Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v Australia- 5th Test- Sydney 3rd-7th January 2018

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Seriously would not know what to do here if I won the toss. Lots of green on that wicket.

Edit: 4th-8th January.... Thinking English time....

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Late change: Mark Wood for Moen Ali. Probably not, but tempting.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Rain delayed the start but who will bat first

Probably best to bat- but you may need to tie the bowlers to the dressing room pipes as they will try to persuade you otherwise.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Falling like flies again.
Not sure that DRS is improving cricket, not being bias just miss the 'village green' feeling.

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Regardless of the result, it’s nice to have a fellow Brighton fan playing for England in Mason Crane.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Yep. He’s got a bad habit now of not converting scores. Be good once he does as he has the ability to score more than he’s doing now.

Vaughan talking about this at the moment on TMS, basically saying he has to stop cutting & especially hooking, just accumulate until the bowlers are ground down.

That's exactly what I used to do*

*In my dreams :blush:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Pathetic from England again. Work hard all day get in to a strong position then throw it away. Every test match we have been looking good at some point, every test match we fall apart when it gets to the point of actually pressing home that advantage. Heads should roll, Bayliss has not improved this side at all. Root has not batted well enough since being captain and his constant failures between 50 and 100 totally embody this side. Stoneman just isn't good enough, Vince is a walking slip practice machine, Moeen has stunk the place out all series, Broad has bowled dreadfully bar one spell and the other seamers are not up to the job. They look like they have not planned for this series at all, no pace, no genuine spin competition and the same batsmen who have collapsed time and time again for the last four years.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Having never played cricket I watch it with this in mind any time I come to comment or consider a viewpoint. Some time before Root was out he top edged a hook which fell short of two fielders waiting for that exact shot. Seems a baffling shot to play as it's risky at the best of times and especially so when they've set a field to it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Shit from Root and you never send Bairstow out there. Horrible time to come in. I'd rather lose two night watchmen.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
well that was a poor last 2 overs. from everywhere to nowhere in 12 balls.

10. Hazlewood has 2 to bowl at Moeen first thing in the morning. Could be carnage in the first hour given how long the English tail is this game.

Before the new ball was taken, with 220/3 on the board, it was England's day. 10 balls later and it's Australia's day and prospects of a very deficient first innings total looming.

Have to feel Root was done in by the ball before. He was lucky to survive that one, it's probably affected his thinking and resulted in the poor shot being played. Whether that's the case or not, though, it's yet another case of a 50+ score not being converted. It's interesting to compare with Smith: both have played roughly similar number of innings, and both have scored a similar number of 50+ scores. In fact, Root has more: 49 scores of 50 or more from 118 innings (41.5%), while Smith has 45 from 110 innings (40.9%). Where the stark difference lies is in the conversion of 50+ into 100+: Root has just 13 centuries (11% of all innings, 26.5% of those where 50 is reached) to Smith's 23 (20.9% of all innings, 51% of those where 50 is reached). That difference becomes even more in Smith's favour when you take into account his "first" career (picked as an all-rounder) where he didn't impress - Smith didn't have any 100+ scores until his 23rd innings, while Root's first his 10th innings. Smith's innings-to-centuries conversion rate since that first hundred is a massive 26%, while Root's is half that at 13%.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Shit from Root and you never send Bairstow out there. Horrible time to come in. I'd rather lose two night watchmen.

I'm of the opposite view. Night watchman is an absolutely shìt concept, so I'm glad Bairstow went out. A recognised batsman ought to be able to see out two overs, and just because he didn't on this occasion doesn't prove that it was a bad idea.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here