watch two reserve teams.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In fact, a quick check "over the road" shows that the Palace fans moaning and complaining about the small allocation, and bravado about bringing 4,000 and snapping up home area tickets was just a load of shit:

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showpost.php?p=14031901&postcount=839

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 11.12.46.png

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
More disappointed with our fans that seemingly don't want to watch us play our rivals. Cup game and weakened sides or not... our rivals are our rivals surely ?

The club aren't interested, and haven't been for many years now, in the FA Cup (and the League cup as well). That said it is up to the fans to buy tickets. They know who we're playing, the date and time of kick off etc so if they can't be arsed to go (as I suspect is the case for many of the no shows) then that is down to them and not the club. Apologies of course to those that can't make that time due to travel etc but I would suggest they are in the minority.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

The club's attitude towards his game, being so anal about it in every aspect, and the no show supporters who are not going because of last time are both an absolute disgrace.

You are correct, they are our fiercest and biggest rivals, irrespective of the reason for the game the stadium should be rammed to the rafters.

If this was against any of the top 4 on a Monday night in the FA cup even on TV it would have sold out by now.

I get not selling out against York on a Monday night on the TV but not this one.

Club and no show supporters on this one hang your head in shame.

(No show for work and genuine reasons etc are forgiven, the lame I'm scared, its hassle etc are not)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
...or are the club realising that the only thing they are interested in is the premier league and regard the cup as an unwelcome distraction.

I have mates who support teams like Palace. Pompey and Southampton who when we were topping the Championship told me to be careful what I wish for. Yes the Premier is the Holy Grail, but once you are there, the reality strikes and that is nothing else matters than staying in the premier. All the cup competitions are regarded with disdain as they lead to nothing and are a distraction. Managers don't want to risk players and fans have lost interest in cups.

I honestly cant remember this happening when we were in the first division many years ago...I seem to remember always putting out our best team in cup games....I suppose you could say that being relegated in 1983 but reaching the cup final masked the disappointment of going down, but it certainly want the be and end all and we didn't think we would suddenly go bust or it being the end of the world by going down.

Assuming that the top 6 are the clubs that will dominate entrance to the Champions League ( and the Europa cup where they don't want to be in that anyway), the premier league for the rest of the
teams is all about survival. If you geta result over a big six side that , is really a one off and to be savoured, but it is results against the teams outside the top 6 that is what matters.

I never understood ManU pulling out of the FA Cup to be in another competition at the time and i thought it was a betrayal of fans and disrespectful of the English game...now I understand 100% and I am sure that every club in the Prem and those fighting to get there in the Championship would do exactly the same ( or maybe just pull out and not play at all)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Palace have been unable to sell 2,000 tickets for the game to date, suggesting the allocation was pretty much spot on for them.
It will be interesting to see if they sell out their 2,000 once their many phases of ticket selling have been worked through...

My guess would be that given their recent run of good form their fans will have reasonable appetite for taking in an extra game. But for all the reasons why the demand for home tickets is less than half what it would be for a league game then in theory the same will be true for away fans. Perhaps their full demand for away tickets could be as high as 6K and they will sell out 2K for this game but, if so, it looks like it will be only just...

Edit: Seen Palace post saying that they won't sell out 2K... not surprised at all...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's more of a commentary on the sad state of the FA Cup if you ask me.

Back in the '80s when I started going regularly, FAC round 3 and 4 crowds against similar standard opposition were broadly in line with league gates. Later rounds were watched by considerably more. Nowadays, half of fans are not interested at all until round 5 or 6, and fans of the big 6 clubs don't even care until the semis when it becomes either the only genuine chance of silverware or part of an impressive-sounding double or treble.

If the club wants bigger cup crowds, they should get creative - offer season tickets as they are now, OR with a cup add-on, where holders get in to all FA/League Cup home games for free for an additional fixed price of £40 or something.

Jul 7, 2003
Club and no show supporters on this one hang your head in shame.

Go F.u.c.k. yourself you pious little shit. I've hardly missed a game home and away this season and supporter for over 40 years.

If I choose not to go to a glorified reserve game with all the hassle associated with it then that is my choice but I feel no reason to hang my head in shame. Some people on her really need to grow up over this match.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
...or are the club realising that the only thing they are interested in is the premier league and regard the cup as an unwelcome distraction.

I have mates who support teams like Palace. Pompey and Southampton who when we were topping the Championship told me to be careful what I wish for. Yes the Premier is the Holy Grail, but once you are there, the reality strikes and that is nothing else matters than staying in the premier. All the cup competitions are regarded with disdain as they lead to nothing and are a distraction. Managers don't want to risk players and fans have lost interest in cups.

I honestly cant remember this happening when we were in the first division many years ago...I seem to remember always putting out our best team in cup games....I suppose you could say that being relegated in 1983 but reaching the cup final masked the disappointment of going down, but it certainly want the be and end all and we didn't think we would suddenly go bust or it being the end of the world by going down.

Assuming that the top 6 are the clubs that will dominate entrance to the Champions League ( and the Europa cup where they don't want to be in that anyway), the premier league for the rest of the
teams is all about survival. If you geta result over a big six side that , is really a one off and to be savoured, but it is results against the teams outside the top 6 that is what matters.

I never understood ManU pulling out of the FA Cup to be in another competition at the time and i thought it was a betrayal of fans and disrespectful of the English game...now I understand 100% and I am sure that every club in the Prem and those fighting to get there in the Championship would do exactly the same ( or maybe just pull out and not play at all)

No different to when we were in the Championship then.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

I remember when we were going for the League one title we rested players in the cup.

Think everyone does it now , even L1 and L2 sides.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
for reference...

FA Cup Crowds at Amex
2012 v Wrexham 18K
2012 v Newcastle 21K
2013 v Newcastle 20K
2013 v Arsenal 27K
2014 v Hull 21K
2015 v Arsenal 30K
2016 v MK Dons 11K

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No different to when we were in the Championship then.

absolutely not. exactly the same.

At least with the Championship, you had the holy grail to shoot for..the aim when you are there is not to be one of the three worst teams in the Prem.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here